Hamstrings & IT bands

Options
Hi everyone! Is anybody else on here rehabbing injuries? I'm a runner, but tore my hamstring before a marathon in the fall and I"m trying to keep in shape but I tend to not enjoy working out as much without running. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to keep in running shape without aggrevating a healing hamstring and a stubborn IT Band?

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Swimming and/or water running if approved by your doc should work great - with a floatation vest you should be able to do deep water running.

As far as IT band...The Stick and/or a foam roller have been my best friend! Also yoga stretches like Pigeon and Cow Face are AMAZING for the IT band.

Are you working with a physical therapist? You probably are, but I'd definitely suggest that. I have a friend in a dance-heavy show, and she tore part of her calf muscle in the show one night. The show's doctor and PT out her in a boot and immobilized her for a few days, then did some kind of PT and she was able to go back in after 8 days off. I don't know how bad the tear was, but she definitely attributes her quick healing to an amazing PT.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? I've never had an issue with my hammy, so I don't know for sure. I would think you could swim and only use your good leg, or at least not over work your rehabbing leg.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'm such a copy cat.....
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is always good, burns lots of calories, and is not hard on the body. I also love power yoga.

Do you do anything for your IT bands? I have had issues with mine and use a foam roller after every run and most days I do cardio per the advice from a massage therapist and her trainer husband. Mine used to be tender to the touch and are much better now. Speedy Recovery!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'm such a copy cat.....

I think we posted at the same time. lol.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    In the last year, I've sprained my right IT band three times, and had a full (left) MCL tear; PT (and accupuncture) did wonders for me. When the MCL bothers me (it's still healing), I just wear the brace. But the IT, I find good regular stretching helps it a lot. Or more accurately, when I DON'T stretch properly, I notice it more. My favorite from PT was to lay down, and loop a rope (or an exercise band) around the front of the foot, then pull the leg straight across the body with the opposite arm.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the water running suggestion! I actually just learned to swim in the fall, but there is only one community pool in the area with very limited access so it's difficult to get there. I guess I should just make it fit in my schedule better :)

I have been doing physical therapy, I recently stopped going b/c they really weren't helpful. I went for three months, but I can do everything on my own outside of it.

It seems to be healing well, but I want to start picking up the mileage of running again and it won't tolerate it well!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Have you tried massage therapy and acupuncture.

I tore my hip flexor last year and had great success with both as well as physio therapy. I tried three different PT until I found one I was comfortable with and gave me results.

All the best.

Karen