Just turned 50 what do you do to keep in shape? Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Exercise....no diet.
  • chanaoleary
    Options
    I am 63 and weigh less than I did in high school.

I am a vegan - so no counting calories. Which is one of the things I love about being a vegan. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years before I made the full switch. (I use MFP to track vitamins to make sure I stay healthy there.I've just started - so it's fun to see where things fall.) I do yoga 4-5 times a week in class and then practice at home every day. Long walks with the doggies - which probably counts more for fun than exercise and I meditate for 20 minutes a day. I am on no prescription medications at all and my BP hovers at 110/70. My cholesterol is normal and my triglycerides are 85. (Normal range is 150 or below.)

I feel incredibly good, healthy and happy! :-D
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    the previous posters said:

No dieting, watching calorie intake, exercise - no dieting, watching calorie intake, exercise - no dieting, watching calorie intake, exercise -

I'm starting to see the outlines of a pattern here.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Happy 50th.

I'm 52. I try not to eat everything in sight (I only eat half of everything in sight) and I walk A LOT. I should probably be doing resistance training but been lazy and have all kinds of excuses. I'm in pretty darned good shape, though.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and weigh less than I did in high school.

I am a vegan - so no counting calories. Which is one of the things I love about being a vegan. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years before I made the full switch. (I use MFP to track vitamins to make sure I stay healthy there.I've just started - so it's fun to see where things fall.) I do yoga 4-5 times a week in class and then practice at home every day. Long walks with the doggies - which probably counts more for fun than exercise and I meditate for 20 minutes a day. I am on no prescription medications at all and my BP hovers at 110/70. My cholesterol is normal and my triglycerides are 85. (Normal range is 150 or below.)

I feel incredibly good, healthy and happy! :-D

I own a vegetarian cafe and, no word of a lie, I have vegan costumers who are grossly overweight. You can be a vegan and still eat a lot of calories and junk food.
  • Fairytern
    Fairytern Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will be turning 50 in February 2015. I was shopping at my local whole food/Health and Wellness grocery the other day and was told that I looked more like 30 when I set up my preferred customer account (including my birth date).

I agree with all those before me regarding no diet (in the vein of restriction and deprivation, fad diet) but a diet in the vein of eating healthy and using moderation as a lifestyle choice. Once you have established your calorific intake requirements using MFP the following should help:

Tip1: Clean Eating as much as possible. That is, fresh foods,especially vegetables, avoiding processed (in a can, pre-prepared food in a packet, ready-meals etc.) as much as possible;
    Tip2: Exercise at least 30 mins per day, 6 days per week, to elevated heart rate within the recommended max for my age (85% of 220 minus my age);
    Tip 3: Avoid high sugar, high fat, high salt foods;
    Tip 4: Keep wheat products to a minimum to minimise gluten and reduce stress on my digestive system (the sticky protein, gluten, is hard for the gut to process and in the US extra is added to many processed breads, including pizza dough, with a TON of hidden sugars that are not necessary). There are plenty of other carbs out there with less or no gluten;
    Tip 5: regularly eat high fibre foods to encourage digestive regularity (which tends to automatically occur when following Tip 1);
    Tip 6: Watch your Macronutrients (i.e. Carbs vs. Protein, Vs. Fat ratios); and
    Tip 7: hydrate.
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    HMR that my doc put me on for 12 weeks. My chol went from over 300 down to 103 1st mo.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Stay active, exercise, eat healthy, and burn all of your calories. It's no different from the same advice everyone under 50 should also follow.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm close to 50 and this has been the best form of keeping my weight healthy! Logging!!!! You can stick with this forever rather than fad diets
  • StillwaterLady
    StillwaterLady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow - I admire all the work you are doing. It's impressive and I appreciate the advice. I agree - seems like consensus is exercise, eat healthy and count calories - no diet. I that's the same advice I'd give my children - sometimes we don't take our own advice. Thanks - any other tips let me know or add me if you want. Thank you! Trish
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. When I turned 50 a year ago [just turned 51], I did an overall of the foods I had been eating and pay more attention to how my body reacts to the foods I do eat; I enter my foods on MFP, and I keep myself active whether it be at the gym, kayaking or taking long walks on weekends. I've integrated more vegetarian meals during the week although if I want a burger or steak, that's what I'm having. We all know that as we get older, our bodies don't burn the calories as fast as they used to so finding a proper balance between being active and food intake is key.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • positive2015
    positive2015 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nice reading this thread today felt low and sad about not being able to budge this wt this gave me renewed optimism. I am 52 yrs and all the suggestion point towards careful logging and calorie counting as the key factor.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and I have found that Weight Watchers works for me, but I also log what I eat on MFP as well. I know people frown on counting points but it seems to work. I like that I can eat what I want and still lose weight. I am slowly but surely learning portion control which is my biggest problem, I am also an emotional eater, bored, Tuesday, sunny day, rainy day eater!!! I have realized that this is about a life style change and not a diet. Exercise is very important to me as well.. I try to go to the gym at least 5 times a week. I started the C25K, spinning classes, elliptical and some strength training. Good luck to you!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    53 and another echo for no dieting - just watching what I eat and not cutting out anything. Tried many things along the way, low fat/ high carb, low glycemic, ridiculous amounts of exercise - they were all just temporary and the weight comes back. This time I'm still drinking beer - good beer mind! And I have an exercise schedule that is reasonable, lifting, running, biking, yoga, walking - it all keeps you fit.

One thing though - don't beat yourself up if you have a day where you can't stay the course. Pick yourself up and start fresh the next day. Too easy to throw your hands in the air and say" I can't do this!"

Good luck.
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Diets are not the answer. When I turned 50 I decided to do a lifestyle change, I eat less, watch my macros, and exercise more. It keeps the weight off and allows me to do the things I enjoy, biking, golfing, etc.

I hear a lot about macros. What are they?

I have always been "Weight Watcher" and the program really works because it is not a 'diet'. It is eating real food using correct portions.

I think we all know How To lose weight, it is just sticking with it. Occasional treats are great, just not all the time (which is my problem!!)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Happy 50. I turned 50 earlier this year.

For me, 80% of weight loss / weight control is calorie intake, calorie tracking and limiting the overly processed foods such as the white breads and other carbs / sugars.

For me, the other 20% is getting out and getting some exercise each day.

Good luck to you and feel free to include me as a friend if you would like.
  • StillwaterLady
    StillwaterLady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It does help to check in a couple of times a day. I found that one day I didn't do a shake and I was eating way above - more like I used to. While diets don't sound like the answer - until I get a handle on my eating habits I think I'll stick to shakes for now. I am so inspired by everyone and how supportive this group is.
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 50 club! I joined earlier this year too. We get better as we age, like fine wine. :-)

I've done just about all the fads and diet plans and lifestyle choices there are. Maybe I missed a few but.....
    - Weight Watchers: Worked for me, loved the program, hated paying money to lose weight, quit and rejoined multiple times, gained it all back plus some. My fault.
    - Low Carb: Did great for a month or so then hated the food choices and literally felt sick to my stomach at the thought of one more piece of meat or egg. I'm a picky eater. LOL
    - Fluid Diet: Early 80's. The thing to do was only intake fluid. It didn't matter what the fluid was. But no solids. Wow. Can't believe I even tried it. So unhealthy. Too young and dumb to figure that out I guess.
    - Low Fat: Blah...........
    - Sugar Free just about everything: Blah and after taste is horrible.....
    - Wrapped myself up in cellophane: Yes, I did this. In the 80's when it was the thing to do. I wrustled when I walked.
    - Moon Suit: Yep, did that too. LOL

Calorie Counting: This is where I am now and have been in the past at times and yes, it does work. At least for me. I set my limit for the day based on my doctor's recommendation and I get to it or very close to it every day. I feel full, satisfied, not like I'm suffering or not a part of the group. I plan ahead when possible for treats or a night out for dinner or a party with foods. When I can't, I eat sensibly and watch my portions and then do my best to log it all to see the damage.

I don't beat myself up anymore. By doing this, I've learned to 'live'. I just live better than before. The weight is coming off at a slow, steady and HEALTHY pace at 1-1.5 lbs per week. This week I lost 2 pounds (was extremely active this past week) so that was a bonus. On weeks when it's just ounces I've lost, so what. It's ounces not on my backside anymore. I've learned to not be a slave to my scale. I feel it in my clothes more than the scale shows anyhow.

Everyone is different. I learned that the hard way too. Everyone gives good advice based on what works for them and I take it all in and end up doing what's best for me. There's no magic bullet. Weight loss is work like anything else worthwhile in life. But making it too much work sets me up to fail and that's why just simply counting calories, basic math here and this site, have made me more successful.

I love all of the advice you've been given so far here. Great people with great intentions and giving you their story and experiences. That's another thing about this site that is so fantastic and why I love it so much. We can all learn from each other and fit in what would work best for ourselves. Reading the boards has helped me tremendously as well. I never feel alone in how I'm feeling or doing on my plan.

This is a lifelong commitment for me to get healthy and lose weight. I realize looking back over my life that I've struggled with weight since my late teens with only a few years in my life after that where I was looking great and a healthy weight. Knowing this, I have come to the realization that for the rest of my life I have to watch my weight so I don't 'diet'. I choose to 'live' and make choices that will benefit me but also allow me to actually enjoy food without abusing food if that makes sense.

Good luck to you!!