Hi from the caribbean

Options
Hello!

I started using mfp at the end of june. I decided it was time to make a change and get healthy. I am trying not to focus too much on the eating part but more on the 'moderation and excersise' part :) up untill now the logging of food has helped a lot, beacause I am now starting to realise how much i actually ate!

I am struggling with the excersise part, like a lot of people here i can imagine? I mostly try to use justdance on my wii and have recently started with short kettlebell workouts. So i thought maybe i should look for more support here, because i want to stay focused and gradually get healthy!

Oh one other thing i'm struggling with is getting and sticking with a good eating/workout routine. On one hand i just find it hard to stick to it, on the other hand we get a lot of visitors here (who doesn't want to visit a caribbean island ;) ) and that doesn't help with maintaining a routine either..

Does anybody recognise this and or wants to share some advise?

Replies

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Meal plans and meal prepping help me with staying focused on my eating. For workouts, have you considered running? The Carribean is on my list. Hoping next year the bf and I can take a cruise there. I've never been.
  • 005999Manon
    005999Manon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes running, i do have awesome running shoes! They are in a closet somewhere around here.. I find it very hard to start running because at this point i'm not very fit so i don't get very far.. And i'm worries aboyt my knees and what my weight will do to them if i start running. Aaaand it's very very hot here.. Being in the tropics and all :wink: Haha i know, the more I write the more these al sound like a lot of excuses..

So in short no I have not tried running yet. Any tips on how to start?
  • Samakiyah
    Samakiyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am from the. Caribbean also. Guyana. Im new to dieting and exercising....the workouts are the hardest parts but I do hope I can get with it faster. I wanna be fit and lighter by my birthday next February
  • Samakiyah
    Samakiyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also this might sound weird how do i get my ticker
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Also this might sound weird how do i get my ticker

To post with every post?
  • 005999Manon
    Options
    I think you can change the settings of your ticker in 'my profile'. I am currently living on curacao, one of the more southern caribbean islands! Have you tried playing any team sports samakiyah? That usually helps me to get started!
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I use the Wii as well. Do you have a WiiFit? I have one and I use it for yoga and a few lower level work-outs. It is also what I use to weigh-in and track my weight and BMI.
    I find that running hurts my knees too (it is not supposed to apparently, I guess I'm doing it wrong) so I stick with fast walking, swimming and the cardio machines at the gym like the cross trainer.
  • 005999Manon
    Options
    Yes i have the wiifit! I use it for weekly weigh-ins and i like the yoga excersises a lot! The super hula hoop is also a killer excersise!
    After a while howevere, I do get a bit bored with doing the same so I like to change my routines. At the moment i just do the justdancing and then the kettlebells. Maybe i should star with the yoga again though, because i do like those excersises..

Yess the running, i don't know if i am doing it wrong but there are a lot of bad knees in my family.. Don't want to push my luck :smile:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Great to see some other Caribbean ppl here :)

I'm from Trinidad by the way. I do mostly workout DVDs and YouTube vids at home and have had great success with it. However, you must be disciplined. It's too hot for me to workout outdoors to be honest...the sun drains me so I prefer indoor setting.
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was not a runner either, but I highly recommend starting out with intervals. 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, 1 minute run, etc. It makes it little easier as a beginner and I've read that it is actually more effective. I started out that way and I was able to gradually build up my endurance level without getting discouraged.
  • 005999Manon
    Options
    Yes it is very hard to be running outside at the moment here, it is sooooo hot! Even inside it gets really hard tomkeep up, this weather drains the energy out of you! Yesterday i went windsurfing and that was a lot of fun and a pretty good excersise, my whole body is sore today!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Aloha from Hawaii!!! I have started out with just leisure walking, up to a brisk pace and now I run half and walk half... I'm just patient with my body... it lets me know when I'm ready. Good luck! :smile:
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I bought a stationary bike because I'm on oxygen so I am pretty much housebound (and it's very hot here in the summer). I wish I could go swimming!!

Regarding your ticker, near the bottom of OP are instructions:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1430929-a-guide-to-formatting-your-posts
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't actually live in the Caribbean, but my family is Jamaican and I live in Miami..does that count for something?! hehehe!!

Another set of bad knees here...due to overtraining when I was in the military...its so bad I cannot even do the hula hooping on WiiFit, but I do like the yoga as well and a lot of the other exercises. Lately Ive only been using it for my weigh ins, but I should start doing the activities on there too.

Right now, I mostly walk, and also I do Just Dance..which is a lot of fun..and actually the only exercise Ill do that makes me sweat, down tons of water, make my body completely sore, and yet I still wont stop (only cause Im competitive and determined to beat my daughters scores on there...never do. Shes too good on that thing!!)

But yeah, the weather has been super hot..and if not that, torrential rain. Tis the season!! Hoping for another hurricane free year. But soon it will be cooling off and it will be easier to spend more than half an hour outside without wanting to crawl back inside again.
  • KSherman27
    KSherman27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    13039638.png

Hey, I am from Indian Trail, North Carolina! I would like to meet some friends on here :)
  • dexlyn813
    dexlyn813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Caribbean too. Born in Dominica. I'm always open for new friends.