BMR

Options
Someone posting about BMR on here and I was curious.

I'm 20, 5`2 and weight 125lbs.
My BMR is 1290.

Does that mean I should be eating at least 1290?!

If so why does MFP tell me to eat 1200

If I don't eat 1290...surely my body won't be able to function?! If it needs that many to keep me alive while doing nothing.

Replies

• iheartmemories
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories needed to keep you alive.

MFP tells you to eat 1,200 because you are wanting to lose 2lbs per week.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Surely that would be dangerous to eat 1200 when your BMR is higher :S
  • timidtyger
    Options
    your MFP is just telling you how much you should be eating to lose the amount of weight per week you wish determined by your BMR, or the amount of calories you need when you just want to stay the same.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    That is what your body burns just to run itself everyday. Your BMR is just the energy your body needs to make itself run everyday. I think they are just giving you an estimate. You want to eat less calories than you expend if you are trying to lose weight.
  • fatBgone80
    Options
    yes, your BMR is 1290. MFP only gives you an est. When I found out I just manually changed it.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    BMR is basal metabolic rate = what it takes to keep you breathing, blinking, etc (imagine the amount needed if you're in a coma)

MFP then adds activity level. So maybe up to 1390 or whatever (pulling numbers out of thin air)
    MFP then subtracts enough for your loss per week goal (say 1 lb = 500 cals per day)

This would put you at 890.
    This is an unhealthy cal intake for almost anyone. MFP will not allow your goal that low (in its automatic calculations).

The lowest it will allow is 1200. So it will keep you at a minimum of 1200 if your calculations would put it at anything below that.

Make sense?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157447-mfp-goals-bmr-sounds-unsafe

For me for example;
    MFP goal: 1260 calories w/o exercise
    BMR: 1400 (calories needed for my organs to function properly)
    Daily Burn: 1885 burnt daily just by living (that’s where the deficit comes in for MFP 1885 - 1260 = 625 cal deficit so 1 lb lost every 6 days)

It seemed unsafe that the caloric goal was set lower than my BMR (I'm 138 lbs, 5'8) and I got the answer I wanted and believe to be the most correct.

It was from Tony, a trainer and she's awesome. To sum up, basically the 1200 minimum is 1st year nutrition information but in the later years you learn that you need to eat 80% so I got the answer that I wanted;

DEFICITS ON MFP ARE ALREAYDY TOO LOW, YOU ARE ALREADY STARVING !!

~

Tony's response in my thread;

According to everything I've been taught in Sports Nutrition, you should be eating a minimum of your BMR and no less then 80% of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (which is BMR + activity level + planned exercise) But the problem is that a lot of places use the activity level calories as the BMR, which is incorrect, so if you just get your BMR from a website, you don't know if it is truly accurate. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on activity level minus a calorie estimate to lose your goal. So, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, then it will subtract 500 calories from your BMR + activity level calories per day. It uses that as your goal giving you a deficit so that you can eat all of your exercise calories and still be in a deficit. This is fine for the general public, who unfortunately tend to have a lot to lose, but not so hot for athletes or people who exercise regularly. The body has to have a minimum number of calories in relation to what you are burning in order to continue losing body fat and maintaining muscle mass. If it doesn't have a calorie intake close to what it is burning, then it will go into that starvation mode everyone is always talking about. From basic nutrition classes, we're taught 1200 for women and 1500 for men, which is where MFP gets that minimum intake of 1200. But once we go on to more advanced nutrition classes for athletes and exercisers, we learn the 80% rule. So, if you have a BMR of 1400 with an activity of 1800 and exercise 200, you get a Total Daily Energy Expenditure of 2000 calories. (Activity includes the BMR, so you only add the activity and exercise amounts) 80% of 2000 is 1600, so you shouldn't eat less then 1600 on that day to prevent starvation mode. That number changes however on days when you don't exercise because the TDEE is only 1800. 80% of that is 1440. Notice that both of those are above the BMR. I tell all my clients to never eat below the BMR, specifically because the body needs fuel for the activity we're doing. Even sedentary individuals get an activity addition of 20% (Standard multiplication factor for determining activity calories from BMR), so that if they cut 20% to lose weight they are still eating the BMR. Unfortunately, while I love MFP, it's just too much for computer programmers to put in all the possible combinations of numbers in their programs so they have to set a standard number. Sometimes that standard doesn't work because you are setting goals higher then what your body is really willing to work with. This is why I set up my own numbers on MFP.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Yeh now it does!
    Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157447-mfp-goals-bmr-sounds-unsafe

For me for example;
    MFP goal: 1260 calories w/o exercise
    BMR: 1400 (calories needed for my organs to function properly)
    Daily Burn: 1885 burnt daily just by living (that’s where the deficit comes in for MFP 1885 - 1260 = 625 cal deficit so 1 lb lost every 6 days)

It seemed unsafe that the caloric goal was set lower than my BMR (I'm 138 lbs, 5'8) and I got the answer I wanted and believe to be the most correct.

It was from Tony, a trainer and she's awesome. To sum up, basically the 1200 minimum is 1st year nutrition information but in the later years you learn that you need to eat 80% so I got the answer that I wanted;

DEFICITS ON MFP ARE ALREAYDY TOO LOW, YOU ARE ALREADY STARVING !!

~

According to everything I've been taught in Sports Nutrition, you should be eating a minimum of your BMR and no less then 80% of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (which is BMR + activity level + planned exercise) But the problem is that a lot of places use the activity level calories as the BMR, which is incorrect, so if you just get your BMR from a website, you don't know if it is truly accurate. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on activity level minus a calorie estimate to lose your goal. So, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, then it will subtract 500 calories from your BMR + activity level calories per day. It uses that as your goal giving you a deficit so that you can eat all of your exercise calories and still be in a deficit. This is fine for the general public, who unfortunately tend to have a lot to lose, but not so hot for athletes or people who exercise regularly. The body has to have a minimum number of calories in relation to what you are burning in order to continue losing body fat and maintaining muscle mass. If it doesn't have a calorie intake close to what it is burning, then it will go into that starvation mode everyone is always talking about. From basic nutrition classes, we're taught 1200 for women and 1500 for men, which is where MFP gets that minimum intake of 1200. But once we go on to more advanced nutrition classes for athletes and exercisers, we learn the 80% rule. So, if you have a BMR of 1400 with an activity of 1800 and exercise 200, you get a Total Daily Energy Expenditure of 2000 calories. (Activity includes the BMR, so you only add the activity and exercise amounts) 80% of 2000 is 1600, so you shouldn't eat less then 1600 on that day to prevent starvation mode. That number changes however on days when you don't exercise because the TDEE is only 1800. 80% of that is 1440. Notice that both of those are above the BMR. I tell all my clients to never eat below the BMR, specifically because the body needs fuel for the activity we're doing. Even sedentary individuals get an activity addition of 20% (Standard multiplication factor for determining activity calories from BMR), so that if they cut 20% to lose weight they are still eating the BMR. Unfortunately, while I love MFP, it's just too much for computer programmers to put in all the possible combinations of numbers in their programs so they have to set a standard number. Sometimes that standard doesn't work because you are setting goals higher then what your body is really willing to work with. This is why I set up my own numbers on MFP.

FYI, her name's Tonya, the name is cut off for length. :tongue:
  • antipholous
    Options
    BMR is your basic metabolic rate. It's the amount of calories your body consumes naturally to keep your body functioning. If you do not eat your daily BMR, your body has to pull from its energy storage (fat) in order to to meet its standards for the day.

If you eat under your BMR (as I do every day), you lose what you don't eat in fat. Exercise adds to this deficit.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Excellent post. Couple the information from Tonya with this from Trainer Robin:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

and you will have a good idea where you need to be.

Like Tonya I have manually set up my own numbers on MFP. It is an excellent tool in many respects but it is a blunt instrument when it comes to setting up an individual's maintenance / calorie deficit level.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    BMR is your basic metabolic rate. It's the amount of calories your body consumes naturally to keep your body functioning. If you do not eat your daily BMR, your body has to pull from its energy storage (fat) in order to to meet its standards for the day.

If you eat under your BMR (as I do every day), you lose what you don't eat in fat. Exercise adds to this deficit.

If only this were the case. Unfortunately, you don't just lose fat. Eat below your BMR and your body also burns lean tissue. Eat below long enough and your body recognizes this as a state of starvation and begins slowing down the metabolic rate to compensate, and store extra fat.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Actually, you lose a combination of muscle and fat. And the muscle loss will cause the metabolism to slow down so that you actually have a lower BMR after the loss. Then if you ever go back to eating more, you will gain back what you lost and then some, all in body fat.

The above quotes are from me, BTW. My screen name is TrainingWithTonya, but the a is cut off on the side of message board posts because it is too long. I also don't use the BMR calculations from MFP. I prefer the lab estimates I get at school, but if that isn't available, I use a formula that bases it on the actual lean body mass and not total body weight like MFP and most websites. The reason for this is because fat is mostly metabolically inactive so you can often get an inaccurately high BMR with those calculations. If you know your body fat %, I can break it all down for you with my formulas. Just send me a PM, but know that I'm super swamped during the week and may not respond until the weekend.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

Actually, you lose a combination of muscle and fat. And the muscle loss will cause the metabolism to slow down so that you actually have a lower BMR after the loss. Then if you ever go back to eating more, you will gain back what you lost and then some, all in body fat.

I'm curious. Does this depend on how much weight a person has left to lose or would this also happen to someone who's "obese".

I ask this because when I was on Weight Watchers and paying more attention to points than calories. I hit a plateau and when I did research into how to get out of it, I ended up going back to my WW journals and calculating the calories. I ended up consistently netting between 700 and 1000 calories every day. And I was over 200 lbs at the time.
  • antipholous
    Options
    Well, you can claim that you lose fat and muscle, but since I've been eating under my BMR I lost 90 pounds and have very clearly gained muscle.

Also, when I gain my muscle, my BMR isn't dropping. It's raising because it takes more calories to keep muscle alive than fat. Lean muscle (that stuff I've been gaining while eating under my BMR for about 8 months straight) is increasing my metabolism, not decreasing it.

I'd love to hear your examples of how to lose weight if you eat your BMR. Giving your body all the food it needs for the day makes it ignore its storage facilities.

I understand that your body can eat at muscle, too. That's why you don't over train, and you don't eat too little food. If I was eating 500 calories a day and running a half marathon everyday, then we might have something to talk about. However, I'm eating 1,500 calories a day and just working out 1-2 hours, 5-6 days a week.

You can say this won't work, but I've lost 90 pounds and gained muscle.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well, you can claim that you lose fat and muscle, but since I've been eating under my BMR I lost 90 pounds and have very clearly gained muscle.

Also, when I gain my muscle, my BMR isn't dropping. It's raising because it takes more calories to keep muscle alive than fat. Lean muscle (that stuff I've been gaining while eating under my BMR for about 8 months straight) is increasing my metabolism, not decreasing it.

I'd love to hear your examples of how to lose weight if you eat your BMR. Giving your body all the food it needs for the day makes it ignore its storage facilities.

I understand that your body can eat at muscle, too. That's why you don't over train, and you don't eat too little food. If I was eating 500 calories a day and running a half marathon everyday, then we might have something to talk about. However, I'm eating 1,500 calories a day and just working out 1-2 hours, 5-6 days a week.

You can say this won't work, but I've lost 90 pounds and gained muscle.

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying anything here in a derogatory or insensitive tone.

With that said, I strongly feel that you need to read up on human catabolism and anabolism.

couple of quick facts (note, these aren't opinions, these are documented, scientifically repeatable facts that have been confirmed by the major exercise related authorities.)

1) BMR is NOT your maintenance calories. BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate, it's the amount of calories your body needs to simply keep basic functions running. Your body, on a daily basis uses about 25% to 40% ABOVE your BMR in TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expendature), that doesn't include additional calories used by exercise. I.E. if you were to lay in a coma, you would burn your BMR, conscious brain activity, movement, breathing, eating, and anything that uses skeletal muscles are not included in BMR.
    This is how you can eat BMR (or significantly higher) and still lose weight.

2)It is literally impossible to increase muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. The body just won't do it. What you can do is keep existing muscle from degenerating, and activate dormant muscle fibers. So while you can gain strength while in catabolism, you can't gain muscle mass while you eat below your maintenance calories. Again, this is all well documented, it's not theory or opinion. There are two states the body can be in, catabolic and anabolic (respectively, less energy, or more energy than needed in the body to keep homeostasis). Technically its possible to be in perfect balance with regards to energy in vs. energy out, but in reality, that's almost never the case. Because of the hormones activated during one state or the other, the body will allow muscles to either build or to decline, there's no middle ground, as there's almost never a time when those hormones are in perfect balance of each other (mainly that would be Growth Hormone and testosterone vs cortisol

3) I'm not claiming that you lose muscle mass when you lose fat, I'm stating fact. In a perfect system, fat would be the only thing ever lost when we are over fat, but while someone who is morbidly obese can lose a higher percentage of fat vs lean tissue (upwards of 90% fat and 10% lean tissue) there is ALWAYS going to be a percentage of lean tissue lost, the goal of exercise during weight loss is two fold, firstly to increase your total calories burned for the day, thus allowing for greater weight loss, and second, to work muscles, while the body won't grow muscle mass in a catabolic state, it WILL repair existing muscle, muscle in a state of active use or repair will not be canabalized by the body for weight loss.

Again, I'm not saying any of this to make you feel bad, these are just plain facts in exercise physiology.

I think it's fantastic that you've lost 90 lbs. And I hope you continue to succeed with your goals. I am only writing this to make sure, as you approach your goal, that you understand the what and why of how it will happen. Also to make sure that others on MFP don't read this post and get the wrong idea.

If you are further interested in the metabolic pathways that lead to catabolism and anabolism, I can provide further reading for you. There's lots of good research and factual information out there on it.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.