Building diet plans.. where to start?!?

Options
Edit: Sorry, topic was supposed to be "Building meal plans.. where to start?!?"

Hello again,

I've kinda fallen off the band wagon since my last post a month or two ago.. Sadly..

I've been reading Leigh Peele's Fat Loss Troubleshoot (I'd highly recommend it) and I'm wanting to get back on the band wagon again. So, my plan is to try to come up with about 3 different day-long meal plans to give myself more structure and something to lean on.

The problem is.. it is so overwhelming.. all the different foods and ways you can cook it.. and pairing food correctly.. all of it. It just seems pretty hard for me to even get started with it.

So, does anyone have any pointers or advice to help me build my meal plans? I've looked online for sample plans and there are soooo many out there from magazine articles to WebMD posts to forums.. etc.. but I guess what I'm looking for is more along the lines of some kind of step-by-step process to building a meal plan.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lots of books (South Beach Diet -- just to choose one) explain what to eat at each meal on day one, day two, day three. Any of these books include recipes.

Here is a 7 day meal plan. Add more fat and protein if you think it needs more calories.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Eating Well also has some meal plans for different calorie levels and dietary restrictions. You can also just look at your own logs for the last few weeks and tweak those.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat?
  • jennm426
    Options
    I know this can be a hard thing to do! But you can do it! I have started my nutritional plan and lost 11.5lbs since 9/23/2014 and lost 10 inches. Have a great day and be encouraged.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.com. Find out your TDEE. Eat anything you want so long as it fits within your macros and calories.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pre-made meal plans are always hit-and-miss since different people like different things, have different budgets etc.

Here is what you can do:
    Figure out your daily calories. Either go the TDEE route (so every day is the same number), or the 'eating back exercise calories' that is MFP standard. Choose your macro ratios according to whichever plan you decide to follow.
    Now that you have a number to work towards, decide how many meals you want to have, or are used to having. Give them names in the MFP diary that make sense to you.

Now go play: fill in the diary with food you think you would like to have. See where you stand calorie-wise. Are you under your goal? Increase portions. Are you over your goal? See what you can remove and miss the least. How are your macro ratios?
    Fill in a couple of days and that's your meal plan.

The thing is to start with foods that you like and are familiar with, so it is easier to adjust to portion sizes.

And just go one day at a time, it will all fall into place with practice.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Toss a 3lbs protein (beef, pork, or chicken) into a crockpot witha bunch of whatever veggies you enjoy, 2 cups of water or stock. When it's done, divide it into 10 Tupperware containers. Grab one for lunch, add a baked potato or side salad and you've got dinner. Freeze half or eat them all in a week.

There's no grad and fast rules for what you must eat, so eat what you enjoy. Experiment with spices and meat/veggie combinations.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    purchase couple pounds of meat and several veggies
    cook meat
    cook veggies

eat meal.
    put left overs in separate containers for the week.

eat delicious food the rest of the week.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pre-made meal plans are always hit-and-miss since different people like different things, have different budgets etc.

Here is what you can do:
    Figure out your daily calories. Either go the TDEE route (so every day is the same number), or the 'eating back exercise calories' that is MFP standard. Choose your macro ratios according to whichever plan you decide to follow.
    Now that you have a number to work towards, decide how many meals you want to have, or are used to having. Give them names in the MFP diary that make sense to you.

Now go play: fill in the diary with food you think you would like to have. See where you stand calorie-wise. Are you under your goal? Increase portions. Are you over your goal? See what you can remove and miss the least. How are your macro ratios?
    Fill in a couple of days and that's your meal plan.

The thing is to start with foods that you like and are familiar with, so it is easier to adjust to portion sizes.

And just go one day at a time, it will all fall into place with practice.

**THIS**
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What do you normally eat?

I agree with the person who said to go and tinker with the food log. Put in what you would normally eat and see how many calories it is. See how you can adjust the amounts to meet your calorie goal. See what other things you might substitute to meet your calorie goal. (choose things you like to eat to substitute).

Google "1500 calorie meal plan" or whatever your calorie goal is. You can get some ideas there, but you might not really eat all of the things on those plans.

As you go along, you will adjust and find what works best for you. Some people must have snacks in between meals to stay satisfied, I typically don't eat between meals. You will find ways to increase proteins or fat to stay full longer.

It is a process. If you try to just pick some plan and follow it, you are likely to not stay with it for long.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you make this too difficult, I think you will sabotage yourself and fail. I agree with most of the advice you have received -- simple sound advice. Meat, veggies, and a "little" planning. Let's face it, success on MFP ultimately comes from eating less, logging your intake, and exercising more!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i agree - keep it simple. what foods do you like to eat? i just happen to like to eat the same breakfast, lunch and snacks every day of the week however my suppers are always different; this just works for me. on the weekends i change things up a bit.

my diary is open if you'd like to take a look. i make sure to do my best to meet my protein and fat macros, carbs are whatever i left over. you'll see that i usually have chocolate and ice cream every day :o)