Hida Scan No Gallbladder found

Options
I just had my Hida scan yesterday and was told my gallbladder couldn't be found. so now waiting on the doctors to call me and tell me what comes next. Any advice on foods I should eat to start prepping, I know they will probably say surgery and I want to be able to take minimal time out of work.

How long eta should I be out of work?

Im nervous. I know its a common surgery, but you never know

Replies

• meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    if the scan said you had no gallbladder... are they doing surgery to put it back?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I just had my Hida scan yesterday and was told my gallbladder couldn't be found. so now waiting on the doctors to call me and tell me what comes next. Any advice on foods I should eat to start prepping, I know they will probably say surgery and I want to be able to take minimal time out of work.

Um what?! I'm legit confused on what you're prepping for.

Don't change anything until there's something to change.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    if the scan said you had no gallbladder... are they doing surgery to put it back?
    Uh, ya. Perhaps they meant diminished function?...
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    What?

I mean, I've lost my keys, or my phone... but a gallbladder? How do you misplace that?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the doctors will get this figured out. On the bright side it could be worse than a missing gallbladder.

tumblr_n24mkbZkFW1t8c3zzo1_500.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Or surgery to find it?

OP, not trying to be a smartie, but maybe you don't remember having it taken out as a kid?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'll assume they want to remove your gallbladder because it's no functioning properly. I had my removed years ago and I could have gone back to work a few days later. The only thing that hurt was my chest from the gas they used during surgery. I started to walk around the hospital about an hour after I got back from recovery to move the gas along and get rid of it, once it was gone I was ready to leave. My doctor wrote me out of work for 2 weeks, but I honestly didn't need it, so I spend 2 weeks laying on the beach LOL

The big things I cut down on were fats and caffeine, he also told me to eat smaller meals (6 meals a days) instead of 3 bigger ones. It's been about 18 years and I haven't had any trouble at all.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If anything special needs to be done, diet, etc.
    You Doctor will tell you...if not ask him.
    tumblr_m13nxaNo7R1qhx3ir.gif
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My brother has 6 wisdom teeth and 4 extra arteries. It was determined that he was supposed to be a twin. :laugh: Maybe your unborn twin ate your gallbladder in the womb.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Gallstones right?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people being born without a gallbladder, but now I'm genuinely curious as to why you would need surgery. If you have a gall bladder and it isn't working right, then there is often surgery to remove it. But I've never heard of someone receiving a transplanted gall bladder.

Perhaps the OP can clarify, but I'm thinking this is a question for your doctor who already knows what is going on and should know how to treat it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    So if your gallbladder couldn't be found that means it's blocked right? So they'll be removing it?

If you aren't having any complications or digestive issues now, there's nothing to prepare for until the day before surgery. You'll have to fast a certain number of hours before the surgery, I'm sure. Until then, if you aren't having any problems with the way you're currently eating then don't worry about it. Many people have issues with fats when they have gallbladder issues so eating a very low fat diet helps them.

I had my gallbladder out in late 2010 because I had one very large stone that was visible with the naked eye in an X-ray. Since it was never coming out on its own, and my grandmother had had her gallbladder burst on her for the same reason, my gastroenterologist decided the gallbladder needed to come out. Until that gallstone was found, while looking for something else entirely, I had no indications that I had a problem with it. No food issues, no pain. I didn't change anything before the surgery, and after the surgery things didn't change much, either. I can still eat fatty or fried foods without any problems but then, I don't usually eat a lot of them at one sitting anyway.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I was having pain from my gallbladder it was determined that it was not functioning correctly - ejection fraction near single digits. My doctor advised me to go on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). Since it took over two months to properly diagnose and schedule surgery to remove I found that as long as I stayed below 10% fat it didn't act up. Getting my gallbladder out really helped me.

That being said however, my husband had similar issues but getting his out was one of the worst things he has ever done. We had different surgeons due to mine retiring. He suffers from post-gallbladder syndrome and his digestion is nothing like it used to be. He suffers from severe IBS-D with bad stomach cramps. He has often said he would rather have the mild pain and nausea back. One Gastroenterologist he has seen said that doctors are finding out that a percentage of people are better off dealing with symptoms vs. having it removed. Not trying to scare you but want you to have different perspectives.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Assuming they couldn't find your gallbladder because it's covered up with a lot of scar tissue which is common with gallbladder issues?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Assuming they couldn't find your gallbladder because it's covered up with a lot of scar tissue which is common with gallbladder issues?

The Hida scan uses tracers that travel with bile, and imaging similar to an MRI. I would think that the tracers can be seen through scar tissue, and so if the liver cannot release bile into the gall bladder, then they wouldn't see it because the tracers are not there (in the gall bladder). If that is the case (the liver cannot release bile into the gall bladder), then that is a whole different problem.

Ultimately, I think we are all still unclear regarding the OP's situation and question. Also, it is something she really needs to talk with her doctor to understand.

My experience: Several years ago, I started having gall bladder flare-ups that were extremely painful and would last hours. These would happen once every month or 2. They did an ultra-sound and found no gall-stones, but a lot of sludge. I tried a gallbladder purge diet that I found - basically fasted for several hours to start on an empty stomach. Then drank straight lemon juice (acid to break down sludge further) and extra virgin olive oil (lubricant to ease passage) alternating every 15 min. I can't remember the quantities, but I didn't make it for much more than an hour because olive oil just tastes awful. This is something I found online and it was supposed to last 4 hours, but even after not much more than an hour, it worked enough to stop further problems. I haven't had a flare-up in 4 years.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Usually this means acute inflammation of the gall bladder, sometimes requiring surgery. That's why the OP is asking about prepping.

OP, you should be asking your doctors these questions, not an internet forum.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ok sorry to not be so clear on my OP

Had the HIDA scan done, after an hour no trace, after two hours no trace, after three hours no trace of the injected radio active dye. Hence they couldnt find my gallbladder (her words not mine). I have an appointment with a surgeon on Friday to discuss surgery.

I trust my doctor and this surgeon he had removed a tumor off my back last year when no one else would touch it as it never came up on scans.

My question was to find what others have typically done prior to surgery to prep if they have had this surgery done to remove the gallbladder.

Im currently on watch as Im in danger of it bursting and if I have any issues I have to immediatly go to the ER. This is why I asked if there was anything reccomended to others Pre surgery, just in case I want to be prepared. Food wise.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, not a bunch of strangers on the web who have no idea what a hida scan is or what the results mean. Coming to a place like this for support is fine, but not advice. You want advice you can actually trust.