Black Beans

Options
Hey all!
I love black beans, but I have just been putting them in taco salad lately, and I'm sure there's more I can do with them? I buy the bush's reduced sodium black beans and then rinse em. Any other ways to have them other than on top of a salad?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like to add brown rice and black beans together, and then add a little bit of salsa and ranch, a few crushed tortilla chips and it's an awesome crunchy/filling meal! With the salsa and ranch, I put it in the blender, so it's more like a dressing. Add lime juice for additional tangy flavor!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Black-Bean-Burritos/Detail.aspx - if you use low/fat free cream cheese it'll be less calories. It's a nice meatless dish and really really good!

Also, I like to eat mine with a little bit of rice, fresh tomatos, & onions on top :)
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    AWESUME DIP....CAN OF ROTEL,CORN(DRAINED)BLACKBEANS(DRAINE)CHOPPED ONION,CHOPPED BELLPEPPER.BOTTLE OF ZETSY FAT FREE ITALIAN DRESSING. MARINADE OVERNITE.
    THAT IT. SERVE W/ BAKED TORTILLAS OR ADD TO BEAN BURRIOTS OR WATEVER U LIKE
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Black-Bean-Burritos/Detail.aspx - if you use low/fat free cream cheese it'll be less calories. It's a nice meatless dish and really really good!

Also, I like to eat mine with a little bit of rice, fresh tomatos, & onions on top :)

I LOVE that one!!! We eat it at least once a week
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 'em straight out of the can.

I put a couple tablespoons in my veggie omelette.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Have them with eggs, for breakfast.
    Or make grilled chicken, black beans, and brown rice, yum.
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a whole wheat tortilla shell, add some feta cheese and enjoy :-)
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I serve them as a sidedish/carb to accompany poultry - I add a healthy dash of tabasco, and then salsa.

They're also great in a breakfast burrito - scramble Egg Beaters, add black beans, and some taco sauce, and wrap up in a whole wheat tortilla. YUMM!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Black Bean soup!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I love black beans, but I have just been putting them in taco salad lately, and I'm sure there's more I can do with them? I buy the bush's reduced sodium black beans and then rinse em. Any other ways to have them other than on top of a salad?
    Thanks in advance!

Love them as a hot side with my pan seared fish (Talapia, salmon, flounder) with some steamed/grilled asparagus.

Also Crock pot skinless chicken breasts with salsa and black beans.

15 bean soup with ham and black beans.

Black bean hummus: http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/black-bean-hummus-85364

Black Bean mashed potatos (kind of heavy) : http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=520

Hit up the internet, you'll be surprized what you'll find.

ZH
  • JABehler
    JABehler Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love black beans. I also like mexican food. I make my own refried beans using black beans instead of pinto. Saute chopped onions until clear in a little olive oil. While sauting drain beans reserving the liquid and rinse. When onions reach tranparency stage mix in minced garlic and any other seasonings (ie chile powder, salt, pepper, etc). Add approx. 2/3 of the beans to onion mixture and mash with potato masher. Add more beans and mash leaving just a few whole beans as perferred. Use the reserved bean liquid as needed to keep a moist texture. I use refried beans in burritos and in the bottom layer of taco salads. Hope this helps.
  • leweverling
    Options
    Love them as soup, and recently did a a black bean stew.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I eat them as a side with my chicken. I add a slice of 2% Kraft American Cheese & 4 tablespoons of Arriba salsa to the top of a grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast. It is YUM! Had it for dinner last night. Black beans make a great side. Also, try them in a burrito. They are good!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Here are some ways I eat 'em:

Mixed with a can of kidney beans, diced tomatoes, 1/2 onion, 1tbsp of cumin and 1/2 tbsp of chilli powder as chilli.

Mixed with Canned salsa and stuffed in a pita with cabbage as a take on fish tacos

Plain with a side of greens and a sweet potato

On top of refried beans and under lettuce and salsa as a dip
  • reikichris
    Options
    I mix black beans, chick peas, red kidney beans with chopped sweet onions, chopped green bell peppers and chopped zucchini. I add a tbsp of red wine vinegar and a tbspn of lemon juice and season to taste.

Servered over a bed of lettuce and topped with shredded parmesan. To add a little something extra, especially when I have this for dinner, I add Zesty Lemon Pepper Tuna.

This makes about 8 servings under 200 calories each (including the tuna).
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    In a soup: with vegetable broth, red peppers, red onions, cilantro, cumin, and one chipotle en adobo cut in little pieces. Sautee the veggies in a little bit of olive oil, add the spices, finally the broth. Not sure of the quantities but the soup should be a bit thick. Many recipes are available on cooking light or epicurious.com
    In salad: mix with corn, chopped tomato, avocado, 1 chopped jalapeno. Add chppped grilled pepper if you have time to grill it. Season with cumin, cilantro and lime juice. No need for oil, the avocado give it a creamy taste.
    Advice: if you use canned beans, rinse them before use, it eliminates some of the sodium.
  • reikichris
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
  • bgagn085
    bgagn085 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try the Black Bean and Corn Salsa recipe, its AMAZING!

http://www.annelindsay.com/Seasonalfood.html
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    In a soup: with vegetable broth, red peppers, red onions, cilantro, cumin, and one chipotle en adobo cut in little pieces. Sautee the veggies in a little bit of olive oil, add the spices, finally the broth. Not sure of the quantities but the soup should be a bit thick. Many recipes are available on cooking light or epicurious.com
    In salad: mix with corn, chopped tomato, avocado, 1 chopped jalapeno. Add chppped grilled pepper if you have time to grill it. Season with cumin, cilantro and lime juice. No need for oil, the avocado give it a creamy taste.
    Advice: if you use canned beans, rinse them before use, it eliminates some of the sodium.

I forgot this: add chopped red onion to the salad.

BTW I just made the black bean soup for tonight's dinner and my kitchen smells diviiiiine!