Self Doubt

Options
So little bit of a weird feeling...I weighed myself today and have lost weight. Nice right?

Well, then that bit of doubt crept into my mind. Is my scale broken? Is the ground level? Yeah my scale must be broken.

Even though I was weighing in at the same time of day, wearing the same thing and in the exact same spot. I know because I have it marked out on the floor. I even went as far as putting my 2 8 pound weights on there to make sure...and it showed up as 16.2 pounds.

So I guess I have lost weight!!! Grand total of 61.8 pounds so far....but that DOUBT is still there...

Does anyone else get that? That idea that something has to be wrong with the scale when you start to lose weight?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I commented on your post in my newsfeed, but it exists aside from the scale. I'm still losing again after baby #2, but when I got down to a size 4 (which I still somehow can't wrap my head around) after baby #1, I would be folding laundry and would hold up my jeans (which I think were actually size 2 in Old Navy) and think, these don't look any smaller than my old size 16 or size 14 jeans. Honestly I didn't think I looked that much smaller, but when I see pictures of myself in certain things, I think WOW, I was pretty small!

The only big difference I felt besides confidence in my clothes was the confidence to be in a lot of pictures.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Still lovin' the Skarsgard, btw :wink:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    YES! Our scale of 6 years broke about 7 weeks ago. The replacement was defective. We are now on scale number 3 within 2 months. Every time I weigh in my head cycles through the same thoughts, "Is this scale broken too? Does this scale give an accurate weight? Did the original scale give an accurate weight? Am I actually making progress? How much progress?"

Welcome to my brain. Once we've had this scale for a few weeks I'll feel comfortable again. Maybe. Even if the scale isn't 100% accurate at least it will be a consistent measurement to check progress.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    62lbs is an amazing loss! Congratulations!

I'm just starting my weight loss and I definitely feel a pinch of doubt when the scale shows a minus number. Like it's just a fluke and maybe I was retaining water or did an extra big poop yesterday or something lol. But I'm still taking each minus as a victory, even though I feel like I've only lost 8lbs of poop and water.

IDK if it'll go away without some serious willpower and stern talkings to myself! So keep telling yourself, you're eating at a deficit and blasting away fat cells all the time :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I've gone down below the weight/size I was at 16 (I don't remember any weight before that). It's a bit of a mind trip. I tend to step on my scale repeatedly if it says I've had a loss. But then I went to the doctor and I was 2 lbs more (due to clothing) so it's definitely accurate. I go shopping and everything I try on doesn't fit because I keep picking sizes too big like, "I can't possibly be this size..."
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I think some might have to do with that fact that you can't believe you've lost so much weight, maybe you don't feel the changes or you don't see much difference in the mirror.

Only a guess. Congrats on the weight loss =)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes! I mean yes it's clear that I lost weight, but I have a hard time believing I'm really only 132 pounds.