Running Question (Warning: May be silly!)

Options
Hello all. I am having some dilemma here and hopefully there is a very obvious answer that I am too blind to see that you all can help to point it out.

So the area I live in has got a lot of traffic lights and I find that this kind of take the 'oomph' out of running. Not impossible but just unsatisfactory. I would love to run at the park instead but the nearest one is about 45 minutes away and on the way there, more traffic lights. If I want to run all my miles at the park, I'd have to walk to there (45 mins by walking as mentioned) and I fear that my 'pre-running/ running high' would be gone.

If on the other hand, I take the train there, it takes like 15 minutes but it feels kind of strange/weird taking a train to go and run.

Any suggestions? I understand that I may get some 'who cares if it's strange' answer but I do hope that some of you have some practical answer that has not crossed my mind.

Thanks!

Replies

• SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning when there's no traffic so lights aren't an issue. If you can't do that, I'd take the train.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I find the light frustrating and run in place like a dork when I have to. I run between 4:30 AM and 6:00 AM to avoid the traffic and want to get my run in before I can find an excuse not to. Sometimes you can find a less traveled area that the main traffic pattern and lights are in your favor.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I'm with the Owl. If your more comfortable at the park take the train and run there. If you feel like it walk home!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We drive 45 minutes to go hiking, and we've driven to a nearby park to run laps when we didn't have a gym membership. So I don't think it's strange at all! I bet plenty of people go to that park to exercise, you may even see people on the train doing the exact same thing.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I too have that problem, because I do run-walk intervals and hate when I get stopped at a light during my run interval! I have driven to many parks/trails to run un-interrupted. I've also worked out several routes that don't require me to wait for a ton of crosswalks etc - but there are only like 2 of them, and I still have to wait, just not as much! =D
    Short answer, not silly at all to take the train to the park! =D
  • Thank you for the replies.

I guess I am going to take the train there. But am definitely walking home as the only reason I don't want to walk there is to avoid losing my pre-running high.
  • aunienue
    Options
    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make it work for you...