TDEE

Options
Can someone shed some light on this for me. A good solid explanation as I seem to read alot of choppy info and see a lot of acronyms. I found a site that provide Basic Metabolic Rate and TDEE numbers - 1460/2570 but how do I apply this to my current logging and eating plan?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    BMR is theoretically what your body would burn in a coma state. Basically how many calories the body needs to simply carry out vital functions. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is just what it sounds like, it's all the calories your body uses in a day. It includes your BMR, your purposeful exercise, your non purposeful exercise (walking around the house, cleaning, cooking, brushing teeth, etc), and even the calories it requires to break down food (thermic effect of food). To lose weight you figure out your TDEE and subtract some calories from it. Eating 500 calories below your TDEE each day on paper nets about 1 lb of fat loss a week. Since all these numbers are simply estimates and are not fixed, you're actual results will always very. Simply pick any reasonable number for your starting calories, eat them consistently for a few weeks, and if you don't lose weight, simply reduce the number. Also if using this method DO NOT eat back exercise calories. They are already counted in your total daily energy expenditure.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is the number of calories you could eat to maintain your current weight.

Your BMR is approximately what you'd burn laying around all day in a coma.

The general advice is to eat somewhere between the two numbers to lose weight. Generally something like 20% less than your TDEE. For you that would be 2056 calories daily.

With this method you do not eat back any additional workout calories since they should be included in your TDEE calculations.

Keep in mind that online calculators are just an estimate, a good starting point, but you may need to play around a little to find your sweet spot for weight loss.
  • sfkn123
    sfkn123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a question about this.

I've been doing something like 1200-1500 with a BMR of 1800. Since I'm below the BMR, doesn't that mean I'm doing damage to my body? I don't notice a huge difference in terms of health, and I'm definitely not getting tired all the time. Now I'm wondering if I'm logging properly..
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BMR is theoretically what your body would burn in a coma state. Basically how many calories the body needs to simply carry out vital functions. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is just what it sounds like, it's all the calories your body uses in a day. It includes your BMR, your purposeful exercise, your non purposeful exercise (walking around the house, cleaning, cooking, brushing teeth, etc), and even the calories it requires to break down food (thermic effect of food). To lose weight you figure out your TDEE and subtract some calories from it. Eating 500 calories below your TDEE each day on paper nets about 1 lb of fat loss a week. Since all these numbers are simply estimates and are not fixed, you're actual results will always very. Simply pick any reasonable number for your starting calories, eat them consistently for a few weeks, and if you don't lose weight, simply reduce the number. Also if using this method DO NOT eat back exercise calories. They are already counted in your total daily energy expenditure.

Wow, this makes it clear as mud. So if I substract the 500 from my TDEE I am left with 2070. So if I eat this daily along with regular exercise I will lose weight?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I've been doing something like 1200-1500 with a BMR of 1800. Since I'm below the BMR, doesn't that mean I'm doing damage to my body? I don't notice a huge difference in terms of health, and I'm definitely not getting tired all the time. Now I'm wondering if I'm logging properly..

Unless you are very obese, you should eat more. You are a male, and you need more calories than females do.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Wow, this makes it clear as mud. So if I substract the 500 from my TDEE I am left with 2070. So if I eat this daily along with regular exercise I will lose weight?

Yes.
  • vismal
    Options

Eating below your BMR does not automatically mean you are doing damage to your body. Also, a BMR of 1800 is pretty high for a female. What is your height and weight, how did you come to that number. I'm 6'1 205 and my bmr is only about 1950. A female MY height and weight would have a bmr less then 1800. Are you bigger then 6'1 205? Are you the man or women in your profile picture... I was assuming the women. That could change things...lol
  • deksgrl
    Options

Eating below your BMR does not automatically mean you are doing damage to your body. Also, a BMR of 1800 is pretty high for a female. What is your height and weight, how did you come to that number. I'm 6'1 205 and my bmr is only about 1950. A female MY height and weight would have a bmr less then 1800. Are you bigger then 6'1 205?

He is a guy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Eating below your BMR does not automatically mean you are doing damage to your body. Also, a BMR of 1800 is pretty high for a female. What is your height and weight, how did you come to that number. I'm 6'1 205 and my bmr is only about 1950. A female MY height and weight would have a bmr less then 1800. Are you bigger then 6'1 205?

He's a guy.

OP - 1200 is scary low for men, unless you are medically supervised. This makes it hard to get enough nutrition.

For me, I don't eat less than my BMR because I want fat loss. I'm over 50 and don't want to lose any more lean mass.
  • vismal
    Options

He is a guy.
    I see. In that case his bmr is probably correct. Again, eating below does not automatically cause damage. If I was him I would ensure my logging and tracking was accurate before increasing calories. If he isn't weighing his food on a scale and if he eats out or does a lot of estimation, he may very well be eating quite a bit more then he thinks. Most men would be very hungry eating 1200-1500 calories every single day.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    And you're sure your TDEE is correct?

Also, a thank you to the people that took the time to help you would be nice.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

That's funny - I find it to be quite succinct..............btw - that is the method I'm using - 53 yo male and I eat on average 2350 a day.
  • ZombieMom79
    Options
    So if I am basing my calories on my TDEE should I take into consideration the calories I burn exercising? I walk 10,000 steps a day, run 3-4 days a week for 30 mins minimum and lift weights for 45 minutes 3 times a week. I use a fit bit that I currently have tied into MFP. I know that the calories burned are not 100% accurate. I am trying to change things up to keep up the body change. I am working towards losing more inches and getting in shape for a photo shoot in 7 weeks.

Vismal - thank you thank you for clearing that up, great explanation!
  • ZombieMom79
    Options
    And you're sure your TDEE is correct?

Also, a thank you to the people that took the time to help you would be nice.

I work it out on a few different online calculators. Is there one that you would suggest? It would be much appreciated.

And I wasn't done with my information gathering, I am very grateful all helpful people of MFP, that is what has gotten me this far.
  • deksgrl
    Options

He is a guy.
    I see. In that case his bmr is probably correct. Again, eating below does not automatically cause damage. If I was him I would ensure my logging and tracking was accurate before increasing calories. If he isn't weighing his food on a scale and if he eats out or does a lot of estimation, he may very well be eating quite a bit more then he thinks. Most men would be very hungry eating 1200-1500 calories every single day.

True, I would think he'd be very hungry. However, I do know a man who ate 1500 a day, and he lost tons of muscle mass. I wouldn't recommend it, if that is really what is going on.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So if I am basing my calories on my TDEE should I take into consideration the calories I burn exercising? I walk 10,000 steps a day, run 3-4 days a week for 30 mins minimum and lift weights for 45 minutes 3 times a week. I use a fit bit that I currently have tied into MFP. I know that the calories burned are not 100% accurate. I am trying to change things up to keep up the body change. I am working towards losing more inches and getting in shape for a photo shoot in 7 weeks.

TDEE includes exercise and everything. Assuming that you choose the correct activity level. And it averages it out over the week. You would eat the same amount every day even if you exercise more one day and less another.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

When you calculate your TDEE and it asks you for your activity level, this should include your day-to-day activity as well as your exercise. If you prefer to ignore your exercise and select sedentary, then you're actually calculating your NEAT and you'd need to account for the calories you burn through exercise somewhere (usually by eating them back as MFP has you do).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When you figure out your TDEE you should include the details about your weekly exercise and activity and the number is your maintenance number already including all of that. So you do not adjust for exercise and activity. You will adjust based on actual results.

I use a Fitbit and recently switched to the TDEE method, so I disconnected my Fitbit and am logging exercise as 1 calorie (just because I like a record of what I did). I have found historically that the "total burn" calculated by my Fitbit for the past 30 days lines up very well with what I actually lose (that is, if I eat 500 less than that on average I average -1 lb/week), so for me looking at that was additional confirmation of my initial estimated TDEE. You can also do the math based on your actual results if you have been logging for a while.
  • ZombieMom79
    Options

TDEE includes exercise and everything. Assuming that you choose the correct activity level. And it averages it out over the week. You would eat the same amount every day even if you exercise more one day and less another.

So that is why the online calculators ask acitivity level.

Makes sense now.
  • ZombieMom79
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all the information! So helpful.

I think I will give the TDEE method a try and disconnect my fit bit from MFP for a while. I will start tomorrow and see if it shakes things up.