TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So if I am basing my calories on my TDEE should I take into consideration the calories I burn exercising? I walk 10,000 steps a day, run 3-4 days a week for 30 mins minimum and lift weights for 45 minutes 3 times a week. I use a fit bit that I currently have tied into MFP. I know that the calories burned are not 100% accurate. I am trying to change things up to keep up the body change. I am working towards losing more inches and getting in shape for a photo shoot in 7 weeks.

When you figure out your TDEE you should include the details about your weekly exercise and activity and the number is your maintenance number already including all of that. So you do not adjust for exercise and activity. You will adjust based on actual results.

I use a Fitbit and recently switched to the TDEE method, so I disconnected my Fitbit and am logging exercise as 1 calorie (just because I like a record of what I did). I have found historically that the "total burn" calculated by my Fitbit for the past 30 days lines up very well with what I actually lose (that is, if I eat 500 less than that on average I average -1 lb/week), so for me looking at that was additional confirmation of my initial estimated TDEE. You can also do the math based on your actual results if you have been logging for a while.

This is good to know.
  • sfkn123
    sfkn123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a question about this.

I've been doing something like 1200-1500 with a BMR of 1800. Since I'm below the BMR, doesn't that mean I'm doing damage to my body? I don't notice a huge difference in terms of health, and I'm definitely not getting tired all the time. Now I'm wondering if I'm logging properly..
    Eating below your BMR does not automatically mean you are doing damage to your body. Also, a BMR of 1800 is pretty high for a female. What is your height and weight, how did you come to that number. I'm 6'1 205 and my bmr is only about 1950. A female MY height and weight would have a bmr less then 1800. Are you bigger then 6'1 205?

He is a guy.
    I see. In that case his bmr is probably correct. Again, eating below does not automatically cause damage. If I was him I would ensure my logging and tracking was accurate before increasing calories. If he isn't weighing his food on a scale and if he eats out or does a lot of estimation, he may very well be eating quite a bit more then he thinks. Most men would be very hungry eating 1200-1500 calories every single day.

True, I would think he'd be very hungry. However, I do know a man who ate 1500 a day, and he lost tons of muscle mass. I wouldn't recommend it, if that is really what is going on.

The thing is, I'm not hungry.. My girlfriend makes my lunch and dinner, and she does use measuring cups, spoons, and weighs on a scale. I don't have to guestimate unless we eat out, which we only do once every 2-3 weeks.

I also do a lot of cardio and began weight lifting to rebuild my muscles last week. I'm one month in and have lost just a tad bit under 20 lbs.