Too fat to lift weights?

Options
So I'm a fairly overweight guy at 280 is lbs.
I'm a member of a gym that I'd been having an on and off relationship with for a while. Now though, I want to get back to it and have been reading various articles online about the big benefits of weight lifting (not on the machines but with the bells) to weight loss.
Problem is, I'm a complete newb and am afraid of what people may say if I venture to that area of the gym... I'm also rather shy and wouldn't have anyone to bring to the gym with me to help out anyway.
Does anyone have tips or advice/motivation for those of us in my situation?
Thanks!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There should be someone at the gym who can show you what to do, ask the person at the desk. Some gyms offer at least one free personal trainer session, too. Take advantage of that if you can. Get as much knowledge as you can out of the trainer and then go off on your own. You might also search through Youtube. I'm betting there are hundreds of videos showing you the proper form and technique for common lifts. Don't be afraid to be the "newb". I let that keep me out of the gym for months and I regret it. No one is really paying attention to what you're doing, they are too focused on themselves.

Whatever you decide to do, you're definitely not too fat to lift weights. I started lifting heavy a few months ago and I'm very pleased with the results so far. I spend about 45 minutes to an hour in the gym twice per week and run 3-4 days per week. I look and feel so much better than when I was just doing cardio alone.

The one thing you will notice is that you aren't losing weight as fast when you're lifting. You're replacing fat with muscle and muscle is more dense. So, if you haven't, grab a tape measure (the cloth kind) and measure your waist, thighs, calves, biceps, etc. and track them on MFP. When the scale doesn't move you'll often see a difference there.

Best of luck to you!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Gym people love to see overweight people in the gym: it shows they are working on the problem.

Check some youtube videos and stick with machines if you feel uncomfortable with free weights at first.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people have anxiety about starting new things, and lifting weights can be intimidating. As long as you have a green light from your doctor there is no good reason to not give it a try. Every person who is in that gym had a day one, too. They aren't there to judge you, they are there to do their thing. Look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 to give you some guidance on what to do while you are in the gym. I have never seen anyone on here say they regret lifting weights.
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership anymore, but when I did I watched some videos and had a training session (paid) to figure out the proper form. I think that's the most important part. If you do something wrong and hurt yourself, you might not want/be able to go back. I also found that some of the regulars would be very helpful and give me some pointers if I had a specific question.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I agree though lifting weights can be intimidating everyone has day 1 the important thing is you are working on it
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm also a guy who is 280lbs...

If you're worried about just talking to people, go to the gym and have a trainer help you out.

I can promise you the VAST majority of the people in the gym aren't looking at you.
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Yep, you are only a newb until the next newb comes along. No one is going to make fun of you...(unless you fart really loud while lifting...then you might get some snickers :) ) The person at the front desk will be more than willing to find someone to show you how to use the bells. Good luck!
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 339lbs and have no issue going to the gym if need be. Most of the people there are there to do their workouts and get out. They might gander at you but most of the good people there will think "that guy is getting himself some and is trying to better himself". I've talked to a few people at the gym that were buff and very much in shape and they are typically very nice and willing to help out if you have a quick question or two.

Don't worry about what people are thinking. Just do your thing.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of a gym that I'd been having an on and off relationship with for a while. Now though, I want to get back to it and have been reading various articles online about the big benefits of weight lifting (not on the machines but with the bells) to weight loss.
    Problem is, I'm a complete newb and am afraid of what people may say if I venture to that area of the gym... I'm also rather shy and wouldn't have anyone to bring to the gym with me to help out anyway.
    Thanks!

Get a trainer for at least a couple sessions to get you going...and yes I have found that doing weights and circuits have benefitted me more!! And my trainer has me out of the floor not on the machines.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Considering yourself to be too fat to lift weights is the same as me thinking I'm too tall or too old to go on the jungle gym. Pure BS.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a trainer to help you out through the "newb" time. Proper form prevents injuries and it'll help you get a feel for it. I'm meeting with one weekly myself (and I'm a 265 lb female, was more when I started)! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Never!

Get a trainer to get you going, read a great book like "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe et al, and welcome to the dark side!
  • RollosJ
    RollosJ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As someone said above me you should try the 5x5 strong lifts, it focuses on building a strength foundation and will correct any muscle imbalances you might have. I was a little over 336 when I started going to hitting the weights again, it's just all just in your head, no one makes fun a chunky person trying to get fit in the gym. Just go for it man worrying about what other people think just slows your progress. Check this site out a must for a newbie http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a book like "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, and look into a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or similar.
    Be careful with some trainers in commercial gyms because they are probably going to want to point you toward machine isolation exercises or the Smith Machine. If you want to train free weights, insist on a trainer that is comfortable with them and knows proper form.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started doing Crossfit at about 250 pounds. I am 5'2, so 250 pounds on me is quite robust!!! I tried it at first simply for comedy material. The funny fat girl doing Crossfit will be hilarious. I almost died the first time, comedy ensued as I had hoped. Then my stupid friend said she wanted to go back and wanted me to go with her. Whatevs, I'll go back again. After about 5 times, I wasn't getting sore anymore and I was dropping weight like cray cray. I felt amazing. I ended up doing Crossfit for about 5 months until it ended where I was going. I have now purchased some circuit training DVD's. Not the same moves or intensity, but it's still a good burn!!! Hoping to start it up again the way I was before and get this last blasted 20 pounds off!!!! Good luck!!!
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I really liked the New Rules of Lifting series of books. Since it is difficult to learn how to do 3 dimensional moves from a two dimensional book, I found it really helpful to google videos of all the suggested exercises BEFORE heading to the gym. Splurging on a few training sessions can be really helpful too (most gyms will offer you at least one sessions complimentary).

Good luck and good for you in taking a step towards a healthier life!!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - everyone has been a newb at one time or another! Just last night I had to get a trainer to show where to put some plates that someone left on a machine. It felt like a really dumb question since I was obviously getting ready to use the thing, but he was happy to help & quite apologetic that it gets "so messy" at night.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 5x5 when I weighed about 250 pounds. I had started losing weight two months earlier, with a beginning weight of 280 pounds. I should mention that I am a woman, and I am 47 years old. I had very little experience with heavy lifting prior to this.

I felt like a big, fat, ungainly dork my first day lifting! And I was doing it all alone in my garage, without witnesses. But after a lifting session or two I started to feel like a natural, and now I would let anyone see me lift-lifting has turned me into more of an athlete than I have ever been before.

I use the Stronglifts 5x5 iPhone app and it is terrific. Also, once you start going to the gym regularly, I bet you will feel so comfortable that if you need help, you will be okay with asking someone for it. People are usually pretty helpful in gyms, I hear, although I work out at home so I am not sure about that.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    cardio should be your priority 5 days a week and strength train 2-3 days a week low weight lots of reps

29509743.png
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Go lift....you will be glad you did.
    Screw what other people say......

Good Luck

Srs....GO LIFT!!!
    Get your diet in order,
    Have a trainer walk you through a workout routine comprising of compound lifts.....I would say go full body workouts...at least 3 days a week.
    Get form and technique right.