Dumbest thing you've been told/asked about weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I think the stupidist thing anyone has said to me was, "the pounds are just melting off, right?"...
    by my weight-loss doctor. I think he was trying to be funny. He got the Glare of Death.
    I wish they'd melt off. I've put a lot of time & sweat into this.
    1.) You can only lose 10 % of your body weight before your body goes into starvation mode and you won't be able to lose anymore.
    :facepalm:
    I've lost just over 20% of my starting weight and am still going, aiming for at least 40%.
    My doctors are quite happy with my health and progress.
    2.) What pill did you take to lose weight?
    a - none of your business
    b - that's rude
    c - phentermine, which controls appetite, and that let me eat sensible portions
    I just find it funny when people ask me what program I am on or what my secret is and then when I tell them I just watch portions, make healthier choices, don't cut anything out of my diet, and exercise they get this disappointed and shocked look
    The few times I've been asked, I tell them "the E.L.M.M. diet".
    And when they look confused, "eat less, move more".
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    My mom is an annoying know it all. When I bought my spin bike she tole me my legs were going to get huge and I wouldn't be happy with the results. Ugh. Shut. Up.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    "If you lose weight you will lose your Boobs!"
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Some one told me to stop eating bacon, butter and heavy cream to lose weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I guess in a weird twisted way that's kind of accurate because people who eat a lot of calories including those things at every/most meals would lose weight if they laid off of them by cutting calories. But yeah...no thanks!!

Honestly counting calories and being able to glance at nutritional info on this website has opened my eyes to so much I didn't know before. I used to think that a breakfast of 2 eggs, bacon, and a slice of toast was like "sinfully bad" compared to a big bowl of Special K with 2% milk which I thought was "diet". I'm glad I learned!
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I've been asked if I'm sick a lot...it's hard not to take offense, but I think the people saying it don't mean it to sound bad. But oh well :indifferent:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

I guess in a weird twisted way that's kind of accurate because people who eat a lot of calories including those things at every/most meals would lose weight if they laid off of them by cutting calories. But yeah...no thanks!!

Honestly counting calories and being able to glance at nutritional info on this website has opened my eyes to so much I didn't know before. I used to think that a breakfast of 2 eggs, bacon, and a slice of toast was like "sinfully bad" compared to a big bowl of Special K with 2% milk which I thought was "diet". I'm glad I learned!

I am not a big calorie counter. I just eat till I am full. pretty easy than crunching numbers.
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Don't mess with my bacon!
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    Here, drink this stuff. It'll do the work for you :ohwell:
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My fiance once told me he knew I was super fit because I had a thigh gap.

"babe, a woman is at her PEAK of fitness when she has a thigh gap"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I am not a big calorie counter. I just eat till I am full. pretty easy than crunching numbers.

ah, that's lucky for you I guess
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Why do you workout - it's not like you need to lose weight - you're skinny already! <<< Ummm mind your own business for 1 and for 2 - being "skinny" with fat everywhere is ugly, and 3 - Working out isn't always to lose weight, hello body recomp!
  • RachelStidd
    RachelStidd Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I had a friend in high school that needed to loose a good 50+ lbs and his mother tried to put him on a diet... well long story short he would not do the diet and exercise and his reasoning... if he lost weight he would loose his muscle! ROTF! haha
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My mom sometimes asks what I eat or what I do, then she seems disappointed when I tell her I don't eat anythng special and I just count calories.

But then if we go out or get takeout and I order something "healthy" -- like the kind of thing I think she expected me to say I eat all the time -- she gets annoyed. She has this mentality that if you go out to eat, you should just indulge and get whatever you want. However, I go out to eat too often to do that and lose or even maintain weight.