Could i do a marathon? Any tips?

Options
Hello, I was wondering could I do a marathon. I go running and everyday i love it. i have been running for the past year maybe more I cant remember. I used to do zumba and boxercise last year aswel but gave it up because it was getting too expensive. I lift kettle bells 3-4 times a week. I would consider myself pretty fit, I have gotten 10.5 in the beep test .

My friend and I are hoping to do a marathon in May, we decided we better start training but another friend of mine did the half marathon and she told me not to do a full one because its only for extreme runners and i wasnt good enough/fit enough.
Should we do the marathon?

By the way I have done Runs before but not a full Marathon, and i walked the Camino earlier this year.
And my friend who ran the half marathon only started running a week before hand.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

Just a matter of putting in the work. Good luck!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    my brittle asthmatic sister ran a marathon. she trained well for it

if your half marathon friend doesnt want to run a full one then that is her choice

your an adult. if you want to run a full marathon then follow a training schedule and get your butt on the race course

good luck!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, anything is possible. How much are you running now? It's generally advisable to have a base of at least 25 miles per week before starting a marathon training program.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could do it if you started training now. If your marathon is in early May then you would want to start your formal training about 18 weeks before that -- around January 1. Between now and then, as ZeninTexas says, you want to gradually build up your total weekly mileage to a minimum of 25 miles per week. As long as you are running something like 10 or 15 per week now that should be doable as well.

As bostonwolf suggests, come January 1 you'll want to start in on something like Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon training plan.

Take it one step at a time, listen to your body, and join an MFP group like Long Distance Runners to ask questions about injuries, gear, and so on.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If people on the show "Biggest Loser" can do a full marathon as rites of passage, you can too (being reasonably fit and everything). Marathons are a mental challenge as well as a physical one as with anything hard. If you say you can not do it, you won't be able to.

Train your hardest and just do it because you believe you can. It has been said that long distance running is 90% mental. I, for one, choose to believe that you can do anything you set your mind to. :happy:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could do it if you started training now. If your marathon is in early May then you would want to start your formal training about 18 weeks before that -- around January 1. Between now and then, as ZeninTexas says, you want to gradually build up your total weekly mileage to a minimum of 25 miles per week. As long as you are running something like 10 or 15 per week now that should be doable as well.

As bostonwolf suggests, come January 1 you'll want to start in on something like Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon training plan.

Take it one step at a time, listen to your body, and join an MFP group like Long Distance Runners to ask questions about injuries, gear, and so on.

Came in here to say this, but its already been said.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are hoping to do a marathon in May, we decided we better start training but another friend of mine did the half marathon and she told me not to do a full one because its only for extreme runners and i wasnt good enough/fit enough.
    Should we do the marathon?

There are a few key questions:

What's your objective? Is it completion of the marathon, or is it aiming for a particular time?
    What's your current base mileage per week, and what's the longest run that you routinely do?
    How many sessions do you do per week, and what time do you have to set aside for training?

In principle there is no reason not to work up to it, you have the time to prepare, and have some contingency for injury on the way.

There are plenty of options on plans, Higdon does seem to be popular, but there are others. Galloway is always a fallback as well.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can totally do a marathon with training. It may also require more focus on your nutrition as well, but yes, you can do it. I'm personally going for the half first as it has less training time and not nearly so strict on nutrition.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You walked the Camino, MarMary!? Buen Camino! I'm planning on doing the same next fall. I'd love to hear about your Camino experience.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your expectations. If you want to have say a sub 4hr time for a marathon then that would probably be a tough thing to achieve if your not already running a decent amount.

If, however, you just want to finish then absolutely no problem. Many, many people do marathons in 6 or 7 hours and probably walk half of the course but they still finish.

Have reasonable expectations and get out there and DO IT!!! :-)
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    any one can if you can walk . i watched the new york marathon last sunday and amazing literally all types of people, people on crutches even. dont feel you need to literally run the entire thing you have to keep a pace. go for it