Sugar & Cravings and low self esteem

Options
Hi,

I'm 27 years old, and I crave sugar everyday, I have to have it, if not, I feel like going nuts, I know there is no miracle pills for stopping the cravings, but how can I reduce them? Vitamins? I'm 260 pounds and I feel like I gave up, I'm looking at my life and feel like I've done nothing, I fail. I'm letting myself go then I have a 5minutes of pushing myself, then it's gone....I have a gym membership and I haven't gone yet. I just took my blood test this morning, and I'm afraid of what the results might be. I know I have High cholesterol. Any advice? Any tips?

Replies

• brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth and this is what I had to do. I had to re-train myself how to eat. I great tool for this is to weigh your food and track everything on mfp just to show yourself what proper portions are. I still have cookies, pizza, wings, candy, etc but I log it and as logn as your true to yourself and commited (don't lie to yourself but evaluate the logs) this will be a huge eye opener. You'll find yourself researching more about food and nutrition more then you'd ever thought you would have before.

Regarding exersize, I forced myself to go straight from work to the gym. Once I got to the gym I would go thru the motions and as every week went by I started getting used to it.

Stay consistant and one thing I've always muttered to mysefl for motivation is: "If they can do it SO CAN I"
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    OP, what's the longest you've gone without eating products w sugar? Might be worth trying a Whole30 9http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/) or other elimination-type diet.
    Dallas of the Whole30 has a quip like "the only way to kill the sugar dragon is to starve it".
  • AngelOfDeath19
    AngelOfDeath19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In a day, couple hours not even, I try to train myself not eating sugar, but then I get irratated, angry

As for the exercice, I would like to go after work, but I have to pick up my dad and he's a truck driver, he never knows when he'll finish and when it's passed 7, i need to eat, because it's already late and all, and I forget about the gym....
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Well at a certain point you're going to have to suck it up. There's no magic wand.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I used to get bad sugar cravings too, for most of my life. 3 years ago I gave up all sugar for a month, then I slowly reintroduced fruit back into my diet.

I have about 3 servings of fruit a day, but don't really want or need any extra sugar. If you give your body a chance to detox, you will have a much easier time moderating your sugar intake once you reacquaint yourself with what sweet actually tastes like. I still can't consume anything super sweet like sweet tea or soda anymore, it's unpalatable. This is coming from a girl who drank 3-4 sodas a day for most of her 20's. I had to take a glucose test recently to check for gestational diabetes and the coolaid like drink they gave me had me feeling like I going to vomit or pass out the whole time I had to wait. I was worried about the results but then I got the all clear, it made me shudder to think how it would have gone if I had not started eating healthier. I just wanted to let you know it's something you can get past if you try.

If you decide to give it up for a month and have trouble at first, then go ahead and eat whatever you think you want. Then try again in a few days or weeks when you are ready, try to get yourself psyched up for it. It will only be as hard as you make it. You have the rest of your life to eat better and be more active, if you feel like you need to fix everything at once it may take a few tries. The same goes for the gym, go and start slow. Make going to the gym a habit, get dressed get there and tell yourself things like you only have to stay for 5 minutes, you just have to go today. (Pretty much every time once you actually get there you will stay longer than the 5 minutes but it's a good way to bargain with yourself before you are motivated.) Good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    When you say sugar, what kinds of foods are you eating? What kinds of mental associations, if any, do you have with those foods? A lot of times we see people here who claim to have a "sugar addiction" when what they are really doing is emotionally eating, and the cravings are more of a psychological need to eat certain "comfort" foods to cope with feelings of stress, anxiety, depression, boredom, etc. The irritability and anger you've mentioned when cutting out sugar could be signs of frustration in not being able to engage in the behavior/habit that you use as a coping skill. Then you feel bad for eating it, and eat more to cope with those feelings. It's a pretty common issue that people in the MFP community face, and can be an obstacle to successful weight loss.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    When you eat something sugary it makes your blood sugars drastically rise but shortly thereafter they end up crashing. This can be contributing to your low mood and discouragement. Thought I would mention this FYI. I wish you well in getting away from your sugar addiction, as it will help your mood and outlook when you do. Take care :)
  • AndiSB1966
    Options
    Sugar is an addiction. Food manufacturers count on people becoming addicted. You feel like that most likely because you are having withdrawals. The first 3 days will be the worst. Get some Outshine Popsicles. And stock up on Gatorade G2...it will help with the cravings. You can kick it, you CAN! But you have to get all of it out of the house and stay away from sources. I could not visit my mothers house for a long time. I still have a hard time when I go there because there is crap food everywhere.
    Set your mind to it and just do it. Chew gum....but stay strong and beat it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    First, regarding the sugar. Maybe try giving up a particular sweet, I have done months were I have had no ice cream or no candy, or no chocolate, etc.. So maybe learning that you do have some self control will help you to realize this is something that you can overcome. It may also start to understand that eating certain foods may make it better or worse and you can manage that as well.

As far as the gym thing goes, I do not know if you work or not but I came to a point where I realized I give my job a great deal of my energy and at the end of the day there is very little if anything of value left for myself. I worked at taking back some control of my time. The major one, by getting my health together and surprise nothing fell apart, the world didn't end my friends and family still see me and in fact get to spend time with a healthier, happier me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When you say sugar, what kinds of foods are you eating? What kinds of mental associations, if any, do you have with those foods? A lot of times we see people here who claim to have a "sugar addiction" when what they are really doing is emotionally eating, and the cravings are more of a psychological need to eat certain "comfort" foods to cope with feelings of stress, anxiety, depression, boredom, etc. The irritability and anger you've mentioned when cutting out sugar could be signs of frustration in not being able to engage in the behavior/habit that you use as a coping skill. Then you feel bad for eating it, and eat more to cope with those feelings. It's a pretty common issue that people in the MFP community face, and can be an obstacle to successful weight loss.
    I agree with most of this. However, I have seen people who seem to have a physical addition to sugar, as well. I know that when I eat a meal that's almost all carbs I can't go long without wanting something sweet. However, when I eat a meal that's mostly proteins and fats I don't crave sweets after the meal.

For many people, it's easiest to just cut out sugar or even all carbs entirely, to break the cycle. The first week or so can be really hard but once you get past that week you literally stop craving sugar.

You might also look at keeping all sugary treats out of the house and only buying a single serving at the time you're craving it. Another way to help yourself would be to give in to the urge but with a very tiny amount. Buy some of those miniature chocolates and when the craving strikes have one, and only one, and eat it really slowly. You'll get the same taste and duration but you'll eat a lot less calories. You do need to be completely honest in your logging, as well. There's no reason you can't eat sugar and lose weight as long as you are in a caloric deficit but it takes dedication to measuring and logging all of your food to do it.
  • woodsanita
    woodsanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem the first thing I had to give up was diet soda That was not easy for me but once I did my sugar carvings where cut in half .:smile:
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have had same problem all my life, constant insatiable cravings. That is how I got to 322lb and why i piled weight back on every time i lost it. Fighting the relentless cravings, I just always got worn down and gave in eventually which then only made the craving worse.

For the first time in my life I no longer have constant insatiable food cravings. It is so easy to eat sensibly when the cravings are gone. I feel like I know how people without food issues stay right sized now. I still can look at something or fancy something and think i would quite like to eat that, but it is just a thought now and i can easily choose not to act on it. It is easy to make that choice now. I can sort of see now why some people are so judgmental of fat people. If it had always been this easy for me to choose not to over eat then i would never have got over weight and I would have no concept of how powerful true food cravings can be.

Having lived 33 years with the relentless craving though I know all too clearly how powerful it is. Being free from it for first time in my life feels like a miracle. What set me free was going on a ketogenic food plan , that is low carb, moderate protien and high healthy fats. I started on that 10 weeks ago in order to treat a totally different health problem. I read that it can also help people lose weight but that was not my reason for making this change. I made the change as an alternative treatment for a drug resistant a brain chemistry problem I have. I logged on to MFP again to help me track my daily macro totals and keep them within guidelines for my treatment.

It was a huge dietry shift for me but my other condition was life threatening and destroying me so i was desperate enough to try Ketogenic eating and to make myself stick to it. The first few days were really hard resisting the cravings but after that the cravings just went away and have not come back. That has never been the case for me on any other "healthy food plan". Probably the vast majority of people would not need a solution like this but if you like me have tried most other options then I recommend trying Low carb, moderate protien, high healthy fats. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight. It is not a magic weight loss solution. The key bit for me is that it killed my cravings dead and that enabled me to realistically stick to my calorie deficit.

If interested read up about it on google. There is also an MFP group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

I stuck to it closely for 10 weeks as it takes time for body to fully adapt. I had a treat meal out the other day of things higher in carbs and i was able to enjoy the meal. I had no insatiable cravings after. This is a great solution for me. No food is forbidden for me but i choose to stick to Ketogenic eating the vast majority of time because I am liberated from the cravings by doing so. I reserve high carb foods for genuine occasional treats when I feel safe to do so. For me that is occasional meal out with friends where i just have what i fancy and then go right back to low carbing after.
  • AngelOfDeath19
    AngelOfDeath19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, I'm speachless to see everybody trying to help me and give me some advice, I will try harder, it's mental, I have to do it. it's not an option anymore, i'm unhappy with myself, i'm hiding myself most of the time, i'm exausted, i can't move, i can't do what i want, i failed myself along the way.... i'm ashamed. I will get back up.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hugs.

You can do it, you just have to really want it; more than you want the sugar. The problem with a sugar addiction is that it's such a vicious cycle. Breaking it takes willpower but once you've broken it it can stay broken for good as long as you don't slip back into old patterns.

I think most people on this site who have been doing this awhile, or even anyone who's been where you are in the past would tell you how different their lives are and how much happier they are once they've cleaned up their diets and started to exercise. It's very difficult to imagine going back to the old way now. While I was never very overweight I was lazy, didn't like to sweat, ate mostly carbs all day, was tired all the time, got irritable easily, drank nothing but Diet Coke, etc. Now I'm limiting my carbs, getting plenty of protein, I run 3 or 4 days per week and lift weights twice per week. I'm by no means a fitness nut or what I like to call a "cardio hamster", but I have tons of energy, I sleep better and while I still have the occasional treat, a few beers each week and my daily Diet Coke, my eating is much better. I guess my point is, you don't need to go off the deep end trying to get healthy. You just need to change a few things, move more and limit the foods that aren't so good for you. You'll notice the benefits pretty quickly and they start to snowball as you start to feel better and better.