Ear Popping

MrTolerable
MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
Hey, anyone else have their ears pop while doing squats?

I was doing my routine as usual and got to squats - had my ears pop - not a very pleasant experience - and then they proceeded to continue popping every time I was lifting while at the gym.

Once again I go to the gym - everything is fine - get ready to do the squat - and bam my ears popped again and then popped for the rest of my routine.

Yesterday - I got smart and brought in some gum before lifting, however it did not pop this time anyway.

Anyone else know if this means my breathing is off, malnutrition, or I am developing an ear problem? - I recently started to go swimming almost daily.

Replies

• Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member

I was doing my routine as usual and got to squats - had my ears pop - not a very pleasant experience - and then they proceeded to continue popping every time I was lifting while at the gym.

Once again I go to the gym - everything is fine - get ready to do the squat - and bam my ears popped again and then popped for the rest of my routine.

Yesterday - I got smart and brought in some gum before lifting, however it did not pop this time anyway.

Anyone else know if this means my breathing is off, malnutrition, or I am developing an ear problem? - I recently started to go swimming almost daily.

Probably has to do with your breathing.. If your holding your breath while exerting force
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    No. You must be REALLY tall?
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member

Probably has to do with your breathing.. If your holding your breath while exerting force

I think he's on to something here. I had that same problem when doing pullups a few years ago. Don't know why but felt the need to hold in my breath while I was doing. What a stupid thing that was in retrospect. lol.
  • My ears pop when I'm lifting heavy weights. I think it's because I have a weird habit of holding my breath. Try to focus on how you're breathing and see if it helps any. :)
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    you're supposed to hold your breath when heavy lifting.
    My ears pop from sweat and my earbuds. If you are using them, maybe they are just shifting and causing a pop.

overall your ears shouldn't be popping
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Shifting your jaw in a certain way can cause your ears to pop - are you possibly clenching your jaw?
  • MrTolerable
    Today I really focused in on my breathing - I didn't do squats but no problem while doing my other lifts.

I think the problem could have been my breathing... I def was holding my breath the whole time.

- I guess your supposed to exhale while pushing and inhale while pulling?

Alsooo..could have been my ear buds blasting at 100% volume..?

I always listen to music crazzy loud tho and did today as well soooo don't think that's it. - one thing is certain it is very uncomfortable
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Popping is caused by an imbalance between the middle ear and the outer ear. Holding your breath, flying, swimming, any changes in pressure will cause this. When I breath poorly during a run, this will happen. And it'll pop in and out for a while. Try rectifying your breathing. While volume can damage your hearing over time, it does not cause pressure imbalances which lead to popping.

Chewing gum can open your Eustachian tubes which are located in your throat. If yours are small, the pressure can't equalize thru them if your sinuses are blocked (or your breathing is off). Yawning may help and I find myself yawning all the time to equalize my ears.
  • MrTolerable
    Popping is caused by an imbalance between the middle ear and the outer ear. Holding your breath, flying, swimming, any changes in pressure will cause this. When I breath poorly during a run, this will happen. And it'll pop in and out for a while. Try rectifying your breathing. While volume can damage your hearing over time, it does not cause pressure imbalances which lead to popping.

Chewing gum can open your Eustachian tubes which are located in your throat. If yours are small, the pressure can't equalize thru them if your sinuses are blocked (or your breathing is off). Yawning may help and I find myself yawning all the time to equalize my ears.

^every time I swim I feel a pressure build up in my ear - it doesn't pop but I def feel pressure, and when I fly I always chew gum because likewise my ears have more Pop in them, then Eminem's latest album.

I will be doing squats today- fingers crossed I get my breathing correct - I never really focused on my breathing while lifting - I just concentrated on putting up the weight. -- I def am going to be carrying gum around in my gym bag now.

thanks for your input :flowerforyou: I must have tiny Eustachian tubes
  • MrTolerable
    No. You must be REALLY tall?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    My ears pop when I'm lifting heavy weights. I think it's because I have a weird habit of holding my breath. Try to focus on how you're breathing and see if it helps any. :)

Not a weird habit at all. It stabilizes your core and ALLOWS you to lift those heavy weights.

Look up Valsalva (sp) manouver.

The downside is that it will spike your blood pressure so letting the breathe out after maximum exertion is a good idea. If I'm doing heavy squats once I get up past the sticking point I will start to let the breathe come out and fully exhale as I stand. Then take another breathe and repeat.
  • MrTolerable
    My ears pop when I'm lifting heavy weights. I think it's because I have a weird habit of holding my breath. Try to focus on how you're breathing and see if it helps any. :)

Not a weird habit at all. It stabilizes your core and ALLOWS you to lift those heavy weights.

Look up Valsalva (sp) manouver.

The downside is that it will spike your blood pressure so letting the breathe out after maximum exertion is a good idea. If I'm doing heavy squats once I get up past the sticking point I will start to let the breathe come out and fully exhale as I stand. Then take another breathe and repeat.

seriously thanks for that share! :smile: brand new information for me!
  • I had no idea about that. Thanks for the info!
  • MrTolerable
    *update* - no more popping of the ears - however I have changed my breathing pattern and am focusing heavily on it - exhale on the push and inhale on the pull.
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    I have also had an issue ove the past year or so with my ears that seems to be connected with extreme exercise. i have been surfing the net and of course I'm officially freaked out. My ears have felt extremely "plugged" for the past 48 hours and of course it's on the heals of a heavy fitness week. Last week I went to Crossfit 5 days and the wods were crazy good...aka extreme. I'm going to try to focus heavily on my breathing and I'm praying that helps.