Started C25K this week! Treadmill speeds?

Options
I'm not a runner. I make the joke "I only run if someone is chasing me with a knife." But I really want to be a runner. So after talking about it for months, I finally decided to start! I went with the C25K program so I had something to stick to, and so I didn't go too far too fast at first. I've completed the first two days of week 1, and while they aren't hard *exactly*, they are difficult. I can finish all of them with the only problem being mental, I think. Does it get easier/more enjoyable? Is there a point that you just had a breakthrough and went, "I actually LIKE running!" Because I want that to happen. Ha.

Also, I am starting C25K on a treadmill. I know it is probably better to run outside, but the only good times for me to run are either early in the morning (and I'm not a morning person!) or late at night, both of when it's either freezing cold or unsafe. I'm thinking I'll just start out until I get used to running and then try to brave the cold! So my question is, what are good speeds? I've been doing the walking at 3.5 and the running/jogging at 6.0 with a grade of 1.5-2.0. Is that okay? Too slow, too fast?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    6.0? That's wicked fast for a beginner who has never run before. My suggestion is to pace yourself for the longer run times. You don't want shin splints or sore calves or aching knees from doing too much too soon.

I say shoot for a 4.0 for the running and build from there. I finished the program a month ago and if I had pushed myself to run at 6.0 the first week, I would have quit halfway. But, you are different so yes, listen to your body, focus on running form, strides, breathing, how you move your arms, hold your neck.

Running is about a bunch of stuff so learn to do it right so you don't pay for it in a negative way further down the program. Run on and and have fun!
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of c25k, but I did my first 5k yesterday . I started running on the track because I would always go to fast on the treadmill. I would guess I go about 5 mph if on a treadmill. I noticed the slower I go the longer I could run. Good Luck. I went from never running a mile straight in my life to running 2 miles straight (working on 3). It really is a great program!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As long as you are pushing yourself to improve there is going to be some discomfort. This applies to your running distance, or your running speed, to strength training, or anything else, really. Once you hit your goal of being able to run 5k and you become comfortable with that distance, you will find it to be very enjoyable and will likely miss it when you aren't able to do it.
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did week 3 day 1 this afternoon. I walk at a speed of 3.0 and run at 4.0. I'm more concerned with sticking to the program and avoiding injury than I am speed at this point.
  • kissofsun
    kissofsun Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As long as you are pushing yourself to improve there is going to be some discomfort. This applies to your running distance, or your running speed, to strength training, or anything else, really. Once you hit your goal of being able to run 5k and you become comfortable with that distance, you will find it to be very enjoyable and will likely miss it when you aren't able to do it.

I never thought i would say i miss running, but after doing the c25k and was sick for a few weeks, i truly do miss it. starting back at the gym and logging my foods today! I feel better about myself, my mood is better, and i am less tired when i was running at least three times a week.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I think loving it comes more at the finish of run, well for me at least, I love the high of know I completed my goal :)

When I started C25K I walked at 3.5 on a treadmill and didn't get much higher than 4.3 during the run portion.
    You may want to slow down a bit. At this point it is to finish the goal, speed will come later.

Find your pace hold steady and work on speed later.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if what you're doing currently is working for you then stick with it. 6.0 is neither too slow nor too fast if it's the right speed for you.

i know for me personally (i'm also pretty much a beginner at this stage) my comfortable easy pace is around a 10.5 minute mile, but then again i have a pretty long stride and long legs and i can still fast walk a treadmill 5.0 pace
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I started the program I ran at 6.0 and walked at 3.5. As I progressed through the weeks I lowered my run speed to 5.5 to avoid repeating weeks or not completing a run. I finished the program running at 5.5. I run 2 miles about 3 x per week and I run that at 5.0-5.5 depending on how I feel. I want my run to be enjoyable. Prior to starting C25K I never enjoyed running and could only bring myself to run a mile at most and would hate ever bit of it. You can start at whatever speed you are comfortable at, but don't be afraid to decrease the speed to make your run more enjoyable. I run prior to lifting weights and I am really enjoying the results.
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I started I ran at a 5.0 with a 1% incline. I did all the training on the treadmill and my first outside run was at the 5k. As the times and distances get longer the faster speed will catch up with you and make it too difficult to finish.

As for the liking it part, it took almost a full year for me to get to that point. It was while I was training for a half marathon and running outside that I realized I hated running less than I used to. Now I (sort of) like running outside in pretty places. Good luck as you do the training!
  • Coffee0410
    Coffee0410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 3, Day 2. When I first started I would walk 3.5, run at 4.0. Now I walk a 3.6-3.7 and run 5.0-5.1. I do what feels comfortable, but slightly challenging. Mainly, I just want to finally finish the program. BUT, i'm not opposed to repeating weeks. Anywho....GOOD LUCK!
  • bethjpsu
    bethjpsu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K- I have run in the past- done a few 5ks, etc. but haven't had too much luck building my stamina. Finally using my treadmill that I bought 3+ years ago lol!

Just finished W1, Day 2- walking 3.5; running 5.0 - sometimes I slow down the walk for a bit after the run to catch my breath. I am 5'0" so even 3.5 is a fast gait for me! good luck to us all!
  • NYC2NCgirl
    NYC2NCgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie and just completed day 1 week 1.

I had posted on another c25k board about training on the treadmill. Yesterday was my first day and first day back at the gym after 2yrs and a baby!

The gym's treadmill has programmed settings for walking 2km, jogging 4km, and running 6km. I used the walking and jogging settings and found that the 2km was not a "brisk" walk so I'm going to increase the walking and possibly the jogging. Let's see what happens when I get to weeks 3 and 4 which have a longer jogging time.

I did a slight incline but may up that also to 1%. I need to work up a sweat and although I felt good after my run, i didn't feel like I worked out enough.