Weight gain... lack of sleep? Plateau?

Options
Could it really be lack of sleep? My recent gains in the last three weeks have all coincided with my daughter heading back to school. I've been staying up later (for some precious alone time) getting up earlier make my hubby breakfast and gone are naps if I'm feeling tired. I've been noticing puffiness under my eyes also.

Calculated it all up and I'm getting on average 5 hours a night sleep, in the summer I was getting between 8-9 hours. My diet has stayed the same, well actually, I've been decreasing calories. So, still gaining around a half to one pound a week, even with a considerable deficit of calories. I would think that being awake/moving around etc I'd be burning more, but alas, no. Any thoughts?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    how often are you weighing to start with?

Also, avoid even thinking "plateau" until it's been at 6 weeks with no loss.

culprits are most likely water retention, poop, or bloating. hormonal changes/TOM can effect things too.

if the average is going consistently for up to 6 weeks, you're eating above TDEE.
    if the average weight is the same after 6 weeks, you're at TDEE.

you're not going to gain eating at the same amount and sleeping less.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, same time and record once a week, same day, same time. I guess I'll give it another two weeks see where I'm at and try and figure out an accurate TDEE based on my actual numbers. The calculators don't seem to work for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, same time and record once a week, same day, same time. I guess I'll give it another two weeks see where I'm at and try and figure out an accurate TDEE based on my actual numbers. The calculators don't seem to work for me.
    calculators on here are just estimates anyway.
    so try recording once a week instead of daily.. since the body can literally shift a few pounds just from regular fluctuations.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do only record once a week. Oh gosh if I recorded daily I'd be in trouble. I "Look" everyday, just to get an idea, and I'm up or down sometimes 2lbs overnight. Consistently though, for the last three weeks (four weeks Friday, and I'm up an extra four pounds today, so thinking I'll see that pound + more probably at least again friday)

I've been up on my once a week recording days by on average about a pound. So, for some reason, I'm gaining now when I used to be losing, even after cutting my calories even further. It's just frustrating.