• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    meat, starch, veg. Filling, easy, done.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My quick go tos:

Veggie stir fry, or add chicken or shrimp.

Breakfast for dinner: scrambled or poached eggs, turkey sausage or turkey bacon, and english muffin if I've budgeted the calories. Or omelette with choice of veggies and meats.

I don't know if you can find it at Aldi's, but I grill Al Fresco Chicken sausage (sweet apple is my favorite) at least once per week. 160 calories per link. Serve with baked potato.

Grilled fish- put in foil tent with onion slices, lemon juice, and seasoning (I like Old Bay) and grill. I get my grill screaming hot on one burner, while leaving the other off. Put fish on side that is off. Cook until done.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Lean meat and mixed veggies.
    Egg scramble with ham and veggies.

I usually make a chicken wrap or I eat oatmeal. Or I throw a bunch of stuff in my crockpot and cook up a weeks worth of dinners for me. Freeze individual portions.

I also sometimes buy a whole rotisserie chicken, carve it, freeze the pieces and take one out to eat with veggies. I like mixed veg with cheese melted on top but sometimes a baked potato with a savoury flavoured cottage cheese is also nice.

Basically all my dinners are based off mixed veggies and some form of protein. I eat the skin/some fat from the meat if I need fat, and my mixed veg pretty much has everything I need in it: carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, potatoes, green beans. You could add brown rice or wholegrain pasta (or the normal ones, I prefer brown and wholegrain because I like their nutty flavor) as well, but that of course would bump up the calories a bit.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My go to is an easy ratatouille. Chop up whatever veg you have (onion, garlic, aubergine, courgette, sweet peppers, greens/leaves, mushrooms all work well). Fry in a little oil/spray oil in a pan until soft (stagger the times if needed eg onion/peppers will take longer than courgette/greens). Add half a tin (or more if cooking for >1) of chopped tomatoes and some protein if you want (I add kidney beans or veggie sausages). Season with salt, pepper, dried mixed herbs, chilli if you like (and I add a splash of balsamic vinegar). Easy and delicious, doesn't come out to more than 250-350 cals depending on veg and protein used. You can serve it with a carb but I find it filling enough alone. I often add a spoonful of natural yoghurt or cottage cheese on top (once it's off the heat) for extra protein/creaminess.

Or, a baked sweet potato with cottage cheese and half a can of broccoli and stilton soup. Sounds weird but it absolutely delicious and was a favourite of mine for a long time. Again under 300 cals :)
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing for either a side or a big portion as the entire meal is oven-roasted veggies with garlic. It's easy, healthy, and SO EFFING GOOD.

Chop up a bunch of veggies - I use broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, or beets. Toss with minced garlic and a little olive oil and S&P. Lay out on one or two baking pans, bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, broil for a couple minutes until roasty, and devour. Something about the garlic and the roasting makes them just unbelievably tasty.