Pilates / Yoga

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pilates or yoga video for beginners that I could use at home?
While I am working out often at the gym, I need to work on balance and flexibility as well.
I'm still in the early stages of this process so I need something that's not going to discourage me on the first try and that will help ease me into it.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is a group that involves yoga, if you don't get an answer here, or just to have yoga folks to chat with.

If you can afford it it might be a good idea to either take a few classes or even a few individualized lessons, so you don't develop improper form and end up with injuries. But that is only my 2 cents. :smile:
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh the yoga group can be found at
    Generic Yoga group here on the group tag.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I recommend a class too, a lot of yoga studios have a trial 2 weeks at a discounted rate. I have a Shiva Rea yoga DVD but it's not the same to me, I love the classes.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have an app that I downloaded in my iPad called Yoga Studio. It cost $1.99 and it has definitely been worth it for me because I use it multiple times a week.
    I love it because it has different levels (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced) and you can choose from different target workouts like Flexibility, Balance, Strength, Relaxation, and Combination. You can choose "classes" anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or an hour and a half and can set reminders or schedules to certain classes on certain days.
    I'm not sure if it's available on all devices or just on Apple, but I'd definitely recommend it.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I joined this group on line. I really like it a lot! http://ultimatepilatesworkouts.com/index

Hope it helps. ~Skye :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pilates or yoga video for beginners that I could use at home?
    While I am working out often at the gym, I need to work on balance and flexibility as well.
    I'm still in the early stages of this process so I need something that's not going to discourage me on the first try and that will help ease me into it.
    Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Yoga is great for balance and flexibility. I like Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga Body Makeover - the DVD set has 5 twenty minute workouts. Each one has a little bit different focus. Sara is really down to earth - not out there like some DVDs.

Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week is also good. It has 5 short workouts too. There's a standing yoga section, a hip opener section, etc. He's great for lots of detail.