Extensor Tendonitis

Options
Has anybody had this? What did you do to make it go away?

Since I started doing more walking, I have had pains on the top of my foot and the front of the ankle which are classic symptoms of extensor tendonitis. I bought a new pair of walking shoes as well as orthotics to put in them but I still get the pain after I walk. Is this something I need to let heal, then start walking again with the new shoes? I have been icing my foot and taking naproxin which have helped. I also have been walking my 10,000 steps a day, six days a week which probably isn't helping.

Yes, if it won't go away I will see a podiatrist but I prefer to try to fix it myself first. I am not the type to run to the doctor for every ache and pain or sniffle if some common sense home remedies or rest will take care of it.

Replies

• kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Has anybody had this? What did you do to make it go away?

Since I started doing more walking, I have had pains on the top of my foot and the front of the ankle which are classic symptoms of extensor tendonitis. I bought a new pair of walking shoes as well as orthotics to put in them but I still get the pain after I walk. Is this something I need to let heal, then start walking again with the new shoes? I have been icing my foot and taking naproxin which have helped. I also have been walking my 10,000 steps a day, six days a week which probably isn't helping.

Yes, if it won't go away I will see a podiatrist but I prefer to try to fix it myself first. I am not the type to run to the doctor for every ache and pain or sniffle if some common sense home remedies or rest will take care of it.
    Do you wear flip flops ever? I know I did, and I have cut way down on those. I wear my flats to work, but always wear my tennis shoes if I am going to be walking alot or workout. That has helped alot. I know when I get tired it really flares up, kinda feels like a sprained ankle. Rest and ice helps. I would let them heal, and then try again with the new shoes and orthotics.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Do you wear flip flops ever? I know I did, and I have cut way down on those. I wear my flats to work, but always wear my tennis shoes if I am going to be walking alot or workout. That has helped alot. I know when I get tired it really flares up, kinda feels like a sprained ankle. Rest and ice helps. I would let them heal, and then try again with the new shoes and orthotics.

I usually am barefoot. My sandals are Birkenstocks which form to fit your feet and have some decent support because of that. lately I have been wearing the walking shoes with orthotics around the house, even though I am a barefoot person by nature.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got this over the summer after I ran a half marathon and then went around barefoot for a couple days over the fourth of july weekend. I didn't see a doctor, but I wore close-toed shoes for a week and stopped running for that time. The main thing is to GIVE IT TIME to heal without exacerbating it, and wear those closed shoes so your toes can't flex much. (I wear Birks too but even those aren't nearly as good as sneakers for getting over this.)
  • Nae020004
    Nae020004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with my foot now. I went for a short walk this morning and realized that it may have been a bad idea. My foot has been in pain for about a week and a half. It was starting to feel much better but now I see that I haven't been helping my healing process by wearing flip flops. The summer season (and sometimes fall here in GA) lends itself to shoes with no support. Definitely going to get some real shoes for just being around the house/store/work/etc. Thanks for sharing. This really helped open my eyes to my bad habits.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I rested the foot yesterday and it feels better today. I think one more day of rest, then I will go walking tomorrow and see what happens.
  • Staceroo3
    Staceroo3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What should I be looking for in a sneaker if I have extensor tendonitis?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I did this exact taping this week and it really helped a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwY0h50juQ

You can check if this is what is up with your foot in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHRhAmxh9Y