Brit expat in USA needing to lose body fat

Options
Hi all,

I have lived in the US for just over a year and have found I've put on quite a bit of weight in that time. I work in I.T. so I sit down all day and although I go to the gym 4 times a week on average I am not so sure what I am doing is working. I'm not so concerned with trimming my weight (I am 6'2'' and 260 pounds), I'm more interested in decreasing my body fat percentage. I went to my doc today and he advised me to cut out ALL carbs and when I think about all the food I eat it is MOSTLY carbs. Can anyone advise me what foods I should cut out completely, which I should cut down on and which foods I should eat a lot more off to compensate for that loss of carbs?

Thank you

Replies

• DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit expat in Canada. Very similar situation, e.g. work in IT, put on weight in a couple of years after sitting at computer all the time and looking to lose it.

So many conflicting views on the carb thing. Personally I think its best to stick closely to the science. A low-carb diet does seem to be better for weight loss. Get used to lots of eggs, fish, meat and nuts I guess. :) Definitely avoid refined and highly processed foods. That's a given no matter what. Will be interested to read other replies here.

Why aren't you so concerned with trimming weight? 260 sounds uncomfortable.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI - higher BMIs (over 30) carry a significantly increased chance of incurring health issues.

I would have a look at this and not listen to the doc, his advice seems to go against most of the evidence based research out there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Cheers
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Your Doc said cut out ALL carbs? wow.
  • kellysg12
    kellysg12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of different ways to lose weight in terms of macromolecule distribution (that is, the percentage of calories/energy you get from carbs, fat, and protein). Most people stick to around 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. It is pretty universally agreed upon that this is ONE very healthy way to structure your diet.

Cutting out "all carbs" is deadly. Carbs are fruit, vegetables, and grains, as well as crackers, bread, soda, and candy. One easy way to help yourself lose weight is by changing the type of carbs you eat. More vegetables and whole grain (like brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.) will fill you up and keep you full longer than the same amount of calories in the form of sugar and processed carbs (white bread, potato chips, soda, etc). Absolutely cut back on these "treat" foods and try to eat from the outer edges of the grocery store (the produce section, meat section, and a bit of whole grain from the bakery) rather than the middle (where they keep the bagged snacks, canned and frozen dinners, etc.)

EDIT: It's a really good idea to speak with a dietician/nutritionist if you can! Your doctor will often refer you, and it's often covered by insurance if you're significantly overweight! Message me if you have questions on what I said, too.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm an American who (sadly) has never traveled out of the US. I also work in IT, and sit down ALL DAY. I don't think it would be healthy to cut out all carbs, I would just get rid of the processed carbs...like chips (crisps), white bread, candies (sweets), cakes, etc. Eat more fruits, veggies, and low-fat meats. Use MFP to track everything you eat...you would be shocked to see what some of your favorite foods contain (in terms of fats, sodium, other nutrients). Oh, and no more fast food. I don't have time to cook much, especially at lunch, so I go to a healthy food store (Trader Joe's) and buy prepared salads and TV dinners...reading the labels to make sure they fall within the carb/protein/calories/fat/fiber/etc. boundaries I have set for myself. Good luck to you!!!
  • RachelStidd
    Options
    t cut out all gluten and dairy and you'll loose weight super fast!
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would imagine your doc knows what's best, however it depends what your goals are. If you want to lose weight steadily and keep it off long term, don't cut out anything. Just eat everything in moderation and find ways to move more.

If you want to drop weight fast but don't mind gaining it back afterwards, then start cutting out food groups.

Honestly. I've been there, done that. I sit a lot at work and school and the only thing that has worked is following my macros and meeting them, and moving as much as possible (walking to and from work, etc).
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to MFP! It's a great community and you can get a lot of support and questions answered. Don't be afraid to just post away!

If you're trying to decrease your body fat percentage, burning off fat is more than likely also gonna lead to weight loss. So while losing weight doesn't seem to be your primary focus, it will probably still happen, which is just fine! One of the main keys of shredding body fat is proper nutrition. If you're trying to lose body fat, exercise is one step forward, but a poor diet is two steps back! That being said, you pretty much need to determine your daily caloric needs. This helps you to know how you Base Metabolic Rate (BMR), or many calories your body needs on a daily basis. Then you adjust for your average daily physical activity level, and then adjust further for weight loss or weight gain. All you need to determine this is your height, weight, and age. You provided two of those in your OP (and your profile page lists your age at 34). you can do this youself using many formulas. They can be found online, especially here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/178764-caloric-intake-formula/

Using the Harris-Benedict Equation, your BMR comes out to: 66 + ( 6.23 x 260 ) + ( 12.7 x 74 ) - ( 6.8 x 34 ) = 2,445. This is your minimum number of calories to support your body doign nothing. You also stated that you are usually sedentary at work, so I would multiply this by 1.2, so that 2,445 x 1.2 = 2,900. Then you can next adjust it lower for how much weight you want to lose. For example, if you want to try to lose 1 pound per week, subtract 500 calories to get 2,400 calories.

As for what to eat, I certainly wouldn't cut out ALL carbs. Carbs are what fuels your body and gives you the energy needed hroughout the day and when you exercise. However, it sounds like you should definitely limit the amount of carbs you consume. If what you mostly eat is carbs, your body needs other macros and nutrients as well. Look to add in some proteins and fats (yes, your body does needs HEALTHY fats, too!). To help you with that you need to change in your diet, it's best to know what is your diet.

What you should try to cut out as much as you can are processed foods - usually boxed, prepackaged meal-type of "foods." They tend to be high in calories and sugar but have almost zero nutritional value. They are just empty calories (Remember, not all calories are equal!). In place, eat more fruits and vegetables along with some grains, meat for protein (chicken, fish, etc.) and some fats (peanut butter, almonds, avocados, olive oil). Just remember to plug it all into MFP and you can track exactly how much you are eating.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I do Atkins and if you do it properly, eventually no food is off limits, contrary to those who think low carb is high protein. It's actually high fat, medium protein and low complex carbs - tons of veggies). You can get all the inio for free if you go to atkins.com and click on the learning atkins tab. People who push carbs know nothing about nutrition. The body has requirements for fat and protein or you will die. You could go your whole life (think eskimos) and never eat a carb and be healthy. There is more and more evidence linking grains and processed foods to health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, alzheimers, etc. Do some homework and then decide.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hello!

I think you should get a second opinion ... SERIOUSLY!

ALL foods has a certain amount of carbs - veggies, fruits, dairy. If the physician is suggesting to cut out REFINED carbs like white flour based items, white bread, pasta, etc then I may not think THAT ill of him/her.

Before you go cutting out an entire food group you may want to really reflect if you want to have a quick fix or really adopt to healthier lifestyle change. To omit an entire food group is just not sustainable for any length of time.

Instead of dumping an entire food group perhaps start reading food labels and select items you eat regularly and just chose the lower carb & sugar option. Do a couple of swaps a week and before you know it OVERALL you will be consuming less carbs & sugar that you can actually maintain.

Even the Induction phase of the Atkins eating plan doesn't cut out ALL carbs (it allows up to 15 - 20g of Net Carbs a day & those should be coming from vegetables) so ... second opinion ... yea.

Like many can attest, this healthy lifestyle journey is rather individualistic - there is no universal answer for every one. Maybe start with baby steps & look to trading out refined carbs high in sugar for complex carbs (whole grain).

For Example:
    Swap out regular white bread @ 160 Calories (2 slices) 30g Carbs, 4g Sugar
    vs.
    Sara Lee's 45 Calories and Delightful 100% Whole Wheat Bread @ 90 Calories (2 slices) 9g Carbs, 1g Sugar

This simple swap saves 70 calories and 21g of Carbs and you won't feel like 'OMG I want to eat the whole loaf of bread' as you pass it by the grocery store because you have deprived yourself of something every body needs in one form or the other.

Just something to consider - Good luck!
  • mrneonshuffle
    Options
    I'm a Brit expat in Canada. Very similar situation, e.g. work in IT, put on weight in a couple of years after sitting at computer all the time and looking to lose it.

So many conflicting views on the carb thing. Personally I think its best to stick closely to the science. A low-carb diet does seem to be better for weight loss. Get used to lots of eggs, fish, meat and nuts I guess. :) Definitely avoid refined and highly processed foods. That's a given no matter what. Will be interested to read other replies here.

Why aren't you so concerned with trimming weight? 260 sounds uncomfortable.

Thanks for your reply. Yes 260 is uncomfortable I should clarify that I am more interested in burning fat and building a little muscle so I don't mind if my overall weight might actually increase. I go to the gym 4 days a week and do 30 mins of moderate-high cardio and 20-30 mins of moderate-high resistance machines (pulldown, leg press etc). It absolutely knackers me out though!

I guess my shopping list for next week is going to look quite different :)
  • mrneonshuffle
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I haven't been logging anything yet but I will. I am not going to cut out ALL carbs, I don't know how much of my doc's suggestion was down to my acid reflux issue I've been having lately (I've cut down on caffeine as well as eating meals slower and letting them cool down for that).

I am trying to compile a shopping list for next week to see what I can eat instead of sandwiches and pasta for lunch and dinner!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and USA. My hubby was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 years ago now, and was able to live with less carbs and fried foods. But, it is impossible to not eat carbs at all, even if you were type 1 diabetic. Carbs are simply in food.

A rule in our house about losing fat: you can never out lift or out run a bad diet. Fork downs are going to be important even if you want your fat to turn into muscle. Strive for a sustainable, all your life diet. While my hubby no longer has to take diabetic meds, he is carefully checked out by our Dr. since it is still runs in his family, and we are getting older.

A rule for expat: how much beer do you really drink? ;)

Sure you can have some, but when you find out how many carbs are in beer you may want to drink less beer. A sterotype I know, but when my hubby went overseas he swore that the Brits ate no food and thought beer was food. Figured I would toss that in there for consideration.