Reheating cooked steel cut oats

Options
I am starting all over again tomorrow. I bought 100% Natural steel cut oats. I have never cooked them before (I've always used instant oatmeal) so I was looking for some help. If I cook them in advance are they good heated in the microwave for a few days?
Also, please share some of your favorite recipes, additions etc.

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Check out The Oatmeal Artist for some good ideas: http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

Also you might want to look into "overnight oats". You make the kit the night before and the oats soak up all the liquid and you can eat it cold or heat it up.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look at those.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am starting all over again tomorrow. I bought 100% Natural steel cut oats. I have never cooked them before (I've always used instant oatmeal) so I was looking for some help. If I cook them in advance are they good heated in the microwave for a few days?
    Also, please share some of your favorite recipes, additions etc.

I used to make enough for a few days in the crock pot on low over night (about six hours -- add more water if it is going to be longer than six hours.)
    What I did not eat, I put in the fridge to reheat in the microwave the next day.

Some people put pumpkin and protein powder in theirs.

I usually ate mine plain with a little salt.

But sometimes if I needed more calories, I added slivered almonds and raisins or sliced banana or a few table spoons of yogurt.

Flavorings like vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon, or cocoa powder are good.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin sounds good, Thanks for the ideas.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can pre cook and reheat them. Overnight oats are my fave.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/overnight_oatmeal.html
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    oh i should mention, my 2 favorite additives to oatmeal:

PB and brown sugar=PB cookie

or

2 over easy eggs. with salt. (YUM!)