ok guys a little help if you please

Options
cakeordeath
cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
i am making a shopping list, its the 1st big shopping trip i am making since beginning my journey to lose weight. besides salad stuffs and fresh fruit and veggies anyone have any suggestions for healthy foods i can add to my list? i also have to keep in mind i have no microwave, and have to feed four picky kids and a husband that would eat cheese stuffed steak covered in mashed potatoes for dinner every night if he could. =)

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Besides tons of Fruit and Veggies, these are some of the things I would normally get....

Almonds
    Hummus
    Special K Crackers
    Light Soy Milk
    String Cheese
    Oatmeal
    All Natural Peanut Butter
    Green Tea
    Salmon Cups
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i replaed my regular bread with demptsters bodywise multigrain and love it. I even converted my guy over to it. it's a pretty easy switch that saves a bunch of calories
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has an awesome shopping checklist that contains all kinds of ideas for healthy items by brand. I fyou have not checked out her site it's http://www.hungry-girl.com/ She give great advice on new products and has tons of good recipes-most of them include Weight Watcher points if you follow their program at all.

this should take you to the list :) Good luck!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1532
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    chicken breasts
    pork chops
    salmon fillets
    oatmeal
    brown rice
    sweet potatoes
    fat-free milk
    natural peanut butter (ingredients should be "peanuts" or "peanuts, salt"; watch out for added sugar)
    eggs
    sliced turkey for sandwiches
    natural whole grain bread (again watch out for sugars and added crap)
    lite mayo
    whey protein powder
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese,35 cal bread then put a little pizza sauce,mushroom etc..and mazz cheeze and put it in the oven for just a bit and it is so yummy.Also get some pkgs of sf puddingd,sf jellos and sf cool whip to put on top. There's a lot of things to prepare but I don't know your taste.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Bars
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches
    Special K
    100% Whole Grain Bread
    Activia
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    baked potato's can always have something different in them each time you have them.
    im quite a fussy eater so i still eat what i want in moderation.
    as for snacks i get low fat yogurts, healthier crisps, i.e weight watchers or velvet crunch. and cereal bars chewee and tracker bars not sure if you get them where you are from im from uk
  • dansmyman
    Options
    Buying ground turkey and using it for ground hamburger-they will never know. Pork is great for you as well. Lots of fruits and vegetables as well-making them a meal, yourself a big chef salad. It is amazing our kids are sometimes jealous of the food we are eating-there are amazing sugar free fudgepops..OMG they are great, 40 calories and the kids dont understand why they cant have them...lol. www.threefatchicks.com has some great receipes as well-I make a lot of soups, the kids like them and they are filling and low calorie enough for me. Good luck!
  • apanico
    Options
    Where do you buy the Dempster's bread?
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    also my husbad came home and said that one of his soliders told him that if you take 4oz of hamburger and sticks it in a food processer with 2 cups of oatmeals and blends them together it will cut down on the fat of the hamburger but not the flavor, has anyone tried this?
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Beans and legumes
    Canned tomatoes
    Soba noodles
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    The most important thing is to go in prepared. Make a menu for the coming week or two (depending on how often you go shopping) and write down the ingredients you will need. NEVER go to the grocery store without a list.

I like to plan some easy meals, some more intricate, some for the crockpot for days when the girls have TKD or skating, some that are for the oven for the w/end and some that can be made on the stovetop for quick weekdays.

I always make sure I have lots of low or no sodium stock on hand as I have found it more flavourful and healthier to saute in stock rather than oil.

I have also learned that picky eaters will stop being quite so picky if you hold firm and make them try new things though it may take a few weeks/months.

I do plan my lunches as well when I shop so I make sure I have the ingredients for that as well as for the kids' lunches. Hubby inevitably brings leftovers from dinner.

if you go to organizing junkie's blog (just google organizing junkie menu monday) you will literally get links to hundreds of menus to help you.

Good luck!
  • Mamaheatherhg
    Options
    also my husbad came home and said that one of his soliders told him that if you take 4oz of hamburger and sticks it in a food processer with 2 cups of oatmeals and blends them together it will cut down on the fat of the hamburger but not the flavor, has anyone tried this?

How would that cut down on the hamburger fat?
  • dsweise
    dsweise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Using the oatmeal to add to the amount of hamburger reduces the amount of actual hamburger you are using. You have about twice the hamburger with the fat content of only 4 oz.
  • easternfan
    Options
    But 4 oz. of hamburger is only the amount of a quarter pounder burger-- mix that with two full cups of oatmeal? That's meaty tasting cereal. Yuck!!! The ratio is just wrong! That would just be awful! My old meatloaf recipe had 1/3 cup of oatmeal for 1 1/2 lbs of hamburg and you could pick it out of that, even with tomato paste and an egg.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I second the Skinny Cow items. Also, Great value Ice cream sandwiches (Mini's or sugar free) both around 100 calories. Whole wheat pastas and brown rice. I do allot with the sugar free/fat free Jello pudding mixes. Plan on 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I keep Hunt's pudding packs (sugar free) and Quaker Oats low fat energy bars on hand to pack in a lunch and snack cooler If you like cereal in the morning, the Kashi brand cereals are great and loaded with grains.