Feeling guilty for being sick..

Options
I went over my weekly calories last week and really wanted to make up for it this week... but I got sick. Headache, dizziness, no other symptom but enough to make it impossible to exercise (I can't even unload the dishwasher without feeling dizzy).

And unfortunately, my appetite hasn't suffered one bit, and I have no way of burning off the extra calories... I did good yesterday but today, not so much.

It sucks. How do you deal with it when it happens? It's my second day and I'm not feeling any better.

Replies

• Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I understand the frustration, and it does suck! First, listen to your body. If you get dizzy doing simple tasks, then you must need the rest. Maybe go to the doctor if you can or feel like something is wrong. Something like this might be out of your control, as I experience with certain physiological issues I have, so it is okay to just take it easy for a little bit of time. Sometimes there is this battle between the mind and the body - the mind feels bad for what the body is doing. I feel guilt whenever I have to cancel plans because of pain, even though there really is no control over it. It might help you to know that you have little control over the situation, and given what is happening to your body I would listen to it more than the number of calories or what the scale might say. Not sure if that is helpful at all, but definitely don't feel guilty for not exercising when your body is telling you something is off.

Generally when I PMS, everything just goes to hell. I eat more food and I want to eat more fatty food (comfort). I feel bad about it, but I know I don't have to continue those habits when I feel better. So, up to a week I might be thrown off, but tomorrow is always a new day (cliche but true). Yesterday was good for you, today was not so great, then maybe make sure tomorrow is good again. Perhaps choose foods for tomorrow that are lower in calories, and if you are still hungry you can eat more of it. And judging by your weight loss scale, you have done an amazing job reaching your goals! An off day/week here or there really won't matter in the grand scheme of things. (IMO, of course)

Feel better soon!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Realize that it's only one week of your life. Weight loss should be for the long haul. Move forward and stop trying to backtrack (making up for last week, etc). Just make healthy choices this week, take the needed time off to let your body recuperate, and chill.

If your appetite is super ravenous, make better choices (you're in control of these) so you can eat more yet remain below a certain caloric deficit. Have homemade for soups for dinner (lots of veggies, beans, etc). For a sweet snack (I recommend fruit, first), make low-cal muffins (I just found a great recipe: mashed banana + quick oats + chocolate chips in a muffin pan for 10 minutes = pretty decent banana chocolate oat muffins.

All in all, it's not that big of a deal. Guilt is a really heavy emotion to feel for something that is so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Take care of yourself. Feel better. And eat well.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Consider how you might respond if someone else were posting the same thing you have.
    You have been here quite a while and have a high post count, so I am sure you have come across other similar topics.
    It is just a short period of your life. You have managed to lose a lot of weight, and even if you put on a Ib or two, it will most likely drop off again as soon as you get back to your usual routine.