Cutting out Soda

Options
I am finally making the decision to cut out soda completely. I love my coke and have gone from drinking it multiple times a week to drinking it only on weekends and I have even dropped the amount I normally drink on weekends. This is all of course to cut my sugar even more.

What are some not too sugary drinks that I can drink and not binge too much on sugar? Sometimes I still crave that "sweet" drink since I mainly drink water during the week.

Replies

• desidieter
    Options
    I did the same thing about a year ago, and to be honest, I don't even want to go near soda anymore, lol. I know there are people who will say, "just have it in moderation," but I personally don't see the need to incorporate soda into my life. I actually cut it out because I'm a singer, so I did it more for my vocal health than anything else. But when I was making the transition, I used to do a lot of lightly sweetened iced teas. That was a good alternative for me. Now I sometimes drink my iced tea unsweetened. Just depends on the day. So maybe you can try that and see if it works for you. :)
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm giving up soda beginning tomorrow (though I haven't had any in two days so I guess I've already started unofficially, haha). The only things that keep me away from it is binging on water (I call it binging because my normal intake is NONE) and drinking unsweetened tea.
  • sr2107
    Options
    Yeah I have been tracking my calories now for about 20 days and on my "cheat days" (every friday and sometimes through the weekend) I feel like soda just messes everything up. I have even tried to drink half the bottle but it still has way too much sugar.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You could try iced tea ... some of the flavored stuff can have as much sugar as pop, but you can make your own and gradually reduce the amount of sugar.

Cold-brewed iced coffee is very refreshing. (Even if you're not normally a coffee fan, the cold brew is less bitter so you might give it a shot)
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Is diet soda not an option?

No sugar no calories
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is good once you get used to it. Vanilla or Cherry Coke Zero is even sweeter, if you really need it.

I usually just stick to a splash of cranberry juice (the real thing - not that Ocean Spray sugarwater) in some water.
  • sr2107
    Options
    Nope no diet soda for me, don't like the taste and there are too many contradicting things about diet sodas
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer. Nice alternative and very refreshing!
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    diet soda is worse than real soda - it's just a ****storm of chemicals ! have you tried kombucha? some people love it, some hate it. it's naturally fizzy. I'm at day 15 of no soda! it's hard but it's just so bad !
  • soinfinite
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda three months ago, and I feel so much better for it!
    I mostly just drink water, but every now and then, I buy an ICE, which is flavored sparkling water.
    Strawberry Kiwi is my favorite. :)
  • sr2107
    Options
    diet soda is worse than real soda - it's just a ****storm of chemicals ! have you tried kombucha? some people love it, some hate it. it's naturally fizzy. I'm at day 15 of no soda! it's hard but it's just so bad !

WOW way to go, I am thinking of going 21-days without soda and see how it goes. I know it will be a challenge but I am up for it.
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I stopped at the end of july, now its mostly water ocasional tea or lemonade but mostly plain water.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Barring specific medical issues: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1323720-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • sr2107
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda three months ago, and I feel so much better for it!
    I mostly just drink water, but every now and then, I buy an ICE, which is flavored sparkling water.
    Strawberry Kiwi is my favorite. :)

I actually like those as well. I have a bottle in the fridge too. I guess when a craving kicks in I could drink that.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero has had 0 affect (from what I know) on my weight loss / diet / health.
    and I'm down 69 pounds (have been drinking it from the start of dieting)
  • KittiePerry
    KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to use Mio or Crystal Light or even sugar free kool aid. ALSO instead of having Root Beer like I normally do I've been buying Big Hug Grape flavored with 75% less sugar. Only 4 grams of sugar and the bottle and only 20 calories in 16oz! It's great and I love it. I'm trying to get back on drinking mainly water though.
  • susanyounkin
    susanyounkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I quit soda a couple years ago. I don't miss it at all. Good luck!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda for Lent a couple of years ago and never looked back. In general terms, I chose not to incorporate sweetened drinks - not because sugar is evil - but just from a caloric perspective, I'd rather consume my limited calories in a more satisfying form (fats / proteins).

When I do crave something sweet to drink, I usually go for flavored almond milk (vanilla and chocolate being my favorites). If you have no sensitivities, I'd suggest giving them a try.

Congratulations on your decision and best of luck!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    How about coconut water? Water is by far the best option, but if you crave sugar coconut water maybe a good option