Warning TMI....(constipation)

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fat and oils -- these are essential to the body but many dieters take them out.
    Prunes (they have sorbitol and other good things.)
    Magnesium -- works as a stool softener
    Green Coffee Bean Extract -- has magnesium (stool softener)
    Suppository -- it works within 20 mins
    Constipation can be a symptom of Celiac and other conditions.

As you on medications that cause constipation? Talk to the prescribing doctor or pharmacist.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Take some ZMA for a while.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    what should you do?
    seek immediate,professional medical advice asap.
    rectal bleeding is serious and not for 2nd guessing on the internet.
    had some similar symptoms 3months in from dieting/exercise, been diagnosed with. ibs-c and have a treatment plan/ meds to correct.

update. 7 days on and my symptoms/problems 90% resolved.
    doctor gave me a script for
    fibogel. added fibre supplement.
    anti-spasmodic .
    recommended also peppermint oil capsules ( taking 2 daily after food) and. peppermint tea ( drinking nightly)

hope you have managed to release your death-grip on the bowl and fixed your problem?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yogi "Get Regular" tea...give it a try 2 hours before you go to bed and expect results in the morning (or results within 10-12 hrs). You won't need to do this everyday. :)
    The first ingredient on this "tea" is SENNA a power STIMULANT LAXATIVE.

DON'T do this every day. Hell, don't do it at all if you can help it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Magnesium. Any kind. If it's not working, take more. If you're taking too much, you'll know.

And I agree on backing off on the fiber supplements...

:laugh: yes...

when:
    POOH_c5e3a4_361397.jpg

Magnesium supplement always helps. Take it at night, relief to follow :wink:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but I can almost 100% bet you that you need more dietary fat.

get to white castle or five guys- have a burger.

drink some coffee

go for a run

you'll be all set.
    This. Unfortunately I found out that running doesn't agree with me purely because of its "clearing" affects. And many people load up on fiber and water but often forget that dietary fat is very important for being regular as well. (One of the problems with the low fat fad that was going on in the previous decades.)
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I always have. I've been recently dxed with IBS-C.
    Whatever you do, do NOT take a stimulant laxative (ducolax or phillips). Your body pretty much gets dependent and you can't go on your own.
    A couple of months ago it had been over a week so I went to the doctor-he told me to take mirilax every 2 hours for 2 days to get myself initially "cleared out". It worked and I've been pretty steady for a while. Usually if I get backed up I take a capful of mirilax and all is well.
    Red wine helps me usually, I don't know if you drink but alcohol usually makes me go like crazy.
    There's also a diet specifically for IBS-C that you may want to check into if constipation is something that's occuring often, it also helps me with stomach pain.
    Good luck!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    drink more water. move more (walking is fine). <<<mostly, it is that simple.

try a probiotic. i'm on one long term for a few reasons, including digestion. it is actually better for your immune system than a multivitamin.

if you are bleeding, please see a doctor. supplements like miralax or laxatives should not be used regularly. it might take some time to get back to normal. and your body will have some adjustments... but it is worth it!! good luck.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I take Psyllium husk caps, works like a charm
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My doc told me that if you are already constipated, go easy on the fiber as it just makes adobe(mud and straw) her words not mine. If you have hard stool, transit time is often factor. I agree adding fat and water is key and apple or prune juice might be better than fiber supplements at this point. Also magnesium worked for me to. Glycerin suppositories can get things moving but really, nearly any ASSistance could be habit forming so better to skip it or use sporadically.

Maybe make a coconut milk(good for pooping)/ blueberry(FIBER)/coconut oil(FAT) smoothie and wash down a little magnesium with it??

The bleeding can be sign of a series issue but if it's just a little spotting, you probably just tore your bum straining. I don't think it is majorly alarming though if it recurs I would def speak with your doc. Good luck, being constipated is awful.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    As someone with inflammatory bowel disease (currently in remission), I am wise to the ways of #2 ... not something I normally brag about :) If you are bleeding, inspect your poop. If the blood is on the outside of it, chances are it is likely a hemi (especially if it feels like you are pooping out a pine cone!). However, if the blood is mixed in with the poop, you definitely need to see a doctor as that is a sign of something more serious. If you have a physical soon, ask your doc about it.

I ditto the probiotic ... you should really take it daily for overall immunity boost. More water and healthy oils are good too. I find that for me, coffee can kick start things but it doesn't work for everyone. Coconut oil tastes good to me so I usually have a teaspoon or two daily anyway but if you cannot get over the oiliness in your mouth, mix it with hot coffee or hot chocolate. Or, make a salad dressing with the oil. I have even spread it on toast and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Get checked just to be sure.
    Drink lots of water. I aim for minimum 45 grams of fiber every day - that usually includes benefiber in my smoothie and at least 3 ultra-fiber supplements - plus 14 cups of water a day and I usually still need my 5 prunes before bed...
    Before I cut out the gluten in my diet I spent 15 years thinking I had IBS - went from constipation to the runs every couple of days - at least now I'm much more regular and much less tummy issues since cutting out the white (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes)...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Fatty things make me go easier... also, make sure you're not having more than 35 g of fibre (25 - 35 is recommended). If you're not used to eating so much fibre, a sudden increase in fibre can cause constipation.

I actually find sugary things make it easier for me to go too... but too sugary (like slurpees and things like that).

If you're bleeding though, even if it's a hemorrhoid, you should visit the doctor.

And in terms of fruit, check online, but some may actually cause constipation! Like bananas. I always thought they made it easier to go but then I found out I had it backwards...
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that weren't mentioned by other posters:

- Unless you have ever been anemic, switch to an iron-free multi vitamin if you take a daily multivitamin. The iron constipates you, and if you should be able to get plenty of dietary iron from red meat and leafy greens.

- My doctor prescribed daily MiraLax and said it was safe to take as often as necessary. If you can find a dietary solution, that's even better, but don't suffer in the meantime!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Get checked just to be sure.
    Drink lots of water. I aim for minimum 45 grams of fiber every day - that usually includes benefiber in my smoothie and at least 3 ultra-fiber supplements - plus 14 cups of water a day and I usually still need my 5 prunes before bed...
    Before I cut out the gluten in my diet I spent 15 years thinking I had IBS - went from constipation to the runs every couple of days - at least now I'm much more regular and much less tummy issues since cutting out the white (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes)...
    I agree with much of what you say... just checking but making sure you're not suggestion that rice, and potatoes are "gluten".
    That said, yes, for ME the starchier the food (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) lead to constipation.
    So some of the "high fiber" things docs suggest ("whole grains", bread, "all bran, fiber one bars etc.).... caused me more problems than good...
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would eat only easy digestible foods for the next few days....scrambled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, sweet potatoes

Get a probiotic and stop taking the fiber

Have some fruit - baked apples, unsweetened plums, cantaloupe

Ginger Tea...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing an internal hemmy. I don't think it's serious, but avoid eating abrasive foods such as nuts that will cut it up every-time. Switch to nut butters, they're better anyway.

Um, for regularity, how about some Fiber One brownies? those are delish or clementines or apples or plums or dried fruit. If you got money to blow you can buy Quest bars. Those are really high in fiber. Doc's recommend around 30g a day for regularity.

If your condition worsens or doesn't go away def see your doctor.

ETA: just extra comments after seeing others. I agree probiotics are good. They keep your gut flora in check and we women can always use that extra help. I see nothing wrong with taking psyllium husk caps. It's only 1g of fiber per two caps! Not a big deal and if it helps, keep it in your diet. Flaxseed oil is recommended on BB.com because well, it helps ensure a "smooth" evacuation and a healthy fat in your diet. Avoid the actual flax seeds as they'd do the same as nuts regarding your other problem. Definitely don't avoid fats in your diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you but it must be said...

All the signs you mentioned I had before dx'd with rectal cancer about your age.

I literally shouldn't be living right now if it wasn't for me arguing with my doctor that my signs weren't to be ignored.. I would strongly advice you go get checked out to make sure.