Hida Scan No Gallbladder found

Options

Replies

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ok sorry to not be so clear on my OP

Had the HIDA scan done, after an hour no trace, after two hours no trace, after three hours no trace of the injected radio active dye. Hence they couldnt find my gallbladder (her words not mine). I have an appointment with a surgeon on Friday to discuss surgery.

I trust my doctor and this surgeon he had removed a tumor off my back last year when no one else would touch it as it never came up on scans.

My question was to find what others have typically done prior to surgery to prep if they have had this surgery done to remove the gallbladder.

Im currently on watch as Im in danger of it bursting and if I have any issues I have to immediatly go to the ER. This is why I asked if there was anything reccomended to others Pre surgery, just in case I want to be prepared. Food wise.

As others have said, that's a question only your doctor can answer. I'm surprised he didn't give you a list of pre- and post-op instructions.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I had surgery a few months ago, I was told a lower sodium diet would help with feeling sick right after waking and also would help the recovery process... I didn't listen because I like my sodium and everything came out fine.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ok so coming here to ask what others were told prior to surgery is a bad thing? wow just wow.

to think I actually thought I could get others experiences to get an idea of what I am in for.

Thank you to those who actually responded kindly.

To those who keep saying talk to your doctor, yeah am doing that Friday (see previous post), wanted to kind of find out other experiences I like to be prepared for things.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ok so coming here to ask what others were told prior to surgery is a bad thing? wow just wow.

to think I actually thought I could get others experiences to get an idea of what I am in for.

To those who keep saying talk to your doctor, yeah am doing that Friday (see previous post), wanted to kind of find out other experiences I like to be prepared for things.

Oh okay then. Before I had my last colonoscopy, my gastroenterologist said to eat nothing but chocolate cream pies the entire week before. He has a real sense of adventure, that guy.

Edited to add: But since you're having gall bladder surgery, and bile is green, then maybe key lime pies would be more appropriate?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I've heard of heartless but never this
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

I have no experience with being told I am missing an organ, but I would get a second opinion.

Ok, internal organ.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's a really simple surgery now. Three small scars on your stomach and chest. They will probably glue you back together. I don't remember any prep for the surgery, but it was my bf who had it done. I think there was no food 12 hours before? That's it. I think the only think after surgery was gentle foods, but no high in fat foods (like fried food). That will change over time, but without the gallbladder to help process fat, it's just easier on you. I think he was back to work two days after surgery. I believe pain was the only problem. Pain killers were oxytocin, which he couldn't drive on. That's it.

If you are in danger of it bursting, I'm not sure why they didn't do the surgery ASAP. It doesn't take a week to prep. Ask a lot of questions on Friday or call early and ask why they are not doing it now in an ER.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i am still confused as to what the surgery is for if you have no gallbladder?

in preparation for surgery, do not eat anything heavy, such as meats, dairy. try to stick to foods that are easy to digest. my husband had to have an emergency gallbladder surgery (to remove it) and he didn't avoid anything because they took him in without warning and he was fine.

**ETA my husband happened to have his surgery on a friday and went back to work monday. (desk job)
    my aunt had her gallbladder rupture and was off her feet for a month after her surgery so it will depend on what surgery you have (my husband's was laproscopic, my aunt had to be cut open) and also what type of work you do.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've heard of heartless but never this
    You've never heard of "guileless?" (okay, slightly different pronunciation, but close enough.)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

OP, no one is being mean. In fact, they're being the opposite. This is a medical issue. Not a fitness or weight loss issue. This is serious stuff and no one wants to give medical advice. We're not doctors and if someone here is, they're not YOUR doctor. We're not equipped to give medical advice. You need to speak to your doctor, who knows your history and your body way better than any of us.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My son had gall bladder surgery in December last year and was up and around the next day. His was almost septic per the doc. If they can go in laprispically it is minimal but of it is bad and they have to operate non laprispically then it is another story. Wishing you the best.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    What?

I mean, I've lost my keys, or my phone... but a gallbladder? How do you misplace that?

It just got fed up and threw its hands up in the air and said eff this Sh1t, I am outta here! and stormed out through the colon.
    :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If anything special needs to be done, diet, etc.
    You Doctor will tell you...if not ask him.
    tumblr_m13nxaNo7R1qhx3ir.gif
    How very Unhelpful.

Guys: the OP is asking for help. She's probably a bit scared (she's posted several threads about her condition). She's probably a bit nervous. Can we lay off the usual adolescent crap?

I'm sure she's not the first to be bewildered by what the docs are saying....
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to make a call to your Physician and explain your feelings and concerns ..don't feel silly...I myself am going through medical things I am able to send my Dr things via the net so it may be easier ..but give them a call and talk to a nurse or someone.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    SMDH at some of you people. The gallbladder is there but they just can't see it due to it being diseased. And to the OP, I suggest you stay away from foods that trigger your pain. Mine was greasy foods and things like popcorn and foods that are considered ruffage.
    My surgery was very easy and little to no pain at all, except for the gas in my chest. I also suggest that you stay in the hospital that first night or have a recliner to sleep in (you will want that for a week or so anyways)(I've suggested the recliner to others who had it and they were very thankful for that little tip). I took no pain meds from the doctors and relied upon Motrin to control what little I did have (only when I laughed or hit the dash board from brakes being slammed while being a passenger in a car). Sleeping flat that first night was horrible and could not turn on my left side, it took my breath away for some reason.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SMDH at some of you people. The gallbladder is there but they just can't see it due to it being diseased. And to the OP, I suggest you stay away from foods that trigger your pain. Mine was greasy foods and things like popcorn and foods that are considered ruffage.
    My surgery was very easy and little to no pain at all, except for the gas in my chest. I also suggest that you stay in the hospital that first night or have a recliner to sleep in (you will want that for a week or so anyways)(I've suggested the recliner to others who had it and they were very thankful for that little tip). I took no pain meds from the doctors and relied upon Motrin to control what little I did have (only when I laughed or hit the dash board from brakes being slammed while being a passenger in a car). Sleeping flat that first night was horrible and could not turn on my left side, it took my breath away for some reason.
    Thanks for posting this.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If anything special needs to be done, diet, etc.
    You Doctor will tell you...if not ask him.
    How very Unhelpful.

Guys: the OP is asking for help. She's probably a bit scared (she's posted several threads about her condition). She's probably a bit nervous. Can we lay off the usual adolescent crap?

I'm sure she's not the first to be bewildered by what the docs are saying....

Especially since she doesn't have her surgeon consultation until Friday. That's when she'll get the info she needs and I'm sure she's stressing at the moment.

OP,

This site gives you a good idea of what to expect for scheduled surgery.

http://www.sages.org/publications/patient-information/patient-information-for-laparoscopic-gallbladder-removal-cholecystectomy-from-sages/
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i had my gallbladder removed first of the year and wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink (not even water) they let me have a gross sponge to wet my lips on. This was overnight and i didn't have surgery til the following evening. so as for prepping, stay calm, don't eat/drink anything and if you have an attack go to the er.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Yes I believe this is what the Op was looking for, someone who had been thru it. NIce Post.