Guilt-Free Chili Cheese Fries (334 calories)

Options
WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
These are the facts of the case, which are undisputed:

1. French fries are delicious.
2. Chili cheese fries are divine.
3. Guilt-free chili cheese fries are…wait a minute…GUILT FREE?! Yep - that’s what I said, friend. These babies are ohhhhh soooo goooooodddddd. :)
4. Chili Cheese Fries for President!

I came across this recipe and immediately jotted down the ingredients on my shopping list. As I was making them, I kept telling myself this – “self, you’re only going to have one serving” – “self, you have total control over these” – “self, don’t freak out”…and so on, and so forth. And then I exercised total self-control by eating one serving.

And then I splurged and ate another. But – with only two servings, and nothing else – it was a 668 calorie dinner. And totally worth it. So good, in fact, that I made no changes to the original recipe and scarfed down both servings before I even had a chance to take a picture (the one below is credited to Skinny Kitchen, as well as the recipe). Enjoy friends! :)

Guilt-Free Chili Cheese Fries (334 calories)

2vlqv6q.jpg

Chili Ingredients:
1 cup onions, chopped
1 (1.25 lb.) package 99% fat free ground turkey breast
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup water
1 (1 oz.) package taco seasoning

French Fries:
12 oz. frozen french fries (try Alexia 98% fat-free frozen fries)
¾ cup (3 oz.) reduced-fat cheddar cheese
¼ cup salsa
¼ cup light ranch dressing or fat-free sour cream for each serving

Instructions:
1. To Make Chili: Cook onions in microwave for 1 minute to soften. In a large, nonstick pan, brown turkey. Stir often and break up turkey into a crumble. Stir in onions, tomatoes, beans, water and taco seasonings. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. You will only use ½ of this chili recipe (3 cups chili) for the 4 servings.
2. To Bake Fries: While chili is cooking, bake the fries. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and coat all over with cooking spray. Spread the frozen fries evenly over the pan. Bake as directed.
3. To Assemble Each Serving: Line each plate with 12-15 baked fries. Pour ¾ cup chili on top of fries. Dollop a little salsa around the top of chili. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cheese. Zap in microwave for 1 minute. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon skinny ranch dressing or fat-free sour cream and serve. Repeat for the 3 other servings.

Tip:
You can freeze the remaining 3 cups of chili, if desired. It can be used to stuff a baked potato, create a taco salad, or enjoy in a bowl topped with chopped tomato, onions and little ranch dressing and salsa.

Nutrition Facts:
Yield: 4 servings
1 serving is ¾ cup chili, 3 oz. fries, 3 tbsp. cheese, dollop of salsa and 1 tbsp. ranch dressing
Calories: 334
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 30 g
Carbs: 39 g
Fiber: 7 g

***NOTE: The chili recipe makes 6 cups total. You’ll only use 3 cups for this chili cheese fries recipe.***

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    WadeLam for president for suggesting chili cheese fries.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was so worried this was going to be a sick joke and the recipe would be some cauliflower knock off chili cheese fries...
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Chili cheese fries! I am now reminded of how often I used to eat these as a teenager at the local little league park. I am now craving them...
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was so worried this was going to be a sick joke and the recipe would be some cauliflower knock off chili cheese fries...
    Never. :)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

I was afraid of that too... PLEASANT SURPRISE. Only thing I would change is I would use full fat cheese and sour cream. Might up the calories a bit, but I'd say it would be worth it.
  • fernlori
    fernlori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Marry me!

(Just kidding, I'm already married.)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Another home run as usual.... Very talented guy.. Shopping list ready to roll.. Thanks so much Wade
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Bump. Looks wonderful.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Me, too! For some reason, I read "Gluten-Free" and thought, "dammit, y'all--potatoes, chili, and cheese ARE gluten free".
  • apaolo39
    Options
    How do you import this into your recipes?
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Tran.gif
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've never managed to have low fat or fat free cheese (heck, even regular cheese) melt well enough to make 'cheese fries'. Is there a trick?
  • mbknoeck
    Options
    one of the first things I am going to try
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Bump
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I was afraid of that too... PLEASANT SURPRISE. Only thing I would change is I would use full fat cheese and sour cream. Might up the calories a bit, but I'd say it would be worth it.
    I'm with you there, I hate the way most reduced fat cheeses taste. I'll take the added calories for better taste!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Omnomnomnoms !