Malformed wrist - need arm exercises

Options
One of my arms has a malformed wrist. While it looks fine outwardly, internally it's all screwed up and I cannot turn my hand palm up, nor can I put excessive weight on it. Are there some suggestions as to how to improve strength in that arm and how to tone my flabby bits without putting pressure on the wrist or making me turn the hand over? I don't want to have one arm that's toned, but the other arm is not.

Replies

• squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No one? :(
  • heavydron
    heavydron Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    To gain a bit of strength I'd try using various cable exercises, most of the time you can control the angle with cables to make it easier for your wrist, mine are pretty inflexible as well. And as for the flab...Caloric deficit and cardiovascular exercise. Neither of those should put strain on your wrist; lifting weights alone wont decrease flab/fat. Hope this was helpful.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To gain a bit of strength I'd try using various cable exercises, most of the time you can control the angle with cables to make it easier for your wrist, mine are pretty inflexible as well. And as for the flab...Caloric deficit and cardiovascular exercise. Neither of those should put strain on your wrist; lifting weights alone wont decrease flab/fat. Hope this was helpful.

I'm already working on the caloric deficit (see my avatar) and am seeing my rheumatologist tomorrow morning to get the last set of all-clears for exercising (I saw my regular doc yesterday) so that'll help with the flab part. I do want to gain strength in that arm, as the other one is so much more fit because I do all the heavy pulling/pushing of patients with it. I'm not familiar with cables exercises. All we have at our little gym are exercise bikes, a treadmill, and a weight bench with free weights.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can see a sport physiotherapist? I bet they'd be able to tailor some good exercises to your particular needs.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree, this one would be best to ask a physical therapist.

I am not totally clear on you limitations. Can you pull with it? Maybe you could use resistance bands? Also there are exercises you could substitute a medicine ball for, like tricep presses. I go to a gym that has those battle ropes and my arms and shoulders burn after doing that, so maybe that would be an option. Also- I wonder if there is any water exercises that could be effective?