Favorite core strengthening exercises?

Options
My biggest, highest priority stregth goal is to build my core. I had three kids who destroyed my core and I need it back. I am not looking to get toned (yet) just stronger! What are your favorite beginning core workouts. Think modifications to the modified version. I am not afraid to push myself and work for it, but I literally can't do most core exercises right now.

Also, how often can I work my core. I know in general you need rest days, but I've seen reference several times to people doing core daily and wonder if I'm missing something!

Replies

• djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ab wheel, hands down. Other than that, planks work well. I only work my core twice a week, but I lift heavy so I work my core when I do squats and deadlifts. Some say not work your core everyday, but if you feel like you're good to go, do it.
  • hack333
    hack333 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am a fan of planks.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Compounds and leg raises, crunches
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like the ab wheel as well.
    Squats are my next favorite.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ab rollouts, hanging leg raises and the one JoRocka won't let me tell you about :p
  • FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    KB SWINGS, SQUATS, DEADLIFTS are the best!!

PLANKS...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    For straight up core strength, planking exercises. I wouldn't say they're my "favorite", because I don't particularly enjoy them. But doing them really helped build up my core strength and improve my stability overall. You can find a bunch of planking variations online. :smile:
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build your core, in my opinion, there is nothing better than Pilate "Breath of Fire". If that is too advanced for you at this point, try this very simple basic core building exercise:

Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Your neck should be long and relaxed on the floor. Your back and neck should be safe. Breathe in for four slow counts breathe out for four slow counts.

Squeeze your buttocks together for four slow counts and release for four slow counts 10 times.

Then squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks flatten your pelvis returning it to the original position for four slow counts and release your buttocks for four slow counts. Do that 10 times.

Then squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts, continuing to squeeze your buttocks and tilt your pelvis lift your pelvis off the floor for four slow counts, Then lower your pelvis for four slow counts, flatten your pelvis for four slow counts and release your buttocks for four slow counts. Do that ten times.

Finally squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts, continuing to squeeze your buttocks and tilt your pelvis lift your pelvis off the floor for four slow counts, then while continuing to squeeze your buttocks, roll your lower body up from the floor while looking at your pelvis for four slow counts. Breathe in 2, 3,4 and out 4 times. Continuing to squeeze your buttocks, lower your upper body back to the floor in 4 slow counts, lower your pelvis in four slow counts, flatten your pelvis in four slow counts and release your buttocks in four slow counts. Do that 10 times.

You can do the above exercise everyday. As long as you remember to squeeze your buttocks, move smoothly and breathe it is perfectly safe and works your core on a very deep level. Once you can do each part easily 10 times increase the amount you do it until you can easily do each exercise 50 times. You will then be ready to do breath of fire, or plank or any other core exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build your core, in my opinion, there is nothing better than Pilate "Breath of Fire". If that is too advanced for you at this point, try this very simple basic core building exercise:

Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Your neck should be long and relaxed on the floor. Your back and neck should be safe. Breathe in for four slow counts breathe out for four slow counts.

Squeeze your buttocks together for four slow counts and release for four slow counts 10 times.

Then squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks flatten your pelvis returning it to the original position for four slow counts and release your buttocks for four slow counts. Do that 10 times.

Then squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts, continuing to squeeze your buttocks and tilt your pelvis lift your pelvis off the floor for four slow counts, Then lower your pelvis for four slow counts, flatten your pelvis for four slow counts and release your buttocks for four slow counts. Do that ten times.

Finally squeeze your buttocks for four slow counts. While continuing to squeeze your buttocks tilt your pelvis for four slow counts, continuing to squeeze your buttocks and tilt your pelvis lift your pelvis off the floor for four slow counts, then while continuing to squeeze your buttocks, roll your lower body up from the floor while looking at your pelvis for four slow counts. Breathe in 2, 3,4 and out 4 times. Continuing to squeeze your buttocks, lower your upper body back to the floor in 4 slow counts, lower your pelvis in four slow counts, flatten your pelvis in four slow counts and release your buttocks in four slow counts. Do that 10 times.

You can do the above exercise everyday. As long as you remember to squeeze your buttocks, move smoothly and breathe it is perfectly safe and works your core on a very deep level. Once you can do each part easily 10 times increase the amount you do it until you can easily do each exercise 50 times. You will then be ready to do breath of fire, or plank or any other core exercise.

Do people still do pilates?!

Anyway, I like the TRX exercises for core. Do I do them often? No.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to push myself and work for it, but I literally can't do most core exercises right now.

Which ones can't you do, and which can you do? I don't want to waste your time or mine listing exercises that you can't do.

Have you tried squats and deadlifts?
  • happymommy321
    happymommy321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to push myself and work for it, but I literally can't do most core exercises right now.

Which ones can't you do, and which can you do? I don't want to waste your time or mine listing exercises that you can't do.

Have you tried squats and deadlifts?

I can do squats and deadlifts, though I honestly didn't know those worked core, so good to know. I can only do planks on forearms and knees for about 10 seconds at a time. Can't do mountain ckimbers, push ups even on knees are a challenge.
  • happymommy321
    happymommy321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I guess it is more specifically my abs that are incredibly weak.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I can only do planks on forearms and knees for about 10 seconds at a time. Can't do mountain ckimbers, push ups even on knees are a challenge.

Sounds more like a weak upper body, and the fact that you're carrying extra weight. I would follow a standard, full-body strength training program (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). I wouldn't worry too much about core-specific exercises yet. Our core functions best when used with the other muscle groups, hence the value of exercises like squats & deadlifts. If you don't feel your core at all on those, the weight you're using is probably too light.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I assume "core" means abdominal muscles. :)

Planking, six inches, crunches and swimming.. It's working for me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I agree that planks are a good starting point.

If you can only do 10 seconds then set a goal of doing 15. Hang in there past 10. Your might start shaking and think you're going to die. Keep hanging on until 15. Once you can learn to deal with the discomfort you can move from 15 to 30 and eventually to a minute.

The mental aspect plays a large role when doing isometric exercises. You're brain says "I can't hold on anymore". You have to fight through that. If you can win that mental battle you'll progress on your holds.