Saggy Skin

Options
Anyone have home remedies they've personally tried and have worked? I heard exfoliating and drinking lots of water will help skin shrink. So far I've noticed my skin is smoother but that's about it. lol

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have heard it just takes time and hopefully age and genetics are on our side. Lifting helps bulk up to fill in so its a little tighter.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    There is only so much you can do. Lift weights and stay hydrated. Skin will heal as much as it can.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for them.. but look into grape seed extract and vitamin C supplements. Both good for the skin and collagen production.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly, lift weights, stay hydrated, work on reducing body fat, give it time.

There's no guaranteed outcome - but the above helped me :flowerforyou:
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    It just really comes down to genetics and how elastic your skin is. I've seen some people lose it slow and steady and they still have skin. Some lose it "fast" such as I did after surgery (even though I don't consider 150lbs in 2 years fast but I digress lol) and have no extra skin. Lifting can add some definition to places that skin isn't that big of an issue but if youre like me and you have what I commonly refer to my bat wings, theres not a lift or exercise in existence that will help. My only remedy is surgery and even then it's not a complete reversal. **shrug** I hate my wings, but Ill take all my extra skin over being 300lbs any day!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Water is good for the skin and the rest of the body. Building muscle will add mass and maybe decrease the Sagginess.

But exfoliating and creams will not work because they cannot work. It's hogwash. Don't spend any money on that stuff.

The loose skin is depressing. I know. :(
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about collagen .. I joke that I waited until my face was falling off to lose weight.. but it is crappy.. to have extra skin.. I read that some insurances cover tummy tucks if the flap is large enough.. hydrate.. and hope is what I am doing right now
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm going to start using the grape seed extract. It's good for a lot of other things other than the skin benefits.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    After close to 18 years of being overweight and at the non-tender age of 46 I honestly had great fears about loose skin. I have always been a heavy a moisturizer and since losing weight I have continued to moisturize front and back (concentrating on the back of my thighs and butt) and I have noticed as time has passed my skin has less sagging. Since I have started strength training I have since seen improvements on my stomach and thighs.

It's honestly a crap shoot! Even with the condition of my skin I wouldn't go back to the weight I was with the smooth big body!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about collagen .. I joke that I waited until my face was falling off to lose weight.. but it is crappy.. to have extra skin.. I read that some insurances cover tummy tucks if the flap is large enough.. hydrate.. and hope is what I am doing right now

Holy crap, lady! If it's any consolation, you do NOT look 58 AT ALL! Congrats on your loss. :smile:
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Holy crap, lady! If it's any consolation, you do NOT look 58 AT ALL! Congrats on your loss. :smile:

i think I'll frame that.. :)
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    okay so once a week I use a sea salt scrub with vitamin e and coconut oil (I made it so their are some extra oils in there too) and after I shower I use Jergens collagen boosting lotion, and a tightening serum on my face and neck. I think it really is helping!! if you have a little more money to spend (20-30 a bottle) theres a company sold at sephora or Ulta, sometimes homegoods if your lucky, called skinny girl or fat girl, they have a whole line of lotions and soaps for cellulite and ect. might be worth checking out!
  • slynn1023
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! =D My doctor did suggest some weight lifting to build up muscle. I've been using a cheap exfoliant (the st.ive's apricot scrub) along with lotion, whether it works or not my skin is really soft! lol.
    I've been over weight my whole life so my skins been stretch for a long time, I know my insurance will cover some "cosmetic" surgeries if I have the gastric bypass (or similar procedure), because it's considered medically necessary... but they may not if I lose it all on own... how's that make sense?!?
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start using the grape seed extract. It's good for a lot of other things other than the skin benefits.

As a supplement or lotion?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it comes down to genetics, and how stretched the skin was. The folds on my stomach will likely never go away, after all, my youngest is 16!! :sad:
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a lot of factors, some areas recover better than others too, but a skin that has lost all elasticity and broke down will most likely not recover. You can tell by the texture of the skin too, if you hold it between your thumb and finger and it feels empty like there's not fat under it then it's probably too late
  • Christine_72
    Options

As a supplement or lotion?

As a supplement. You can buy the capsules at any health food store.
  • manthaftw
    Options
    Aside from strength training and genetics there are plenty of things you can do that are effective in helping whatever skin situation you've been doled out. Skincare isnt a miracle worker so a lot of people down play how effective it can be. There's many factors to effective skincare that people dont consider. I could go on about skincare forever. But, I have gripes with manual exfoliators for skin sagging. Most exfoliants are too abrasive and over time it's just a mess for your skin itself. The theory is that the exfoliation increases blood flow which would assist in increasing collagen production. You're better off using a loofa or exfoliating cloth/gloves in the shower and just being thorough. Lotions that contain peptides, antioxidents and retinol would help increase collagen production too. If you have any questions feel free to message me, I'm a skincare nerd.