IBS and Falling off the wagon, with weight loss.

Options
Hi ,
About 2 years ago, I was fit and healthy. Then after beginning a relationship just started gaining and gaining and you know where this is going! Now for the past 4 months I start a diet and workout plan and something gets me off the wagon! Plus I developed IBS, which has made eating anything a chore. Anyone try to lose weight and struggle with IBS also? I need help , would really like to lose weight and be healthy again :(

Replies

• annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have issues with what the Dr thinks is ibs-c. Still testing it.
    eating fibre/fruit etc made me bloat, but didn't have the desired effect.
    I've switched to eating "white" foods that are in a low fibre residue diet, my bloat has gone and have lost a few lbs sticking to my calorie allowance.
    It does become a chore when you get sick from eating sometimes the healthy stuff doesn't suit.
    Look up fibre menace.
  • sammmmykins
    sammmmykins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is one of those stick to your doctors advice thing rather than talking to people on the internet who may or may not know what their talking about!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This is one of those stick to your doctors advice thing rather than talking to people on the internet who may or may not know what their talking about!
    nope.disagree.you haven't even tried to answer OP's question.

ibs is a varied condition affecting many people differently and even doctors cant agree on causes/ permanent fixes.
    it is trial and error.that is my doctors advice.
    OP is asking for others experiences.
    i have ibs -c, on a treatment plan of
    logging all food
    taking meds. anti- spasmodic and fibogel..prescribed by doctor.
    taking advice. added peppermint oil capsules after food and nightly peppermint tea.
    i am still exercising and losing weight.it is possible.
    good luck OP.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In my experience doctors tend to diagnose IBS when every other avenue has been exhausted. All IBS is, is a collection of symptoms and there is no cure. I have suffered very badly with IBS symptoms on and off for many years, when it got particularly bad a few years ago I was tested, poked and prodded and nothing came back so I was to told just live with it. At that point it didn't matter what I ate, I was ill regardless.

Looking back the main trigger for my severe IBS was stress, I just didn't realise it at the time. I made a lot of changes in my life last year, changed jobs, ended a bad relationship, moved house and just got happy being me again. For the most part my IBS has vanished. Now if I get symptoms it tends to be because I am distressed or anxious and I am trying to get better at paying attention to that.

That is just my own experience. The only thing I would suggest to you is make sure you have been tested for everything else before landing on IBS. If there are stresses in your life, do what you can to make positive changes.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    IBS is one of those things where you've really got to figure out for yourself what effects different foods have on you. It's difficult and tedious and nobody's advice is going to be relevant to how your own body works. I'm sorry :flowerforyou: It's something that's best discussed with your doctor, but even what your doctor says, it may be worth keeping in mind that IBS is just the symptom and the cause is going to be different in everybody.

Personally, I find that higher fat works better than higher fibre, in terms of keeping things straight. Low-fat, high-fibre diets *hurt*! But that's just me.
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    About 3 years ago, at my higest weight, my IBS was at it worst. I was ill with IBS-D every day, was constantly tired and in pain and had no energy. Personally stress is a big trigger for myself, but also looking at what foods I am eating massively helped me take back some control in my body.

Keeping a food diary on here purely to help you identify a few trigger foods might help you see certain foods which may make things worse. It may also help you to choose better options to help you feel better.

When my IBS was worst, my stomach was constantly hurting and overeating large ammounts of tasty food helped make that pain go away a little bit which is why I think I gained so much.

Fast forward a few years, I now mostly symptom free, apart from the odd occasion where I feel it all flare up again which is usually when i am stressed. I pay more attention to what I eat without being strict about it. I still have a takeaway at the weekend and wine, but not three or four times a week like before. I still eat crisps but not 3 or 4 packets in a row!

I also have an active job now which keeps me on my feet for 8-10 hours a day which helps me stay active, and try to go to the gym twice a week to make sure I keep myself accountable.

I think the best thing is trial and error, with food. It may be worth noting that sometimes any food was a trigger for me, it was the fact I was stressed that it didnt matter what I ate and I couldve been ill, but making better choices meant my body was getting more nutrients and getting a more active lifestyle helped me feel much better about myself.

(P.S. My doctor said I probably knew more about IBS than he did! He tried me on a few different pills, none worked and some made it worse. Now I just control it with loperamide if needed.)

Hope this helps, and you only REALLY fall off the wagon if you decide not to get back on again :)
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have Lost nearly 100lbs on a diet that Has greatly reduced my IBS. Add me to friends if you like. Fodmaps is a great starting point but IMO isn't the end all be all of IBS diert. You will have to figure out your triggers on your own through trial and error. I feel better and I do not find the diet boring at all. There is am adjustment period that isn't easy but its temporary. Yoiu get used to the new way of eating. Read into gaps diet and specific carb diet as well.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I have IBS C and after losing 60lbs, it is better but not THAT much better. IBS is individual, unfortunately you'll have to tinker with your diet and find what your triggers are. Be sure to have an adequate fluid intake, though.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    after a colonoscopy and endoscopy I was diagnosed with erosive gastritis, Barrattes Oesophagus. on meds, still nauseas. My ibs got a bit better on FODMAPS diet, but now C not D anymore. It's so individual and trial and error. I wish I could help more!