Deadlifts with limited equipment!

Options
This may sound like a silly question - I woud like to start adding deadlifts to my workouts at the gym.
We have various dumbells, some barbells and a smith rack.
The barbells go up in 2.5kg increments and are on a rack. If I can get the barbells down and put them on the floor in position ready to deadlift, does that mean that I would be wasting my time as it would be too light?!! I could move anything up to 30kg off the rack and onto the floor, but I don't know what kind of weight people generally start deadlifting at.
I know it's different for everyone, but does this sound like a plausible plan?
Thanks x

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, something is always better than nothing. I started deadlifting at 70bs, but I have access to an Olympic bar, and plates. You'll just have to work with whatever you have available to you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your gym only has fixed weight barbells? If so then you're fine to use these to start with, but you'll likely outgrow them pretty quickly. The plates will also be quite small, meaning the bar is too close to the ground, so you may need to stand the barbells on something to raise it up slightly.
  • punkeson
    punkeson Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes you're right, they are only fixed weight barbells and the weights on the end are small cylinder shapes, not big flat round shapes. I hadn't even thought about that - they will be lower to the ground so I would have to stand them on something. I could even try dumbell deadlifts too I suppose.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    yes, it is well said that something is better then nothing, as I started with my 100lbs, what one should have to think is the required things that they have with their, it works a lot if you believe in that.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dumbells can be used for dead lifting as well when you are first starting. If you've never performed deadlifts before, I would start with Romanian deadlifts. This would solve the problem of getting the weights that you have access to at the proper height for lifting them off the floor. When you get stronger, you could ask for help in getting the heavier fixed barbells in the proper position for regular deadlifts, or move on to a gym that has the equipment you really need.