Sardines?

Options
Hi everyone! So I bought some sardines a little while back planning on incorporating them into my diet as they're supposed to be really good for you. However, they are still in my cupboard as I have no idea how to prepare them so they taste good and how to eat them. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• NikkiJanye73
    NikkiJanye73 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat them on cracker bread, just take out the bone in the middle and enjoy

they look horrid but taste great
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Straight out the can!

Alternatively, sardine fishcakes served with rocket and balsamic vinegar, or have them on toasted thin brown bread.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=sardines
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Straight out of the can. Delicious!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    fish cakes,
    in pasta sauce,
    on baked potatoes,
    smashed up with garlic and hot sauce on toast or crackers,

And suprisingly delicious in curry, I promise.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! I guess I was more so worried about the bones lol. Are they easy to remove?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just eat them, some of the big ones you can remove as you see them. But they're pressure cooked in the can when they're produced, which makes the bones sort of dissolve
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I love sardines packed in water. I take out the bone and the nasty in the middle first. Then I can put it on hot rice with onions and lemon. I've put them in pasta sauce. I've eaten them alone with lemon. You can make sardine dip too but I guess you could tweak it with some lower calorie stuff like yogurt. Look for recipes on line.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad and pizza and I eat the bones
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat them with pretzels and stone ground fancy mustard. Straight out of the can, bones and all. Delicious! Makes everyone else in the house cringe, though...
  • pgofford
    pgofford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are my preferred ways of eating them....

-Straight out the can.
    -Mix with Ketchup and spread on toasted bread, before warming them under the grill.
    -Add to Spaghetti with a tomato based sauce with chilli, onions, garlic, black olives and basil. (Had this last night).

And don't worry about the bones, they dissolve in the mouth :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat the bones, lol!!!!
    They are good for you.

I eat them in salad.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Sardine?

7.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Caesar salad and pizza and I eat the bones

um, isn't that an anchovy? I eat anchovy on my ceasar.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the bones get the boneless/skinless ones in olive oil. IMO they're the best and I agree with the others that said eat 'em straight out of the can.

Now I want some. :sad:
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eat the bones! They're soft and they dissolve right in your mouth, and they're a very rich source of calcium! :flowerforyou:
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've always just eaten them out of the can, but there was a similar question not too long ago, and someone recommended putting them on crackers with a little Tabasco sauce. SOOOOOO GOOD!! I also like them mixed in a salad.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I get boneless skinless packed in olive oil and eat them with salt on them. With olives, salad, bread, and wine :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the bones for the calcium.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On toast ...throw some mozzarella cheese on top, and then stick under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

Not for everyone I know, especially if you don't eat bread. However I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh now I want sardines... but I just can't do bones.