Weight loss effecting sleep

Options
Hi, wondering if anyone is experiencing an effect on the sleep patterns from lowering their kcal intake? I'm finding that I am finding getting to sleep alot harder since I have been consistently staying under my kcal goal. Does anyone else find this? Any tips on what to eat and what time to help this?

Replies

• kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No, if anything I sleep better. No more snoring. Exercise makes me tired at the end of the day. I don't wake up a ton anymore.
  • Jreeves9210
    Jreeves9210 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've noticed since I've started making the effort to lose, and I don't know whether it's just subconscious, but the first time my alarm goes off, I'm able to get up almost right away as opposed to going back to sleep without even getting the chance to get up.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi, wondering if anyone is experiencing an effect on the sleep patterns from lowering their kcal intake? I'm finding that I am finding getting to sleep alot harder since I have been consistently staying under my kcal goal. Does anyone else find this? Any tips on what to eat and what time to help this?

If you are having trouble falling asleep because you are hungry, try either moving your final meal later in the day or saving some kcals for a before-bed snack. You may need to figure out the timings (and the food, depending on how your body reacts to specific things) with some trial and error. I generally have something about 1/2 hour before bed because I find it easier to sleep on a full stomach, and it's usually something on the sweeter side of the scale. Other people can't do this and need to stop eating earlier or have something less sweet.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry when you go to bed? I know if I'm hungry I can't sleep. Try a glass of skim or 1% milk a little before bed. I find it satiates my hunger and helps me sleep. When are you exercising? Try to exercise at least 2 hours before bed. Or maybe you need to exercise more. Take that lovely horse out and ride him more. Ride him for me too! I miss riding!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I find I toss and turn and have restless sleep when I am hitting too low on calorie intake or if I am particularly heavy on exercise for a week or so, it can be a sign of over training or lack of certain nutrients. When this happens I more consciously try hitting still below but closer to my allotted calories and I try to have a small snack mostly consisting of carbs close to bed time, its seemed to help. Once in a while if I am having a ton of trouble sleeping well but always feel tired I tone it down on the exercise for a week as well, lower weights and cut cardio in half.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes since by habit I usually ate well before bed and the feeling of being full would help me sleep. I find going to sleep still hungry, to any degree difficult.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    A better diet and a some exercise always help me to sleep better and go to sleep more easily. Weigh loss has also helped me sleep better through the night since I'm not snoring as much now (Much to my wife's relief!). ~Scott