SODIUM

Options
Morning. What is sodium, and what affect does it have in our bodies. It's been niggling on my mind since I joined!!!

Replies

• LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sodium = salt
    We need some salt, but too much can raise blood pressure, also cause water retention, etc etc
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Well then.
  • joemasserini
    joemasserini Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Keeping sodium down at acceptable levels has actually been my toughest challenge. I didn't realize how much sodium was added to ordinary foods (or what I THOUGHT were ordinary foods) and it really adds up quickly. I'm a salt-craver so it doesn't help when the foods I think are low(ish) on sodium are contributing to the bulk of my intake. Any suggestions, anyone?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    There's enough sodium naturally occurring in the foods you eat that you don't need to add it. It's a good idea to buy no-salt-added foods when buying canned foods, etc. Chicken broth and other foods like that also a good idea to buy lower sodium.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sodium = salt
    We need some salt, but too much can raise blood pressure, also cause water retention, etc etc

The problem is that salt enhances taste.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sodium = salt

Only if you know absolutely nothing about the billion other seasonings available to all mankind.
  • joemasserini
    joemasserini Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know I don't "need" to add it...but it's sooooo gooooood lol
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Sodium = salt

Only if you know absolutely nothing about the billion other seasonings available to all mankind.

I agree with McCindy!! :flowerforyou: Salt is the lazy man's seasoning.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Sodium = salt

salt's historic contribution to food safety worldwide also cannot be underestimated.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    15e1_sodium_batman.png
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been using Dash seasonings to add when i cook my meals. No salt and different flavors. Just to Keep the sodium down.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    sodium increases water retention ->water retention increases muscle pump -> muscle pump leads to gains -> sodium is good
  • exelbyplumpton
    exelbyplumpton Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    O. K. I should. Of looked. In dictionary. I just. Thought. I. Asked why looking. At the forum :embarassed: