Whats better for breakfast?

Options
- 2 poached eggs on 2 pcs of multigrain bread with a bit of butter
- 70 grams of porridge (rolled oats) with half milk and half water
- large smoothie containing 1 orange, 1 banana, 30 grams pineapple and a handful of baby spinach

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    They are all good breakfasts!

Depends if you mean calorie wise??

I do love porridge, but your having it plain - I have mine with just hot water, then I add crunchy peanut butter into it - Try it!!!

Mmmm!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no better.. your whole day is what matter.
  • fungry_04
    fungry_04 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I do love porridge, but your having it plain - I have mine with just hot water, then I add crunchy peanut butter into it - Try it!!!

Mmmm!

Calorie and good for my body :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Mmmm!

Depends on what your entire day consists of. .. whether or not those things are a good choice or not. Overall diet determines health, not individual foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Mmmm!

Calorie wise, I think they are all the same.... good for your body, each breakfast has it's benefits (protein/carbs/fats, vitamins/minerals) but again, you would need to look how your whole diet looks. What are your protein and fat levels. What exercise do you do?

What you could do is just cycle those breakfasted based on your mood and planned food for the day.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    They are all fine if they fit your goals. The smoothie seems low on protein/fat which can both keep you feeling full longer. Also the porridge I'd probably drop to 40g and add a nut butter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How tall/heavy are you? What are your goals? What else do you eat in a day? Do you have any medical concerns that could be affected by your diet?

They all sound delicious, choose the one you like best, or rotate them!
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    All you are taking is good breakfast and also healthy. You have no need to change your breakfast, if you want some new suggestion then you can take oats, fruit juice, vegetable soup and a glass of milk etc. Which is very beneficial for your health.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

- large smoothie containing 1 orange, 1 banana, 30 grams pineapple and a handful of baby spinach

I wouldn't like to drink my calories. Chewing and texture of food are fun !
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I just ate a roast beef bagel loaded up with peppers, onions, and mushrooms. It was delicious. Left over from dinner and logged into my day.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I like that #1 includes protein and not just carbs.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I alternate my breakfasts, but milk/eggs is a source of protein, and would definitely be in. I aim to get 70-100g of protein a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Whatever fits in your calories. I can tell you that the smoothie would leave me starving after one hour because of lack of whole grains, protein and fat though. But we're all different.

Personally I'd go with the porridge but would drop down to 40g dry and add some nut butter as well... most filling breakfast I know.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    It depends on your overall calories for the day.

However if you are looking to stay satisfied up until lunch, I would suggest a protein rich breakfast.

It helps for me anyway. If I don't eat some sort of fat or protein with breakfast I'm hungry again 2 hours later.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The first one, 'cause I love eggs but make them over-easy cooked in kerrygold butter please.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

What are you trying to accomplish? All three of these could vary greatly calorie-wise depending on specific ingredients. If you are looking to get lower calorie alternatives then swap out poached eggs for egg whites and go with light multigrain or light whole wheat... Then swap out the butter for a lighter alternative...

Calories are the key here... Depends on how low you wanna go...

Mark
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would have the eggs and toast because I love eggs. They are all healthy breakfasts. The smoothie is the lowest on protein probably.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    #1 seems a better carb to protein ratio, but they can all work depending on how the rest of your day goes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The first choice would be better IMO.
  • thelegendofemmy
    Options
    i would have the poached eggs! it would maybe be higher cal, but as long as it didn't make you go over your daily intake later, i'd go for it.