If you're under your calorie allowance

Options
Should you then eat more to make up for it or is this okay? I mean it sounds like a silly question.

Also is there a way to log cholesterol?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    I would say it depends on a couple of things 1) how much under 2) what is your allowance 3) how much do you have to lose.

Also, to track your cholesterol, go to "Food" then "Settings" and you can set what you track.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think being under your calorie goal is okay....IF it is reasonable. I have read that women should not eat below 1200 calories in a day, because 1200 calories are necessary for your body to function properly. So, if you calorie goal is 1500 and you eat 1400....I would think that is okay (I may be wrong)....and I also would think that "using" those extra 100 calories the next day or so wouldn't be a terrible thing. I have read that it is good to have a random "high" calorie day to help keep your metabolism functioning at it's best. Again, I'm not an expert....have just done a lot of reading and research through various sites to gether this information.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    If you're under consistently by a lot, that could lead to problems (the whole "starvation" mode thing).

If you're under by a little, that should be ok.

If you're under because you earned exercise calories, make sure to eat some of them back or you'll be too low. I usually try for 50-70% of them.

(not the word of God...just the word of me :wink: )
  • Mashisha
    Options
    If calories in= calories out in theory you will not gain or lose weight...there should be a gap, but at the same time you do not want to starve yourself because if that calorie gap is too big you will gain weight (weird huh) your body will store everything you eat because it feels starved...I shoot to be 200-400 calories below my Goal for the day..but I do not push it....if I am hungry..I'll eat them...but if not..I'm not going to force myself to eat when I am not hungry
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    If calories in= calories out in theory you will not gain or lose weight...there should be a gap, but at the same time you do not want to starve yourself because if that calorie gap is too big you will gain weight (weird huh) your body will store everything you eat because it feels starved...I shoot to be 200-400 calories below my Goal for the day..but I do not push it....if I am hungry..I'll eat them...but if not..I'm not going to force myself to eat when I am not hungry

Before you try to build a gap in, keep in mind that unless you've set MFP for maintenance, then you already have a calorie gap between burned and eaten, so you do not need to supplement with additional deficit.

And a previous poster is correct, 1200 is woman's minimum.
  • tatwood106
    Options
    The daily calorie goals are set to allow for weight loss if you remain within the goal, as long as you are not too far under it's generally okay. You should avoid going below your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate), this is what it takes your body just to run itself. There is a tool to calculate your BMR under the Tools tab. There are also some great article in the message boards under: General Diet and Weight Loss Help - Look for the Newbies one.

Good Luck!!
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I think being under your calorie goal is okay....IF it is reasonable. I have read that women should not eat below 1200 calories in a day, because 1200 calories are necessary for your body to function properly. So, if you calorie goal is 1500 and you eat 1400....I would think that is okay (I may be wrong)....and I also would think that "using" those extra 100 calories the next day or so wouldn't be a terrible thing. I have read that it is good to have a random "high" calorie day to help keep your metabolism functioning at it's best. Again, I'm not an expert....have just done a lot of reading and research through various sites to gether this information.

The last couple of days I have been under by a good hundred (yesterday was pretty bad) and one of the days I was under by enough I worked out and was under even more. My goal is 1200 and I have 1020 left to eat....it's already dinner time. So I don't want to work out. Maybe I should up my calories?

Thanks for the input!
  • KadieA
    Options
    The daily calorie goals are set to allow for weight loss if you remain within the goal, as long as you are not too far under it's generally okay. You should avoid going below your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate), this is what it takes your body just to run itself. There is a tool to calculate your BMR under the Tools tab. There are also some great article in the message boards under: General Diet and Weight Loss Help - Look for the Newbies one.

Good Luck!!
    Thank you! I'll look into the articles :)
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. (I went to a nutritionist and was told that I don't eat enough and my body is in starvation mode!) By dinner I have nearly (or over) 1000 calories left to eat. I don't want to stop working out, but I also don't want to gorge myself on dinner and dessert. I often find that while I am way under in calories (300+) I am at or over in sugar. I haven't been able to find a good source of calories and carbs with low sugar (except popcorn or crackers...). I am open for suggestions.
  • katcena
    Options

The last couple of days I have been under by a good hundred (yesterday was pretty bad) and one of the days I was under by enough I worked out and was under even more. My goal is 1200 and I have 1020 left to eat....it's already dinner time. So I don't want to work out. Maybe I should up my calories?

Thanks for the input!

Wow! 1000 calories is A LOT to be under! I think your problem is really starting at the beginning of your day.....if you plan to exercise that day, keep that in mind when you get up in the morning. For example, today I plan to go to a 1 hour Zumba Class where I typically burn 500-600 calories. So, before I get to that class (at 4:30pm) I MAKE myself eat at least 2/3rd of my days calories....which is about 1000 calories....sometime even more. Here's why..... if you don't have enough fuel in your body and you then exercise....you are doing more harm than good. Instead of burning the calories you have eaten that day...or fat...your body will resort to using your muscles for food....that is bad for you weight loss goals because you need more lean muscle to burn the fat. More muscle=high metabolism=higher fat burning machine! Then, within an hour after you exercise, you should eat a good lean protein meal. I take a Special K protein shake with me, or low-fat flavored milk. Plus, I love having chocolate milk after a workout, it tastes SO good and it's a great source of protein. That helps to put a good dent in the rest of the calories I need to take in the rest of the day. Plus, it helps me from feeling ravenous after my workout so I don't destroy my hard work with a pizza! lol Throw in a good dinner and possible evening snack of fruit or yogurt if I am still feeling hungry and I've met just under my calories for the day.
    Again, I am no expert....just have been doing a lot of reading. There are some great articles and email lists to get on from various sites like Livestrong, and JIllian Michaels, and Everyday Health. I read them all since I am still learning....but I am very happy with the results I am getting from them!
  • katcena
    Options
    I am in the same situation. (I went to a nutritionist and was told that I don't eat enough and my body is in starvation mode!) By dinner I have nearly (or over) 1000 calories left to eat. I don't want to stop working out, but I also don't want to gorge myself on dinner and dessert. I often find that while I am way under in calories (300+) I am at or over in sugar. I haven't been able to find a good source of calories and carbs with low sugar (except popcorn or crackers...). I am open for suggestions.

NUTS! I have found Almonds, trail mixes, etc to be very helpful in this category. I carry around the 100 calorie packages of Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds....they are soooo good! And if you have a sweet tooth they will help you out without really high sugar contect. And, milk, flavored low-fat or fat-free milk if you don't like milk, can be a big help. Has the carbs and the right protein for building your muscles. Plus, calcium which women really need!
  • katcena
    Options
    Oh,and don't forget walnuts....very good for you!
  • katcena
    Options
    I think one of the hardest things for me to realize over this past month is that I actually have to EAT in order to lose weight. It doesn't seem like that should be the way it works....but if I skip a meal it will slow my metabolism. I carry a "Bag" around with me in my car....it is full of healthy snacks....nuts, granola bars, protein bars, etc. and I reach for those whenever I feel hungry.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    while I was in my losing phase, I ate every calorie MFP gave me to eat. I ate every 2 hours to make sure I got them all in. I planned my day of eating the day before to make sure I got them all in. I had to eat to lose. And I lost those last 20lbs, when you are in the healthy range already, eating all your calories becomes even more important to your weight loss. Check out this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • KadieA
    Options
    I would say it depends on a couple of things 1) how much under 2) what is your allowance 3) how much do you have to lose.

Also, to track your cholesterol, go to "Food" then "Settings" and you can set what you track.

Thanks! My mom has high cholesterol and I got my blood tested twice and high slightly elevated levels so I want to monitor that as well.
    Today Im 800+ under, yesterday 800+, day before over 1k :(
    My allowance is 1200 (which I think I should up but the program did the math for me?)
    And I want to lose at least 15lbs
  • KadieA
    Options
    If you're under consistently by a lot, that could lead to problems (the whole "starvation" mode thing).

If you're under by a little, that should be ok.

If you're under because you earned exercise calories, make sure to eat some of them back or you'll be too low. I usually try for 50-70% of them.

(not the word of God...just the word of me :wink: )

lol not the word of God :)

I'm too worried to work out because I know it'll put me much under in calories. I walk a lot where I work and I don't even factor that into my exercises.
  • KadieA
    Options

That's the thing Im worried about is having to eat more to make it. I get home late as it is and I don't want to have to eat a loaded meal before going to bed.
  • KadieA
    Options
    while I was in my losing phase, I ate every calorie MFP gave me to eat. I ate every 2 hours to make sure I got them all in. I planned my day of eating the day before to make sure I got them all in. I had to eat to lose. And I lost those last 20lbs, when you are in the healthy range already, eating all your calories becomes even more important to your weight loss. Check out this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.

That's a great idea eating every two hours. I work in a very fast paced place so do you have any suggestions for snacky foods? Im afraid I've started to resort to junky foods. I used to keep apple slices for when I'd get i a snacky mood.
  • KadieA
    Options
    I think one of the hardest things for me to realize over this past month is that I actually have to EAT in order to lose weight. It doesn't seem like that should be the way it works....but if I skip a meal it will slow my metabolism. I carry a "Bag" around with me in my car....it is full of healthy snacks....nuts, granola bars, protein bars, etc. and I reach for those whenever I feel hungry.

I need a "bag" like yours!