Independent

Options
Anyone else prefer to exercise and do this completely independently (besides seeking advice). Like when I'm at the gym, I find it annoying to have a partner. I love that its only me. Only I can lift this weight, because nobody is gonna do it for me, I don't want/need anybody cheering me on. And when I'm out running it's just me and the road. I like the liberating independence I feel when exercising but some friends are always wanting to work out together...and I used to enjoy it..but now I prefer to be by myself. Wondering if anyone else is the same out of curiosity

Replies

• jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. More freedom to do it your way.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love independent for lifting and group classes for cardio LOL
  • lindey_lu79
    lindey_lu79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to be on my own at the gym. When I'm out walking or biking, tho, I prefer to have friends...
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do. Because I'm forever alone anyway.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Love walking by myself, such good thinking time and don't have to worry whether I am going too fast or slow for someone else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Anyone else prefer to exercise and do this completely independently (besides seeking advice). Like when I'm at the gym, I find it annoying to have a partner. I love that its only me. Only I can lift this weight, because nobody is gonna do it for me, I don't want/need anybody cheering me on. And when I'm out running it's just me and the road. I like the liberating independence I feel when exercising but some friends are always wanting to work out together...and I used to enjoy it..but now I prefer to be by myself. Wondering if anyone else is the same out of curiosity
    I've weight trained alone (rare I train with anyone else or them with me) for the last 20 years. I do better when I can just focus on myself which is probably I do well as a group trainer because the workout I instruct isn't the one I do on my own. I instruct and then go around each member and make adjustments to form or movement if necessary.
    But training alone hasn't hampered me nor held me back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    I workout alone as well...I don't have time to focus on someone else's workout and don't really want to be slowed down during mine. Once in a great while I will run with someone but I normally do that alone as well.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I prefer training alone now that I do strength and conditioning. I've done group training before and when it's more circuit focused workouts, I enjoy having others there. I have entertained the thought of small group training with a coach, 2-3 people per coach and running similar programs. Mostly because this is cheaper than one on one coaching and it's nice being around people with similar training goals. Easy way to make friends. I've found that sometimes that's hard to do in a normal weight room setting though.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I first got my dog (9 years ago) I used to always be trying to make someone come walk with me. Now, I find that I enjoy walking him alone best. It's my "me" time; I can think my thoughts or plan my day or decompress or vent and fume -- basically, I can spend the time thinking about whatever I like.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes! the only time I really even want to socialize is if I'm asking someone to spot me and I feel like if I'm with friends and they don't push themselves as hard as I do I just get annoyed. I get a high from the independence and freedom knowing I have to do this completely on my own. and other people are all like...'I need a workout buddy'..lol
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I have done both...
    ANd have been working out solo for the longest time now.....
    And with my time constraints....solo is good.

But some times I wish I did have a partner, cause I want to go heavier, so having a spot would be nice.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to work out on my own. I don't really want to feel obligated to anyone else's time restraints or needs while I am in the gym. I just want to get in, do my thing and get out. I am pretty giving and kind in most other areas of my life. Gym time is me time.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out on my own, that's why I do it at home. Walks or whatever with friends or the family is nice, but I don't consider that a work out.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to work out on my own. I don't really want to feel obligated to anyone else's time restraints or needs while I am in the gym. I just want to get in, do my thing and get out. I am pretty giving and kind in most other areas of my life. Gym time is me time.

exactly! it's my time to better myself and lose myself in a challenge
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with my hubby but we do independent workouts. It's nice having him there, but we're not chatty. I don't want to have to smile or talk/listen to anyone while I'm working out. I will invite friends to work out with me (I can bring guests to the gym for no cost) but I don't entertain them or talk to them - probably why they don't come back often lol.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If I'm walking, I like to have someone with me to talk to. If I'm doing my more intense workouts at home, I like to be by myself. I don't want distractions or feeling self-conscious. If someone comes in and talks to me, I lose my rhythm and focus, and then I get irritated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to think I needed someone to lift with- it was the thing we did (well need is a strong word- I would go on my regardless- but I put a lot more effort into finding someone else to lift with back then)

Now I really dislike it- I don't mostly because it takes so much more time- and it's so hard to find someone who lifts in the same vibe/grove as you- speed- intensity- programing- like If I'm doing higher volume with a lower percentage of weights- and you're doing lower volume heavy weights- it's never going to work- it's just a head ache. .

So mostly alone- I socialize with the guys that are there- and I don't mind flip flopping/working in if it is conducive to both of us- but I am not going to go to the gym to work out with someone.
    If someone wants to work out- I have to schedule time- and make it more like a training session than a lifting session. Because I'll never get anything lifted.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what I'm doing. I usually prefer to workout alone...heck, even at tri practice when there are 200 other people there, I'm still basically working out alone, since you don't usually swim, bike or run *with* someone else...there's just other people there at the same time as you.

However, I ALWAYS swim with a buddy when I am doing an open water swim - it's not safe, otherwise.

I also prefer to ride with at least one other person when I'm going to be out for over an hour. 90 minute plus solo rides require loops (so I'm not TOO far from my house/car in case something happens)...and tend to get boring. I'd much rather have company for those, because we can ride farther and in new areas (again, buddy system for safety here)....and it keeps things from getting boring.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run and workout solo, nothing against my friends but I just find working out with someone else distracting and I like being able to focus on my own goals. Except for when it's a group fitness or yoga class..then I'm all for working out with others. I am considering joining some type of run club though so I can meet other runners, but I'd still be doing most of my runs alone.