Does healthy eating mean completely avoiding junk food?

Options
2»

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    not for this girl. There are times I have (choose) to restrict myself (prepping for a competition or photo shoot, so the rest of the time, I live by moderation on occasion. Life is too short to be unhappy.
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I could never give up sweets/junk food. Since this journey is about a lifestyle change, I am just finding ways to work them into my lifestyle. I usually use my exercise calories for my "indulgences", so there's more motivation to exercise!
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As cliché as it sounds, this is what differentiates a diet (short-term by design, destined to fail long-term) from a lifestyle change (something intended to be permanent). Eating things you enjoy, in moderation, is key. I still eat pizza on weekends, go out for a beer with my friends, etc., and I have no problems with the progress I'm making.
  • abqmike
    Options
    I think attitude and a little thought is extremely important. I do not like the words:diet, cheat meals, and rules. I am working changes in my eating habits that will last the rest of my life. It is important to know why you are doing what you do. It is important to make decisions on what we eat and why. I don't deny myself fast food. I choose to consume another food that fits my goals. Do I miss french fries... sometimes. Do I choose to eat french fries... occasionally.

Life is all about decisions. Some decisions have immediate consequences and some decisions take awhile to manifest. I am an EMT, I spend my nights helping people survive the consequences of their decisions.

Some decisions are good and some are not so good. So... make a decision of what you eat, when you eat it, and how much you eat. Know why you made the decision and live with it, enjoy it, and embrace it.
  • NikkiJanye73
    NikkiJanye73 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can't waste my calories on junk food and I cant live with the guilt of eating it either.( But dont worry about the guilt, I'm used to it I'm catholic)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw it out there: Nutella is one of the least healthy foods you can eat.

Eh no. Hazelnut butter, sure. Nutella is packed full of sugar. It doesn't mean it's not delicious... just that it doesn't exactly go in the 'healthy' category.

OP, as long as you eat nutritious food for most of your calories, eating 200-300 calories worth of junk is totally fine. I do it too, just a bit less lately as I'm too hungry if I spend too many calories on it - or I go for more filling 'junk' like ice cream.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would say that 90 to 95% avoidance of junk food is sufficient to call yourself a healthy eater. No need for absolutes in life. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do you judge your career by one negative decision?
    Do you judge how good you were in HS based off of one bad test score?
    Do you judge your wardrobe by the one ugly shirt in the drawer that is so comfortable that you won't throw it out, but you won't let anyone see you wear it either?

Your diet is the same thing.
  • christashay
    christashay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It was just said, "unless there is a control issue". That is me. I have serious control issues. For me, I just want to get to that point where healthy food choices are the norm. I'm a work in progress, but I think it can be done. I don't want to just learn how to cheat better. My mind knows crap is crap no matter how small you whittle down the portion size. Now if I can get my heart to agree...hmmm. So for now, if it's a desperate need- a cookie, candy, whatever- it has to be done away from the house. I will not keep it in my home.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Try trading in nasty Kit Kats for a piece of high quality dark chocolate, and you can definitely count it as health food!

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate/

Personally, I leave room every day for some chocolate. No sense in being miserable, and 'treating' myself in this way helps keep me on track.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My Hubby went from eating junk all day to making better choices. I have never been a chip person but I like pita chips. I also eat popcorn almost everyday. I will give something else but I am going to have my popcorn and I refuse to eat it when It taste like dust. This is me. :wink:
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Pfft. I eat well practically all the time. Yesterday, I was craving junk food. So I had it. A fish sandwich & fries. It tasted great. Will I do it again anytime soon? Nope. And I don't feel guilty about it at all. I was still well under my calories for the day. So no biggie.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Everything in moderation.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Can I consider myself a healthy eater if I eat occasional bits of junk food? It's rarely over 250 calories a time, unless I'm at a special occasion.

You can eat nothing but twinkles and consider yourself a healthy eater if you choose. Truth be told, nobody really cares what you choose to label yourself.

More importantly then the label you give yourself. How does it make it feel ?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can I consider myself a healthy eater if I eat occasional bits of junk food? It's rarely over 250 calories a time, unless I'm at a special occasion.

I do, so sure, why not?

To elaborate, I think eating healthy is about what you do eat, not what you don't, and about the overall diet, not one tiny portion of it. It's far more healthy to eat a balanced diet with adequate protein, fruits and vegetables, and a macro mix that makes you feel good and serves your particular goals, as well as one that meets your micronutrient needs than simply to not eat whatever the food is that some have demonized (whether processed items or "added sugar" or grains, etc.).
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    why do you need to label yourself a healthy eater? eat whatever you want. :smile:
    you dont' owe anyone an explanation. if you are happy with your calories, etc. then it's fine.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Three words:

Macros
    Micros
    Moderation
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love things that taste good to me, and I don't care what you call them. As long as I get the right amount of calories, macros and micros, I feel fine, and I think that equates to being healthy. :bigsmile: