HALLOWEEN COSTUME IDEAS. IMPORTANT.

Options
ekg0328
ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
Every year, I freak out about halloween costumes, get stuck on one idea, and lose track of time. So I make a robot costume out of boxes. Which is awesome, obviously, but it's not happening this year.

Ideas! Please!

Replies

• JT_Taylor99
    Options
    Zombies are in style
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The Hubs and I did Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein one year. So fun!

Easy other idea - Black turtleneck, black skirt, black tights, black boots, cat ear headband + catlike makeup.

Dress like a celebrity that is distinctive - I got a beehive wig one year, some temporary tattoos and mega-eyeliner dressed like Amy Winehouse (RIP...this was before she passed away...)

Have fun! I LOVE Halloween!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You can dress like that woman who claimed to have 3 breasts
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    some ideals i gave my boys. 8 and under

Greaser ( guy from Grease)
    punk rocker
    minion
    Mechanic
    bob the builder
    train conductor
    Leg Lamp ( been trying to convince the 8 year old to use the dog E- collar for this.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can't do the zombie thing - I'm a huge wuss. BUT!

I was a Leg Lamp once, Tab, it was the best. New city, maybe I should recycle that one.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Go as Madonna, shes scary.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be Black Widow on the Avengers this year but can't because Daughter's getting Married the next morning and we have the Rehearsal Dinner on Halloween. So I think you should take my idea and run with it! You'd be Gorgeous! :bigsmile: half price $40 http://www.costumecraze.com/AVNG02.html

black-widow%20%284%29.jpg
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    wear a leather jump suit and you could be either black widow or throw a different colored wig on and you're an alien (just add some makeup too)
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be Black Widow on the Avengers this year but can't because Daughter's getting Married the next morning and we have the Rehearsal Dinner on Halloween. So I think you should take my idea and run with it! Youd be Gorgeous! :bigsmile:

black-widow%20%284%29.jpg

you read my mind!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    One year I took a 30 gallon trash bag, cut out a hole for the head, put a giant "T" on the front that I had cut out of poster paper, and used yarn and another piece of the poster paper to write "Tetley" and attached it to the top.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For some ideas, my last few costumes have been:

An American Gladiator
    The Queen of Hearts
    Madonna (Like a Virgin version)
    Flo from Progessive Insurance
    Jessica Rabbit

This year I'm planning to be a zombie Marilyn Monroe. I love Halloween!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Easy other idea - Black turtleneck, black skirt, black tights, black boots, cat ear headband + catlike makeup.

Dress like a celebrity that is distinctive - I got a beehive wig one year, some temporary tattoos and mega-eyeliner dressed like Amy Winehouse (RIP...this was before she passed away...)

I like these ideas. Especially the distinctive celeb one. I won a costume contest years ago when the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal was big, by going as Monica and a friend was Bill. A party at my house several years ago voted the best costume friends who came as Jon & Kate Plus 8 with a bunch of dolls in tow, lol. They had the advantage of already truly looking like reality TV's Jon & Kate.

I am a big Amy Winehouse fan :-( and when I did that costume in '09 it was probably the most complimented Hallowen costume I've ever done! Even though I was like 3X her size it was a really good costume tbh. An artist friend even helped me with realistic tattoos.

A couple more inexpensive ideas I've done and liked...

Retro Cigarette Girl - get a shallow box and paint/decorate it to look old, you could put candy cigarettess, real cigs (which I did even though I'm a nonsmoker, I had access to old looking brands like Pall Mall etc) or other treats in the box...attach a length of heavy canvas or satin to go around your neck (takes a bit of trial and error to get it at the right level to hold the box steady), just wear dramatic makeup and a simple dress with tights or fishnets. You could do some kind of jaunty hat with it too. I opted for a curly ostrich feather headband from etsy.

Rosie the Riveter - although this seems to be a really common one now, it wasn't as much when I did it in '06. All you really need is a red polka dot scarf/bandana and a denim shirt w/ sleeves rolled, and you can doll it up as much as you like.

Hippie - sort of a cop-out costume, but leather, tie dye, and bell bottoms go a long way. Bonus is comfort.

80's Chick - again, a bit of a cop-out but you can get really creative with it. My legwarmers and Wham! album earrings were a hit last time I did this ;-)
  • CoolestNecessity
    Options
    Last year I was "Life meets Death"... I painted half of my face as a sugar skull from Dia de los Muertos, and carried a bunch of silk roses and wore a black dress. I had heavy makeup (dark red lips, played up eyes) to look more... alive I suppose. lol It looked AWESOME! One of the girls at work couldn't even look at me cause it freaked her out too much!

This year I'm going to be Elphaba from Wicked. I'm wearing the same black dress as last year, and got a black wig. I'm going to paint my face, neck, chest, arms, and hands green, and I got green striped knee socks to wear so I don't have to paint my legs. Throw on an adorable witch hat headband I found at Michaels, and voila!

One year when I was in high school I was a Christmas Tree for Halloween! Green turtleneck, homemade green hoop skirt, lots of sparkly garland and ornaments hot glued to the skirt and turtleneck, and a star painted on my face. It was really funny :)
  • CathieRochester
    Options
    Take a Black Trash Bag, cut out for your head and arms, use white duct tape down the middle in dash form. Go as a divided highway!!!
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Could do Amy Winehouse as a zombie!
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I say Leeloo from 5th element

http://i.giphy.com/BTe6OassV0iDS.gif

so apparently I don't know how to post gifs, but Leeloo is the character played by Mila.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I went as Alice in Wonderland last year.. was thinking about being Marilyn this year..
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My sisiter who looks EXACTLY like me (we are not twins) usually go as the same thing every year to confuse people. This year we are going as minions! I'm pretty excited about it. Plus we make our costumes. It's half the fun
  • LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One year, I dressed up like a salt shaker, and my husband dressed up like a battery. We were Assault & Battery.

Another year, I dressed up as the Golden Snitch from Harry Potter.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be a zombie. I mean, much of those same materials can be re-purposed as "Ebola Patient."

Seriously, how lazy do you want to be? I've bought T-shirts and hoodies and used those as my starting place for a costume. (see my current picture). Ghostbuster shirt + khakis + random water gun and a backpack. Also Superman T shirt + red (reebok) shorts + blue jeans + red towel tied around my neck. If you have some outstanding T-shirts, you can make it work.

Where I'm at, Halloween tends to be pretty cold so I'm pretty fond of incorporating a beardo beanie into my costumes.
    http://www.beardowear.com/collections/beardhat

Last year, I bought a viking beardo and made myself a pole-arm axe out of cardboard. It went well.

btw, Cardboard boxes CAN be awesome:
    kids04.jpg