Should I up my calories?

Options
Sorry this is going to be kind of long cause I feel like I should give some backstory.

So from July to January 2013 I lost about 60lbs. This was mostly through restricting my diet to about 1200 calories a day. I was working out maybe (and I emphasize, maybe) once a week doing cardio. There was like a month where I was working out every other day but I didn’t really change my diet much, most of the times after workouts I would add 200 or so calories to my day.

I fell off the bandwagon for about 6 months and gained 10lbs, but I’m back on and eating around 1300 calories a day and suspect I’ve lost around 7 of those 10, but I don’t have a scale so I can’t know for sure.

Ok so here is my question, I’ve started running (doing Couch to 5k). I’m wondering if I should increase my calorie intake because I am working out more, also because I have less to lose this time. I’m looking to loose around 45lbs, hopefully by graduation in May. I just don't want to do this in an unhealthy way and put too much strain on my body.

Here are my stats:
Height: 5'2 CW: 180ish GW: 135

Thanks! Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would suggest on the days you work out, to eat back half-75% of your exercise calories (if you must, estimate on the lower side of calories burned so you don't overeat). On the days you don't work out, keep it your normal calorie intake.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using TDEE - 20% for your calories.
    You can find your TDEE here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Then take your TDEE and multiply it by .80 to find your calories. In these circumstances, they recommend you don't eat additional calories back on exercise days because your burns are averaged out for the week.