I found out I have type 2 diabetes and I feel terrible

Options
I feel like all that working out was for nothing :( I do all that working out I work out for a minimum of 1 hour everyday of the week sometimes more. I thought my health was going good well that is until I was at work yesterday morning and my phone rang it was the doctors office and they had bad news. My blood work came back and I have type 2 diabetes. My confidence and self motivation is shot down. It doesn't help that I eat when I'm stressed and this didn't help matters.

I look in the mirror in the morning and don't feel or look any different although my bathroom scale disagrees with me there since the numbers are going down on the scale. Does anyone else who has or had type 2 diabetes have an experience they wouldn't mind sharing? How did you gain the confidence to get back up and continue working out? What did you do different in your diet to help with your diabetes while losing weight at the same time?

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear that. Many people in my family have diabetes, and my mother is prediabetic.

In response to your feelings that your working out is for nothing, I would say this: Think of all the positive benefits that come along with exercise. It gives you a nice body, it's great for cardiovascular health, and it can be a natural mood enhancer. As discouraging as the diagnosis may be, just remember that you are worth it and you have the right to exercise and feel great about yourself.

I hope that you will be able to regain the confidence and motivation to get back out there. You are stronger than your diagnosis.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Different people are motivated by different things. Additionally, some people have different circumstances in their surroundings from which those experiences can affect one's motivation differently from someone else outside of those experiences.

For me, seeing what has happened first hand to loved ones who developed type 2 diabetes, some of whom got themselves into great shape to fight it and were doing great, only to stop at some point and later succumb to it.

Diabetes is freaking evil. The things it does to you and the way it takes you out. Seriously, it is not good. It can be a very long, slow and painful decline to death, sadly.

I'm fighting for my life, and to avoid unnecessary pain and suffering to myself, and to those who love me who would otherwise have to watch me go through that.

Type 2 diabetes will never go away. You can get it under control, but it is with people for life, unfortunately. You can be in perfect health and be type 2.

The question is really about how you choose to live as a type 2 diabetic. For some people, options are limited. But they still can make many choices that can affect their health in various ways. I consider myself lucky to be able to have the health and mobility to be able to work myself into the best shape I can, and stave off whatever I can. Not everyone has that option, making recovery and maintaining their existence a lot more difficult.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go to the Type 2 diabetes forum you will find a huge amount of support and good advice. The first thing you need to do is educate yourself on what diabetes is and how you can manage your numbers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! But you still did a good thing... You're healthier now. You know how to adjust your diet too, so it should be a walk in the park for you... just don't give up!
  • Fluffy_Fury
    Options
    My mum was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. We couldn't understand it as she was hardly heavy (categorised as overweight based on her BMI) and she walked a good 5-8 miles a day in her job at work. The doctor said that sometimes it's just unfair in it's selection of people; it just happens - so please don't think that your working out has been for nothing!

My mum lost a lot of weight once she altered her diet. For a while she completely denied herself any sugar/anything close to risky, but she started finding compromises and was actually advised about a month ago that hers is in remission, so you can work your way to a happy compromise! My mum has changed her lifestyle for the rest of her life, but she's feeling so much healthier since her diagnoses! It's also encouraged the rest of my family to change their lifestyle for the better and make the little changes that make a lot of difference.

Have you got a clinic/advisor who can recommend dietary changes? It's really different based on the person and where they're at currently. My mum did have a bit of a sweet tooth but changed to a lot of sugar free/fresh fruit options. Things like sugar free jam/half and half sugar helped her. She also got a book that explained diabetes and the way that food affects it which really helped her to overhaul her meal plans :)
  • caimay149
    caimay149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just imagine what GOOD that working out is doing. Preventing arthritis and osteoporosis later on in your life by protecting your bones. Strengthening your heart. Warding off depression. Keeping your mind sharp - possibly helping to prevent alzheimer's later on in life.

Definitely not for nothing. Just a reinforcement to keep going :)
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. Both my parents were diagnosed. My dad was always an active guy (construction worker, gym every day), yet he got type 2 diabetes from eating only one large meal a day (too much insulin released at once on a regular basis, according to his doctor). My mom got it because she never exercises and eats poorly. My dad doesn't rely on medications. He just keeps his diet in check and keeps working out. He no longer has Type 2 diabetes. For him, it served as a wake-up call to change aspects of his life and become healthier.

It's a lifestyle disease. It's gotten easier for my mother since she lost a little bit of weight. Her doctors have been telling her for almost a decade that all she needs to do is exercise, lose a bit more weight, and she will no longer have Type 2 diabetes. She sticks to her pills. (Mind you, in all other respects, she has infinitely better than my father. Sorry, I had to point it out, out of respect!)

My point is, work with your doctor. Do what you need to do to nip this in the bud.
  • GataRubia
    GataRubia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh Johnnyr24 I am very sorry about your diagnosis and that you are feeling understandably very low right now.

Re the diabetes, maybe take a look at the nhs health website, where they have lots of helpful suggestions and gentle but good advice. You might also be able to find through them an online support group for people who have diabetes where you can share similar experiences and feelings so you don't feel alone or hopeless. The nhs website is uk based, but anyone can go and look for help there. http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Additionally the challenge of weight-loss can seem very tough at times so I have found it best to do the types of exercise where I am motivated by more than just the calories burning. For example while going for a jog might be very high on the calories burning end of the spectrum, for me personally at least I have made more progress by changing my mode of transport to cycling, because aside from being quite good exercise daily, it gives me the feeling of independence and self-sufficiency. Before I took the subway, which actually I have found just makes me nervy and annoyed at other commuters! I would suggest taking a mental break from exercise purely for weight loss and try out a few different things which appeal to you to see what comes naturally and what makes you feel good both during and after, not just when you get on the scales.

Always remember it is so much harder to lose weight than it is to maintain progress, so congratulate yourself for every single pound, or 0.2 of a kilo you lose, and break down your goals into smaller more manageable ones.

I wish you all the best facing the new challenges facing you, and I believe you can overcome them with time, self-appreciation and perseverance.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    im fighting it. i have prediabetes but my endo said if i keep doing what i am doing i can probably beat it.

whether you look different or not, doing what you are doing, losing weight, exercizing, eating right... you can get this under control.

just keep doing your thing, do what your doctors tell you, and dont let something you can control keep you from controlling it.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Go to the Type 2 diabetes forum you will find a huge amount of support and good advice. The first thing you need to do is educate yourself on what diabetes is and how you can manage your numbers.

Education is key, the exercise plays an important part in helping to control your blood/s so it for sure has not been a waste. Proper diet, moving your body and figuring out what types of food help to control BS and which ones to avoid will help you to get it under control. Getting and using a strip tester will help immensley showing you how different things can effect your B/S.
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help and responses I will take a look at the diabetes support forum now. It's just been so stressful and hard because I had a physical last week and then doctor literally said I was fine but just needed to get blood work done was all and now this.

This morning I emptied out my fridge from any of the sugar and junk foods I have which made my fridge look empty. I have to go out and get health foods anything that was unopened I donated to the food pantry. But the is life I have to do this for the sake of my health before it gets any worse then it already is.

I should mention seeing my fridge look almost like a ghost town was hard getting rid of things I'd normally get but can't eat was super hard I didn't think I'd be able to do it.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like the way you cleaned out your refrigerator and are stocking it with foods to help manage diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program so you can learn as much as possible about diabetes and how you can manage it. Starting with an almost-empty refrigerator gives you the opportunity to start over, and that's a wonderful way to begin making changes. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Stay strong and don't abandon your efforts. They will still help. http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/features/diabetes-weight-loss-finding-the-right-path. I was the pushing the limits for a while. It runs in my family.