Importance of fat

Options
Can anybody give me some advice on the importance of fat in one's diet? I am usually way under the goal intake for fat, and over for carbs, and about right (or a bit over) for protein. To give some background I'm a distance runner doing quite a bit of training and am not overweight (currently 55kg and 172cm), but am looking to lose the weight I gained this year due to developing bad eating habits and get back down to my usual weight of 52kg where I perform at my best. Are the extra carbs justified because of my training? Or am I sabotaging my body comp goals? Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• vhrebenyak
    Options
    I don't have any links to give you, but I know that eating fats helps the body absorb vitamins and minerals better. Fat is also incredibly important in a ton of bodily functions. I am not saying to eat spoonful's of fat, but I don't think low to no-fat diets are good for most people (I know some have gallbladder issues & do better on no to low fat.)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    shoot for about 2 teaspoons- to a tablespoon of healthy oils per meal, olive and coconut , have half an avocado in your lunchtime salad.
    your skin and bowels will thank you if you do that>
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Define 'way under'. For what it's worth, I used to have 40-45g of fat, I've increased to 60-70g per day and haven't noticed any difference.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are a key for a lot of proper body functions. Imagine it as oil for the joints (it isn't really, but you do need it). Bodies need it for brain, muscle, organ, and joint functions. Carbs are quicker fuel for your workouts. If you are good on your protein, as long as you aren't cutting all healthy fats out and aren't feeling sluggish, you should still be good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're brain needs it.
    Your intestines need it.
    Fat is a vehicle to move hormones and chemicals to where they need to be inside your body- it's a macro-nutrient- it's important. Most people vastly underestimate fats.

I truly believe "low fat" was one of the worst things to happen to this country- for SO many reasons.

Fat is delicious and makes thing tasty.

I average 70-80 grams (that's my goal- but can range as low as 30 and higher than 100.

Extra carbs are probably adequate- but don't shy away from the fats.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to get some fat is eating tree nuts. I put them in my oatmeal and snack on them. Guacamole is tasty on a wrap too. Cooking veggies in olive oil is great as well I went on an ultra low fat diet once and really felt like crap. That is when I realized that I need fat.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat high fat and protein and lower carbs. I find when I eat a high fat diet I crave less carbs. Also it is great for body function and everything else everyone has already stated. Now mind you I do not get fat from cookies, it is from Coconut Oil, Avocado, Seeds and Meat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A lot of vitamins are "fat soluble" which means they need fat in the body to transport and store them. People who don't get enough healthy fats can become vitamin deficient. It is also important for nerve, brain and heart function.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You're brain needs it.
    Your intestines need it.
    Fat is a vehicle to move hormones and chemicals to where they need to be inside your body- it's a macro-nutrient- it's important. Most people vastly underestimate fats.

I truly believe "low fat" was one of the worst things to happen to this country- for SO many reasons.

I average 70-80 grams (that's my goal- but can range as low as 30 and higher than 100.

Definitely this. I had a time period where I barely had any fat in my diet, and ended up starting to binge. Even now I have to make sure I don't go too low or I will the same urges. I caused so much damage to my body during that time. I was freezing all the time. I was exhausted all the time. I couldn't concentrate or remember anything (I honestly think my bosses were on the verge of firing me). I stopped menstruating, but started having night sweats. It was really crazy. Fat is very important!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    As you're a runner, I'd say the most important benefit is for your joints but you also need it for brain function, hormone production and nutrient uptake. There's probably a lot more that's just the ones I know.
  • baum7934
    Options
    You're already on the low end of the healthy weight range. Dropping to 52kg at your height is underweight. I would suggest you try to maintain where you are now, for the sake of your health.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't they say your brain is mostly (entirely?) fat and water?

In my readings on the topic, it's often said that you shouldn't cut the fat off meats, or eat things labelled "low-fat" (aka, fat replaced with sugar and toxins). Eating unaltered, natural meats and foods, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, fish, etc, should help you get your fats in the best way.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You're brain needs it.
    Your intestines need it.

i don't know if anyone else has noticed this (and it'd be an interesting study), but it seems that the overall intelligence of the country has declined since america adopted a low fat mantra. and since fat is necessary for brain development... :smokin:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're brain needs it.
    Your intestines need it.

i don't know if anyone else has noticed this (and it'd be an interesting study), but it seems that the overall intelligence of the country has declined since america adopted a low fat mantra. and since fat is necessary for brain development... :smokin:

I think you're own to something- we should totally fund a study.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    When the glycogen stores are maxed out through the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats are manufactured from the excess glucose. The body can MAKE whatever fat that it needs.

If the body could make whatever fat it needs, essential fatty acids wouldn't be essential.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just a note- dietary fat does NOT go straight to the brain.

Most all fat is broken down and then reassembled in the body.

When the glycogen stores are maxed out through the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats are manufactured from the excess glucose. The body can MAKE whatever fat that it needs.

Only half the story. Carbs are turned into sugar, which causes insulin to be produced, and excess to be stored as fat. The reverse is true. No carbs means little insulin production, and your body burns fat instead of sugar.

I eat around 100g to 120g of healthy saturated fat a day (around 70% of my cals). I've never felt better, my joint inflammation is all but gone, I have plenty of energy, my mind is sharp, I'm not hungry and I lose about 0.5 to 1kg a week (sometimes more).

Saturated fat in your diet does not turn to fat on your body, carbs do. And saturated fat does not cause cholesterol problems. A low fat diet is the opposite of what people need.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options

If the body could make whatever fat it needs, essential fatty acids wouldn't be essential.

That is an area of controversy and I do not think the concept of essential fats have been proven in humans conclusively.
    Take a look at DHA and infants, there's lots of interesting studies to keep a person wondering till puberty.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Only half the story. Carbs are turned into sugar, which causes insulin to be produced, and excess to be stored as fat. The reverse is true. No carbs means little insulin production, and your body burns fat instead of sugar.
    it's still about calories in vs calories out.
    also if you are serious into lifting good luck keeping your muscle on a low carb diet (if you are natural atleast)