All over workout vs "leg day/arm day"

Options
Hi all!

I have been a member of my gym about 6 weeks now and I have a pretty varied week of classes and gym sessions. As I do a lot of cardio orientated classes my gym session is a lot of strength moves. At the moment I have an all over body workout that I do twice a week. I'm due a review in a week or two and I am wondering if it would be worth splitting it into two separate workouts, so one day I would do all lower body and the next day I go in all upper body. Would this be more or equally effective?

In case it helps my current workout is a warm up on a cross trainer like machine (synchro its called), then I head to the free weights and do 2 sets of 12 squats with 20kg, then 12 lunges on each leg holding 6kg weights, chest press machine 2 sets of 12 with 20kg, pulldown machine 2 sets of 12 with 30kg, overhead press with a barbell (about 15kg I think), same weight for arm curls both 2 sets of 12, close grip push down I'm supposed to do 10kg but I struggle with this so I do about 7.5kg, 2 set of 20 crunches legs up, 2 sets of 30 bicycle crunches then a different cross trainer like machine (vario) and back to the synchro to cool down.

Any suggestions as to what moves to ask for would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think for the best results it's good to hit each body part 2x's a week, so I would keep it the way your doing it.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I depends on what your goals are and what else you are doing. A body builder has different goals than someone who wants to become generally healthier.
  • DirtyLittleRemix
    DirtyLittleRemix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At the moment its general health, body building might be something I look into in the future but it's not something I am ready to commit to at present!

My week generally consists of school runs each week day (about 2 hours of gentle strolling for that), Monday I do a hour yoga class, Tuesday I hit the gym and a half hour abs class, Wednesday step and tone and body combat (2 hours altogether), Thursday gym. Friday rest, weekend varies as have all three kiddies and no crèche!

Edit: Body combat is a cardio class, not sure if other gyms do it
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can even add a strength day if you wanted and drop a cardio day. IMO, people who are just starting out are better off with a total body routine 3 days a week than a split 4-5 days a week.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think you'd greatly benefit from doing a strength training program that focuses on compound exercises. You'd get more bang for your fitness buck that way.

People that do upper and lower splits are usually people that weight train every day, so they alternate in order to give certain muscle groups a day of rest.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think you'd greatly benefit from doing a strength training program that focuses on compound exercises. You'd get more bang for your fitness buck that way.

People that do upper and lower splits are usually people that weight train every day, so they alternate in order to give certain muscle groups a day of rest.

Yea for five day weight training. You can still do that split and do compound exercises. They go first then any accessory (assistant) workouts.
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yea for five day weight training. You can still do that split and do compound exercises. They go first then any accessory (assistant) workouts.

What are compound exercises??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    squat, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, pull ups, etc...... exercises that use more than one muscle group
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

What are compound exercises??

Compound exercise use multiple muscle groups. Bench press, squats, deadlift, are compound lifts. There is claims that overhead press is a compound lift too.
  • jesslo800
    Options
    I'm quite a noob so others might know more,my personal experience:When i started i did all over body workouts. As i progressed to heavier weight and more intense workouts i found that the full body workouts didn't give me a chance to really focus and give it my all. I was also still sore the next workout so it was difficult. I switched to upper\lower body days and i'm finding it much better. My strength and appearance results got better as well.