Trouble Tonight

So a friend of mine is set on trying out a new restaurant tonight. After looking at their menu, I'm pretty discouraged. I can't take another salad (although there's only one on the menu), but I have NO idea what kind of calories I'm looking at for the other food. I'm thinking my best bets are the baked beans, roasted beets, and stewed tomatoes. I REALLY want the meatloaf but have no idea if I'm looking at 1,000 calories or 3,000. Tough with a 1270 calorie/day limit. Anyone have ideas?

http://ac-restaurants.com/beasleys/food/

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    1.) why 1270? seems awfully low for a grown woman.

2.) I have nothing- I just looked at that menu and it made me dry heave- nothing looks appealing- you couldn't pay me to eat there.

3.) The only thing I'd actually eat there is the salad- and that is honestly the best bet.

4.) I don't see anything really appetizer-iey that is edible (to me) but if you cant' stomach another salad- I'd just eat something filling- but low cal in advance- and eat an appetizer and then tell your friend she's fired from picking restaurants.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    I would say if it's a rare/special occasion you should just get the meatloaf and eat half. I hate paying for food that I don't really want.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    At only 1270 calories your body can probably use the boost in calories occasionally.... I'd eat the chicken biscuit with mixed greens side because it sounds the best to me.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Wow, that is a very limited menu. I honestly don't know what to tell ya on this one other than don't go or choke down the salad lol. Sorry. :/
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    That menu is impressively tiny. I don't know about that place........ I agree with the previous post... if it sucks, your friend is fired from picking!! ;-) ;-)

I would get the fried chicken and pick off all the skin and fried parts and just eat the chicken itself, and only have some of it.
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    That's quite a menu! I think it all looks pretty good... How often do you eat out? If it's a rare treat, enjoy it in moderation. I agree with the person who said order what you want and eat half. You can even ask them to pre-box half of your meal so you aren't tempted to eat more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I agree that 1270 seems low. I never had to eat less than 1600 calories to lose weight... you do realize that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories, right? Although that doesn't really help as most of those items are probably over 1000 calories anyway (mashed potatoes are typically 300 calories a serving or more).

Frankly I'd have the chicken biscuit with a side of baked beans or the mixed greens. Most chicken biscuits in the database are 500ish calories... beans are probably 250. Or you could have the quarter fried chicken and remove the skin/crust.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    I wouldn't be able to eat there because of my food intolerances. Not one thing on the menu would be safe for me. Maybe you should get a food intolerance so you can pick the restaurant, lol. Really, even if I could eat that stuff, none of it sounds appealing. Good luck.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I would probably eat a half portion of the chicken and waffles. YUM. But that's mainly because I love me some chkn n waffles.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    That is an awful menu... Sorry u have to go there lol
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    I'm at 1270 calories because I'm pretty overweight and am looking to get rid of 15 or 20 lbs quick before upping my calories into the 1500/1600 calorie range for "slow and steady" loss.

The more it's mentioned, the chicken biscuit DOES look pretty good. I've been eating pretty light today to save myself 700 calories or so for dinner tonight. I know I'll go over...I'm just hoping not to go ridiculously, over the top crazy over.
  • rosepeppercreek
    rosepeppercreek Posts: 160 Member
    I would totally do the pick three sides, and get the mixed greens, green cabbage slaw, stewed tomatoes, or creamed collards. Even though the last one is probably filled with cream and cheese, the collards are really good for you! Otherwise, get the meatloaf but switch out the potatoes!
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Go with the quarter fried chicken -- the calorie variance for fried chicken is not that high, and I'd estimate that the entrée (not inclusive of any sides) would be 600 calories. A fried drumstick is 120 calories, 7g fat, 3g carbs. And chicken is fairly lean and full of protein.

For the sides, avoid the baked beans - even though beans are high in fiber, sorghum adds a lot of sugar which boosts the calorie content. The roasted beets with a vinaigrette may be a healthier option. Slaw is hit or miss depending on how much sugar they add and if they use a base with a high fat content -- most restaurants do not make this a healthy option.

Hope this helps!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Definitely a limited menu! Ugh! I don't envy you, but try to eat only half of whatever you do pick (none of the menu items sound particularly healthy) aside from the salads. They don't even have roasted or steamed veggies!:ohwell: And yes, you can always use this as your cheat day and get back on the wagon tomorrow.

Good luck with your choices!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm at 1270 calories because I'm pretty overweight and am looking to get rid of 15 or 20 lbs quick before upping my calories into the 1500/1600 calorie range for "slow and steady" loss.
    that's not how this works.

you should eat a more reasonable amount- nothing about this process is quick and easy.
    The more it's mentioned, the chicken biscuit DOES look pretty good. I've been eating pretty light today to save myself 700 calories or so for dinner tonight. I know I'll go over...I'm just hoping not to go ridiculously, over the top crazy over.

At that place- you're going to go over- plain and simple- it's all southern fried food. Even the green things are going to be ridiculous expensive- so just do your best- split the meal in half if you can- eat in advance and then fire your friend.
  • I would get the meatloaf without the potatoes, and add the slaw and stewed tomatoes, ask for a to go plate from the get go, half it before eating and enjoy yourself!!
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Get what you want and ask them to box up half before they even bring it to the table. Good Luck!!
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Chicken wings without the "white sauce" .. or on the side for a little dipping.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    So a friend of mine is set on trying out a new restaurant tonight. After looking at their menu, I'm pretty discouraged. I can't take another salad (although there's only one on the menu), but I have NO idea what kind of calories I'm looking at for the other food. I'm thinking my best bets are the baked beans, roasted beets, and stewed tomatoes. I REALLY want the meatloaf but have no idea if I'm looking at 1,000 calories or 3,000. Tough with a 1270 calorie/day limit. Anyone have ideas?

http://ac-restaurants.com/beasleys/food/

Hi there,

Since all you asked about was what ideas people had regarding your food choices, and since you've been on MFP for a while you were probably already well aware that people were going to chastise you for your calorie limit....if it was me, I would probably get the salad and the meatloaf. I would try to get in some extra exercise today/tomorrow (within 24 hrs or so), and be sure I drank a lot of water before going out to eat. I would have what I wanted, in moderation, and try to do penance for whatever overage by adding in the workout. Also, if it was really indulgent, i'd be sure to eat very healthy the next few days and keep an eye on how I felt after the indulgence and if it affected my weight.

Just really remember, eating out with a friend should really be more about you and your friend then you and your food. Enjoy the time together, experience the new restaurant and don't get discouraged!!