underactive thyroid

Options
Is there anyone else that has the problem of an underactive thyroid? I'm wanting to know if you find it more difficult to loose weight because of it, even if you are exercising? And if so, what did you do?

Replies

• Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had the exact opposite, an overactive thyroid. My thyroid levels were so high that I had to get several radioactive iodine treatments. I also had a visible goitre. My doctor had me on 18 pills a day.
    Because of my thyroid I was ALWAYS hungry and never had any energy despite how much I ate.
    The problem came after the iodine treatments when I got better and my thyroid levels started slowly go back to normal while my eating habits didn't. I gained 40-50lbs. I still have an overactive thyroid but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
    For me, losing weight is 70% Diet and 30% Exercise. If you are just starting out and have a thyroid problem then I would say that you should first change your eating habits and focus on your diet because it is hard to exercise when your thyroid levels are to high or too low because your thyroid is literal sucking up all of your energy.
    BUT as always, consult your doctor before you do anything.
  • BeattyCarolyn1964
    Options
    Thanks for the info..I did consult my doctor and he told me to start walking so I've started implementing a daily walk and I also get on the exercise bike for 3-5 kms/day.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and I struggle to lose weight. I've been on meds for 20+ years and I fight for every ounce. It's discouraging. I exercise as well and truthfully...I don't think it helps with anything except I feel better mentally and physically when I do it. I'm not sure if we're supposed to workout for hours a day to see weight loss? I don't have that kind of time.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find mine makes it so I need to eat about 200 cals less per day than a normal woman of my size, age, activity level. So, to lose a lb per week I need a 700 daily calorie deficit over a 500 cal deficit. Or I just track as if I was sedentary even though I'm active. Works for me.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Are you taking synthroid?

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Syndrome about 11 years ago, but losing weight isn't really that difficult. I've been losing steadily about 1 to 2 pounds a week for 2 months now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I see people about my size talk about losing weight while eating 1500-2000 calories a day, so I kind of wish I could be one of those people. It might be harder for me than them.

But there are many people who have it harder than I do. With my Synthroid, I am now able to lose weight. That is a wonderful thing and I remember to grateful for it every day.

The exercise is a tremendous and IMO almost (if not completely!) necessary thing if you rely on synthetic hormones. People say that weight loss is achieved in the kitchen, but I don't believe that.

If you want to lose with less than adequate amounts of natural thyroid hormone, I suggest some exercise in the mix.

And don't skip your doctor appointments. Duh. :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and take 100mcg of levothyroxine daily. I do not struggle to lose weight. I lose weight at more or less exactly at the rate scientists have put forward according to the laws of thermodynamics. Weirdly, I am not breaking any scientific laws of nature, even with my condition. Go figure.

Seriously, though, if it adds any weight at all, it's going to be water weight, and it may increase your appetite and make you have less energy to move around and burn calories.

Just keep going. Don't pay attention to daily and weekly weigh ins, and don't let yourself slip up too often, and you will lose weight. But half of you is water, and you can expect your water weight to fluctuate by 5 pounds or more depending on your size, which can completely mask weight loss in the short term (think a few weeks). Pay more attention to the TREND of your weight data over months, instead. You will see that it all adds up in the long run.
  • gorgeousofiaxx
    gorgeousofiaxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 27 and i've had underactive thyroid since 1998. i find it very hard to lose weight also - it's just something i have had to learn to accept that everything takes longer than the normal person. good luck everyone xxx
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos thyroid/ hemi thyroidectomy 4 yrs ago. Personally my weight loss is slow. I take 125mg of levo but still have some symptoms. I do think I need an increase. UK drs work on lab numbers rather than individuals. I think that's an issue.
    I have only a small amount to lose, it seems I'm always on a 'diet'. Its taken me 6wks to drop 3lb.
    Good luck in your quest.