SPINACH!!!

Options
SO I figured out a new fantastic meal addiiton. At only 7 calories per cup: IT IS SPINACH. It doesn't taste as much like nothing as you would think. And it is full of vitamins and involves lots of chewing. I'm going to try to eat raw spinach with every meal to help me get through the day. Maybe this should be a blog post. If you have any foods you like as tricks please share. xx

Replies

• Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Love it. You've inspired me. :-)
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes..I love spinach too!

I add to my homemade pizzas, omelettes, sandwiches and pan fry it with mushrooms and garlic as a side.:happy:
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love it. You've inspired me. :-)
    @flyers1010 love
  • popupvideo
    Options
    Yes..I love spinach too!

I add to my homemade pizzas, omelettes, sandwiches and pan fry it with mushrooms and garlic as a side.:happy:
    Yum! That all sounds so yummy. I have to remember: HEAT. Heating food is always better. Though there is something primal about eating raw spinach.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I add it to sandwiches instead of lettuce. I regularly have spinach salads as well. I will warn you to weigh it rather than using cups, otherwise you'll likely be off (not so much calories since they're so low, but the vitamins/minerals). I don't know how they came up with 2 cups = 3 ounces, but you'd have to smash those cups full!
  • popupvideo
    Options
    I add it to sandwiches instead of lettuce. I regularly have spinach salads as well. I will warn you to weigh it rather than using cups, otherwise you'll likely be off (not so much calories since they're so low, but the vitamins/minerals). I don't know how they came up with 2 cups = 3 ounces, but you'd have to smash those cups full!
    I should get a food scale. I think I'm a good eyeballer. Great point in counting in the vitamins. I really do think the vitamins make a difference!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I prefer it to lettuce for a salad. Scramble it in with eggs and onion and even add it to stir fry. It's very versatile.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Raw spinach in sandwich wraps and salads. Frozen spinach in soup, stew, omelets. It's convenient to store the packages of frozen spinach and it doesn't go bad.
  • popupvideo
    Options
    I prefer it to lettuce for a salad. Scramble it in with eggs and onion and even add it to stir fry. It's very versatile.
    Onion.. there's another one. I make hot-onion salads sometimes with just onion and oil. Genius!
  • popupvideo
    Options
    Raw spinach in sandwich wraps and salads. Frozen spinach in soup, stew, omelets. It's convenient to store the packages of frozen spinach and it doesn't go bad.
    I haven't bought frozen spinach yet. It's more to feed that chewing impulse I have sometimes when water doesn't cut it. Frozen spinach in soup is also genius.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys that love spaghetti, but I try to avoid/limit my pasta, so instead of pasta I put spaghetti sauce on raw spinich and I love it. Psychologically , its not spaghetti, but a good work around.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think spinach also helps with protein intake.
    1007265-popeye.jpg
  • kellys1984
    kellys1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys that love spaghetti, but I try to avoid/limit my pasta, so instead of pasta I put spaghetti sauce on raw spinich and I love it. Psychologically , its not spaghetti, but a good work around.

That is a really good idea... I will try that :)
  • desoray08
    desoray08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like eating spinach on sandwiches instead of lettuce!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I think spinach also helps with protein intake.
    1007265-popeye.jpg

It does, and you beat me to the popeye gif.

popeye.gif

Spinach, egg and Parmesan is my crack. =)
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is also good for the spaghetti idea, you just cut it in half scoop out the seeds and bake it.

i'm going to try to Spinach idea too!!

Can you re-freeze spinach?? I live by myself and would like to try frozen spinach in eggs, was thinking of thawing out a brick of spinach, cutting it into individual portions, and then refreezing to make it easier to add to eggs. Has anyone done this?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter and spinach sandwich every day.
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes..I love spinach too!

Me 3!!!!!!

It is good with all of the above
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Spinach is my fav as well!!!!!
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with the others who've said it: raw spinach over lettuce for salads all the way! My wife and I eat pounds of raw spinach for lunches every week.

Other side bonus: the pre-washed, organic baby spinach we buy comes in a handy, recyclable plastic box that makes keeping it in the fridge easy!