New Owner of a Food Scale!!!

Options
Hello all!

I am proud to announce that, after much deliberation, I have finally decided to go out and purchase a food scale! So far I love it! The scale even has a bunch of foods with pre-loaded nutrition facts, which so far I have verified online just in case. I was wondering if anybody has any tips, tricks, advice, or words of wisdom for me? Where do you store your scale, how often do you use it, and how much do you think it has helped you with your new lifestyle? Thank you for any answers that you may have! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I have two. One died... One is on the counter and one on the dining room table. I just weigh everything... put the plate on, turn it on, it will show 0, then add my foot one thing at a time and tare it in between. Done.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I keep mine right on the counter, so I don't have to waste time looking for it.

My tip - I put the plate (or bowl) on it, then turn it on - so it's ready to weigh my food as soon as I am. :D I love that I can add food, zero it out, add the next food, zero it out... makes it easy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Food scale sits on the countertop for use whenever I want it

I use the 100g entry in the database for foods whenever I can for easy logging (weigh 66g, log 0.66 servings). I suspect using MFP's 1g conversion will have the same effect

I do not turn my scale off anymore but instead let it time out. If I'm cooking and weighing multiple items I might tap it from time to time so it doesn't time out, making me have to wait for it to power on before I can weigh the next item :)
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas! Thank you!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I have two. One at work and one at home. If the one at home ever gets put up, it goes in the thin cabinet above the microwave. But most of the time it gets moved back and forth between the bar and the dining table. The one at work goes in my desk drawer when I lock up for the day, other than that, it is on the corner of my desk.

It is a good idea to weigh your pots and bowls, so that when you are cooking a recipe that isn't easy to cut into slices, you can weigh it, do the math, then decide on portion size. Like mentioned above, the 100g thing makes life easier.

And I weigh everything.

Good luck, and enjoy your new scale.

Larro
  • joverine
    joverine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    the plate/bowl on and zero as you add like everyone said works great !! no scrapping salad dressing out of spoons or anything like that. less dishes easier clean up :)
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Mine stays on the counter next to the stove.

As far as tips go, when you're weighing something out of a container like a spoonful of peanut butter or yogurt, remove the lid, set the container on the scale, zero out, scoop out your portion, and the negative reading is your measurement.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options

As far as tips go, when you're weighing something out of a container like a spoonful of peanut butter or yogurt, remove the lid, set the container on the scale, zero out, scoop out your portion, and the negative reading is your measurement.

^^^^This. I use this method to get 50 g of Greek yogurt every morning. When you have removed the amount you need, just lick the spoon and you are still getting the right amount.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tag for reference, thx!
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I keep mine right on the counter, so I don't have to waste time looking for it.

My tip - I put the plate (or bowl) on it, then turn it on - so it's ready to weigh my food as soon as I am. :D I love that I can add food, zero it out, add the next food, zero it out... makes it easy.
    Oh my gosh, I didn't realize you could do that -- I've been weighing each thing individually -- I'm glad I looked at this thread, and thanks for your post!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Oh, I like this. Sticky things are maddening.
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Haha I would never have thought about using a negative/lesser measurement for sticky things... that sounds like a great idea! And I have peanut butter a lot, too :wink:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I am proud to announce that, after much deliberation, I have finally decided to go out and purchase a food scale! So far I love it! The scale even has a bunch of foods with pre-loaded nutrition facts, which so far I have verified online just in case. I was wondering if anybody has any tips, tricks, advice, or words of wisdom for me? Where do you store your scale, how often do you use it, and how much do you think it has helped you with your new lifestyle? Thank you for any answers that you may have! :flowerforyou:

I keep my scale in a drawer next to the fridge. Some days it hangs out all day on the counter though.

When I first got my scale I looked up foods in the database, but that was a great big pain for me. Too many imperial measurements, too much math required for the entries that are in grams (e.g. something listed in grams only has the option of 30g, but I need to log 7g.), too many entries inputted in a stupid way (e.g. every serving amount listed in the dropdown has 5oz in parenthesis next to it, despite the options increasing in portion size), and how many servings total are in whatever as if that info is somehow useful and not prone to screwing the whole entry up.
    I only use the database now for foods that are single serving prepackaged, the few decent entries that ended up in my frequent foods list, or for things I'm pretty sure I'm not going to log again in the near future.

Everything else I just create a whole new entry for myself and pull my food from "my foods" whenever I log. So if some food item I eat regularly has the nutrition label being for 28g a serving, I create a new entry for that food and copy the label EXCEPT for the number of servings total (i.e. I ignore that it has 40 servings in a package/tub/etc). My 28g entry is entered as if it's a single serving food, because I really don't care how many servings there are total, that information is useless to me for logging, if not a point of aggravation. This way, when I go to log, the only choices I have is 1g or 28g from the drop down, and then I enter the quantity in the quantity box. So if I have 27g, I then pick 1g and type in the qty box: 27. If I have 28g, then I pick 28g and type in qty: 1. If I have 200g, I pick 1g and type in qty: 200. If I have 56g, I pick 1g and type in qty box: 56. I could also pick 28g and qty 2 but that's math..

This may seem like a lot of work, and it is initially when creating new entries, until you have personal entries for most of your foods that are in regular rotation ready to go, then logging is sooo much easier. I think it's a lot more work to use the database to hunt down the most sensible entry for your food item (and have to do a bunch of math/fractions anyway regardless) multiple times a day.

I also was going to suggest the tip of weighing peanut butter (or anything you spoon out) by putting the tub on the scale, zeroing out, and then logging the negative. When I first came across that tip, my world changed, lol.
  • kelso830
    kelso830 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for reference! Thanks guys for all of the great advice, looking to purchase a food scale today!! :happy:
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.